777 vs Pyrodex

Fantail

You can use any of the Pyrodex subs or real BP.I prefer FF granulation myself.My Omega shoots best with Select,T-7 and Goex.There are some subs that do not require cleaning to prevent the barrel from rusting but the ones I tried sucked.Might shoot good one day but not the next.Shelf life was non-existent.Your best bet is to try whatever is available in your area and see which your gun prefers.It can make quite a difference in accuracy.Same goes for the powder charge and bullets.

I don't know about "recommended"  but I prefer the 777 loose powder . I know that when I push the ramrod down the barrel that it is tighht against the powder .... no air space . If I don't fire my in-line that day , the powder and bullet stay in . I tried different measures and found that 90 grains of 777 work best for me .

I always wondered if the pellets fit loose in a barrel and if they would break down over a couple of days . I would guess there would be an air space if they aren't a tight fit .

I have shot T7 and pryodex loose and pellets.Also blackhorn 209.Just what ever each person likes better I guess.

At the rainge I use loose but for hunting I use pellets.I have not seen any difference between T7 pellets or pyrodex pellets when shooting conicals.T7 leaves a crud "ring" but seems to be easier to clean up with just some water.

If I go hunting at camp for the weekend I have left pellets in there for three days then had no issue shooting the gun off or un-loading from the breech plug.

I prefer loose for 3 reasons.First I get better accuracy and second it cost's far less than the pellets.Third reason is I thought I might get away with not having to clean the gun as often by simply pulling the breech plug but the pellets crumbled some when I sat the bullet so that killed that idea.Now I just leave the gun outside overnight to prevent any moisture problems.

I would say the b est answer would be which ever your gun shoots the best. when yoy say there is a place thta sells both on the way to camp do you plan to buy some the day before season and sight your gun in?  Get soem now see how it shoots and of the accuracy isnt there, switch to another.  It taes a lot of time to wor up a good load not 10 minutes at the range with the powder and bullets a buddy uses.

I find 777 much more reliable in ignition than Pyrodex, especially in very damp conditions. As well, I always found Pyrodex to be little better than BP in line of clean up. It does buy you some time, but you still can have a hell of a mess if you dont clean up promptly.777 is almost carefree for clean up, and in very damp (or wet) conditions have never had a fail to fire.

• 2 weeks later...

triple 7 is a good powder and it is easy to clean.  It gives good velocity and is less corrosive than pyrodex .  Pyrodex is just as corrosive as black in my opinion . Some people say its more corrosive but Im not sure.  I just know that it is corrosive period.  It is made with a lot of the same things but other additives to get it to burn cleaner. I now fellas who build custom muzzleloaders and guys who shoot very expensive Black powder Cartridge guns that wont let pyrodex near their guns. The point is this just because it leaves less fouling doesent mean you can delay the cleaning.

To me it has other properties i dont like. One being a short shelf life. Ive had more hangfires with Pyrodex than anything.  And I 've never achieved the accuracy with it that i can with black powder and that includes inlines not just traditional styles sidelocks. The only Pyrodex close to real black for accuracy to me was Pyrodex Select.

777 cleans easy and leaves little fouling but i dont think they claim its non corrosive.

• 3 weeks later...

I have to laugh at many of the powder reviews. I especially like the 3 shot clover leaf holes at 50 yards. All of them are shot off the bench and with a scope which is not a great feat.

It seems the main driven fact is the dislike of cleaning afterwards.

I don't know $30.00 for 10oz of powder doesn't leave a fella lots to fool around with. @ 100gr per shot you get just over 43 shots.

If I had to go that route a fella may as well purchase a Savage ML10 and shoot smokeless powder.

This will be my 3rd year with it and it impresses me everytime I shoot it.  Ease of cleaning is a big plus.  A Hoppes patch down the barrel a couple times, a clean patch to follow it up and you are done.  That easy.  I have done alot of range time and out of my Encore (and alot of my hunting partners use the same load out of various rifles) I am shooting 90 grains of BH.  Some research I have done says that is the equivalent to 115 grains of loose 777.  I am going to work up a new load when I get to the range changing from the SST/ML which I have been shooting to a Hornady XTP.  Just not sure if I want to use a 240 Gr, 250 Gr or a 300 Gr.   

@ 100gr per shot you get just over 43 shots.

100gr volume of BH weighs about 70gr.

Means you get about 63 shots per container.

It is extremely consistant as well.

Must look like gravel~ oughts and ones

I had a customer give  me 3 per measured tubes that contained a powder he claimed would not ignite everytime with his #11 cap inline.

I dumped them out and the granules were the size of 1F cannon powder.

I'd bet it was BlackHorn.

I doubt very much it was BH. It is tiny cylinders - all pretty much identical to each other from top to bottom with no fines like most all powders.

It is not intended for 11 cap's - hence the name BH 209.

It was designed for magmum 209 ignition and is a progressive burning powder.

I have to laugh at many of the powder reviews. I especially like the 3 shot clover leaf holes at 50 yards. All of them are shot off the bench and with a scope which is not a great feat.

I don't know $30.00 for 10oz of powder doesn't leave a fella lots to fool around with. @ 100gr per shot you get just over 43 shots.

If I had to go that route a fella may as well purchase a Savage ML10 and shoot smokeless powder.

If you were going to shoot a gun for accuracy how else would you do it except off a bench?  I do that with my encore and sidekick with pyrodex select.  So it is no biggie.  the powder doesnt make the shooter, the shooter makes the load that shoots that way regardless of what powder or projectile. 

If you were going to shoot a gun for accuracy how else would you do it except off a bench?  I do that with my encore and sidekick with pyrodex select.  So it is no biggie.  the powder doesnt make the shooter, the shooter makes the load that shoots that way regardless of what powder or projectile.

That's not my point that a bench is used. How about off hand shooting accuracy?

I just think its funny how a 3 shot group at 50 yards with a scope is considered accurate by some. To initially sight in at 50 yards OK .

WTH I have an old Ithaca model 51 smoothbore that can do that. I understood all the argument for inlines and scopes was so a fella could shoot that thirdy pointer at 200 plus yards.

Elbridge gun club is having a ML shoot the 5&6th~ bring you ML down and enter a few events. I'm sure a inline match can be set up. :D

I have sho tat the elbridge clubn with a frend of mine. I dont need ot bring the inline. I can  bring the sidelock t/c hawen that I can drive tacs at 100 offhand as well as the new englander sidelock shotgun. Betewwn port leydon. gouverneur elbridge, I haequite a few trophis with both.  So I guess I am sayng I can hold my own with either one.