Whole venison backstraps

boo711

Had one of the backstraps  from the deer I got this year.  First time I have ever left one whole.  Was thinking of wrapping it in bacon before cooking it.  Just wanted to get some ideas as to how you guys cook them?  Grill?  Oven or broiler??  Smoker??  Thanks for any tips.

• Like 1

I freeze all of mine in whole sections usually 9" long or so. They just cookup the best that way.  I fry them in butter and garlic on high heat on each side spooning butter in pan over them as I cook them or Wrap in bacon on the grill and smoker. 

If I want steaks I butterfly cut them and make steaks. Can't go wrong pretty much any way unless you make jerky out of it , cause that would make me cry. Lol.  (I've never been able to make deer jerky cause of my Dad the chef.  He would say" how can you possibly use that beautiful venison to make meat you can stick in your pocket?")

• Like 2

This is a family favorite. I leave them whole and freeze them. When I'm ready, I marinate them with olive oil and apple cider vinegar (1:1) and Montreal steak seasoning for at least 24 hrs. Then I get the coals in the fire pit good and hot. I put the strap on a spit and grill it whole, rotating it every couple minutes. I use this recipe to turn skeptics into believers.

• Like 2

2 things i do is cut them into 3rds and just a little salt and pepper.  But i also butterfly it stuff it with cream cheese cherry tomatoes,some sort of pepper coat it with salt pepper and brown sugar. Then i lightly cook bacon so i can still wrap it and stick in the over or put it in tin foil and cook it on the grill. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

How long do you cook it for? What temp? Looks awesome. I wanna try it. 

I cooked the bacon wrapped at 350 low n slow until the bacon almost done  then quick few minutes under broiler to crisp up the bacon.  The Sous vide  with a quick cast iron sear for unwrapped is still my favorite way though. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just two sins for cooking venison: smoking and well done. smoking because invariably you are overcooking it (slow but through) and you always want it on the rare side...no fat to moisten it. Like someone else said, usually best hot and fast! McCormick seasoning has a number of different meat rub mixes we like a lot, including a New Orleans style, and a Chipotle garlic....but they are all good. The New orleans is my favorite....season well, get cast iron piping hot with a generous amount of butter (adds fat) perhaps with some garlic in it, and sear it on all sides. We like ours plenty rare. Venison is well done when it is medium rare.

• Like 1