Whole venison backstraps

boo711

13 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I will NEVER understand how you can eat that and not shoot does. Ill hang up and listen to your reply.

Bone-in ribeye taste a little better to me. Followed by Venison, Lamb, Pork.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

2 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Wait...bone-in is NOT the same as ANTLERED.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my dream would be venison backstraps wrapped around 182" of pure unadulterated typical antlers! "Fall off the bone tender"

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

1 minute ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

let me know when free bone in ribeye is wandering around the woods for the taking

Luckily I bought 100-head of angus in arizona  few years back. rather than keep the profits, i keep the meat

33 minutes ago, crappyice said:

I follow this one...sort of.

https://foodforhunters.blogspot.com/2012/02/buck-wellington.html?m=1

Going by memory, that's just about identical to the one I use. Good stuff!

I try to get somewhat artistic with the puff pastry. Trouble is, I'm not very artistic. That's supposed to be a buck up top, a broadhead down below, and beech leaves in the middle.

IMG_6606.JPG

• Like 5

Just now, Steuben Jerry said:

Going by memory, that's just about identical to the one I use. Good stuff!

I try to get somewhat artistic with the puff pastry. Trouble is, I'm not very artistic. That's supposed to be a buck up top, a broadhead down below, and beech leaves in the middle.

IMG_6606.JPG

Thats awesome, looks delicious!

• Like 1

we had new england polled herefords on the family farm for most of my life growning up. black angus are over rated. more in how you raise, finish, and butcher them. i'm not sure i get owning walking ribeyes on the other side of the country. seems like a logistical dependence problem if you ask me.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
I freeze all of mine in whole sections usually 9" long or so. They just cookup the best that way.  I fry them in butter and garlic on high heat on each side spooning butter in pan over them as I cook them or Wrap in bacon on the grill and smoker. 
If I want steaks I butterfly cut them and make steaks. Can't go wrong pretty much any way unless you make jerky out of it , cause that would make me cry. Lol.  (I've never been able to make deer jerky cause of my Dad the chef.  He would say" how can you possibly use that beautiful venison to make meat you can stick in your pocket?")

Reading this made me smile

• Like 2

Pittsburgh venison loin.

Recipe from Quality Venison Cookbook by Steve & Gale Loder. Circa 1998. My back strap go to for many years now. Butter/olive oil, soy sauce, spicey brown mustard, fresh garlic, black pepper. Double the sauce recipe because it doesn't make enough for putting on sides. You ll want more trust me. I caught my veggie loving girlfriend licking this off her plate once lol. She said she would drink it.

325 for 35min will put you right at 145 degrees meat temp. Overcook it and not so good. This will be quite rare but the ends will be pink, the middle of the roast bloody. Cut with a fork tender. Something for everyone. Perfect for popping in the microwave tomorrow if you have leftovers. 

20200320_200253.jpg

• Like 3

• 5 months later...
On 3/5/2020 at 11:37 AM, Steuben Jerry said:

No problem, but that's on my home pc (at work now).

Any chance you'd still be willing to share this recipe??  Thinking this could be the Friday night before the opener at hunting camp dinner

• Like 1

1 hour ago, boo711 said:

Any chance you'd still be willing to share this recipe??  Thinking this could be the Friday night before the opener at hunting camp dinner

That one that Crappyice posted above is just about identical. I don't have that PC any longer, and it was a bookmark on my browser.

It’s a great meal. And one you can cook ahead and reheat. I actually like it better the day after