Eagles on a gut pile

corydd7

guy near Glenfield (east side of Tug Hill) was putting out road kill for the eagles last winter, Haven't checked this year. Took a grandson up last year and there were 5 eagles between two locations. At our sportsmens federation meeting Monday, one of the guys mentioned that a person in southern Oneida County is doing the same this year.

NOTE: Just looked at his website (Tri Ponds Taxidermy) and he is looking for carcasses and road kill. Has a picture up of 4 adult eagles and 3 Juveniles.

Very cool. I tagged along to the mall with the wife this weekend so I could see the Eagles wintering on Onondaga lake. The lake is not iced over as usual so there were not as many but we saw 7 or 8 of them. At times they have had 40-50 eagles there.

Congrats, it's a thrill to get eagles. I had a golden on my bone yard last fall. I posted a photo in one of those non-lead ammo arguments that are common on this site. (You know, the ones where I'm regularly accused of being part of an anti-gun conspiracy.)  

The first photo has 3 eagles - 2 adults and a juvenile that looks like a hatch year bird.

This type of feeding is why we keep pushing non-lead ammo. Redtails and eagles love gut piles and dead deer. They are incredibly sensitive to lead. A Catskill wildlife rehabilitator has treated 7 eagles since deer season for lead poisoning. Those are what survived long enough to be found. 

You can find tons of information on this topic at the link in my signature line. We also produced a 13 minute video a few years back. It can be found at doas.us.

BTW - lead is also bad for people.

Edited by Curmudgeon
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Congrats, it's a thrill to get eagles. I had a golden on my bone yard last fall. I posted a photo in one of those non-lead ammo arguments that are common on this site. (You know, the ones where I'm regularly accused of being part of an anti-gun conspiracy.)  

The first photo has 3 eagles - 2 adults and a juvenile that looks like a hatch year bird.

This type of feeding is why we keep pushing non-lead ammo. Redtails and eagles love gut piles and dead deer. They are incredibly sensitive to lead. A Catskill wildlife rehabilitator has treated 7 eagles since deer season for lead poisoning. Those are what survived long enough to be found. 

You can find tons of information on this topic at the link in my signature line. We also produced a 13 minute video a few years back. It can be found at doas.us.

BTW - lead is also bad for people.

At the risk of being unpopular, I agree.  I switched to copper a few years back after I watched a documentary on what lead bullets are doing to eagle populations in the Mississippi River valley.  At least for deer season.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

At the risk of being unpopular, I agree.  I switched to copper a few years back after I watched a documentary on what lead bullets are doing to eagle populations in the Mississippi River valley.  At least for deer season.

No reason why that should make you unpopular.  It's your choice- and, far as I recall, nobody on this forum has ever advocated for a ban on lead.  I switched a few years ago also.

• Like 1