First time garden from seed

So my wife and I bought a house and we have about a third of an acre field that I plan on using for herbs, vegetables and sunflowers. I'm thinking of starting my eggplant, peppers and tomatoes on Sunday. 

In this area that will be about 8 weeks before last frost. Anybody do semi large garden from seeds? Any suggestions or things I should worry about? I'm a little intimidated to tear up the full field and now I'm thinking about running strips of plastic black mulch to increase soil temps and reduce weeds. Bad idea? Good idea? I don't pretend to be a pro even after doing well with raised beds so any input is welcome.

Thanks as always

A garden that large black plastic is your friend, I have never had much luck from.seed other than squash ,corn, peas beans but I'm planting direct to ground.  Plants need lot of heat light and water or they grow thin and spindly.. and have to be acclimatized to outdoor temps slowly..

imo

buy a bunch of flats leave it to the professionals. 

Peas will be 1st.to get in ground as seed for me..  corn and squash in may, and potatoes  in may.

• Like 1

You also need a good hit of indoor space to rotate the seedlings and transplant to larger vessels. Watering those pods can be tedious.

Good luck- take lots of pics as one of the most satisfying feelings is seeing something you plant grow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Well I'm off. About 85% germination on eggplant, peppers, tomatoes, lettuce, sunflowers, cucumbers, and squash. Learning as I go, first thing is to drop my lights a little because they are a little "leggy". I picked the right year to pickup a detail oriented hobby. 

Screenshot_20200320-211827_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1