new member as of today

Big Indian

LMAO, here's a bit of history on the town.....

Big Indian is a hamlet within the Town of Shandaken in Ulster County, New York, United States, located along State Route 28, within the Catskill Park 17 miles west of Woodstock. The Esopus Creek runs through the area, as Birch Creek feeds in from the north. Big Indian Hollow is located slightly to the west, while Big Indian Mountain sits to the southwest.[1] The community is located at 17px-WMA_button2b.png42°10′25″N 74°44′37″W / 42.17361°N 74.74361°W / 42.17361; -74.74361.[2]

Contents

[edit] Origin of name

Once a Munsee named Winneesook (the name means "snowfall") lived near Marbletown, New York; because of his height of about seven feet, he was also called Big Indian. He was in love with a local woman, Gertrude Molyneux, who eventually loved him as well; because her parents opposed the match, they arranged a marriage with one Joseph Bundy. Disliking Bundy, Gertrude eloped with Winneesook into the wilderness. Some years later, a party of people searching for a missing cow was led by Bundy; still seeking revenge, he accused "that big Indian" of stealing the cow. When they finally found Winneesook, Bundy shot him with his rifle and injured him severely; after being left alone, Winneesook crawled to a pine tree where Gertrude found him later dying. After Winneesook's death and burial, Gertrude and her children moved to the site; the hamlet of Big Indian later developed at that location. Local lore holds that the pine tree stood until the railroad through Big Indian was built in the 1880s.[3]

• Like 1

Hi Big Indian,.

I small game hunted a number of times in Big Indian in the mid 60's, also Westkill on rt 42.

I have great memories of that area. We used to drive up from L.I. and hunt for the day and come home. I wish I had that much energy now !

Thanx for the history, and for bringing back pleasant memories.

Hi Big Indian,.

I small game hunted a number of times in Big Indian in the mid 60's, also Westkill on rt 42.

I have great memories of that area. We used to drive up from L.I. and hunt for the day and come home. I wish I had that much energy now !

Thanx for the history, and for bringing back pleasant memories.

I hunt in 4y and wish we had birds to hunt. I've been hunting there since 2003 and have seen one grouse and thats it

Hey Big indian, used to have property on oliverea road, 3 miles off rte 28, alot open woods there, and steep climbing.Not many deer but the ones that survived those winters, were nice bucks. Got my first deer there, a decent 8 pointer, but wieghed in at close to 260lbs.

Much easier on the island, lol.. have not hunted there in like 15 years, but heard still pretty much the same.

Welcome to the board, what part island you on?

www.bellmorekennels.com

Hey Big indian, used to have property on oliverea road, 3 miles off rte 28, alot open woods there, and steep climbing.Not many deer but the ones that survived those winters, were nice bucks. Got my first deer there, a decent 8 pointer, but wieghed in at close to 260lbs.

Much easier on the island, lol.. have not hunted there in like 15 years, but heard still pretty much the same.

Welcome to the board, what part island you on?

www.bellmorekennels.com

Hey Bellmorekennels,

I used to hunt in Oliveria also. A private estate called Hatchery Hollow, prob 10 yrs since the owner passed and haven't been since. Never shot a deer on that property, but a cyote and several nice turkeys.

My dad shot one of the biggest deer I have ever seen on that property in the early 90's he always had luck w/ deer there, I never did.

I am in Greenvale (Nassau)