Anyone shopping for an AR 223

moog5050

I’ve been thinking of buying one, or building one at some point. But I haven’t done much research yet. With so many variables from uppers, lowers, triggers, etc... For anyone that has one, is there anything that you would change on this gun? Or is it pretty set up with everything that you would want? 

1 minute ago, mlammerhirt said:

This has to be pinned because of the pistol grip? Very cool looking .223

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

yep or you could throw on a thordsen stock and not pin it.  I will say that I just read DPMS is closing its doors (not confirmed other than internet ramble) but that may be why its deeply discounted.  As a mil spec gun, it would not stop me from buying one if I was in the market. 

Nontypical - The only thing I suspect I would want to change is the trigger as I hear they aren't great but who knows, maybe a bit of polishing would make it OK.  I like light trigger pulls (3lbs or less).  I thinkt he stock is a 6lb pull and not adjustable.  I also like mlok handguards but that isn't a deal breaker - it could always be changed later if one really wanted a different handguard.

3 hours ago, NonTypical said:

I’ve been thinking of buying one, or building one at some point. But I haven’t done much research yet. With so many variables from uppers, lowers, triggers, etc... For anyone that has one, is there anything that you would change on this gun? Or is it pretty set up with everything that you would want? 

DPMS makes a really nice rifle. If I had more room in my safe, Id probably pick one of them up, its an awesome price for it. It has their 2 stage trigger, which is nice, a carbon fiber fore end, Magpul furniture and a teflon coated barrel.

I might buy one anyway lol

3 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

yep or you could throw on a thordsen stock and not pin it.  I will say that I just read DPMS is closing its doors (not confirmed other than internet ramble) but that may be why its deeply discounted.  As a mil spec gun, it would not stop me from buying one if I was in the market. 

Nontypical - The only thing I suspect I would want to change is the trigger as I hear they aren't great but who knows, maybe a bit of polishing would make it OK.  I like light trigger pulls (3lbs or less).  I thinkt he stock is a 6lb pull and not adjustable.  I also like mlok handguards but that isn't a deal breaker - it could always be changed later if one really wanted a different handguard.

Its a 1.5lb first stage with a 4.5lb second stage. Ive used them before, they are nice.

DPMS was bought up a few years ago by the Freedom Group, aka Remington. I have read that Remington is looking to focus on their Remington and Marlin brands and doing away with the rest. Its a shame really. Bushmaster will also get the axe.

3 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

I'm half assed looking for a complete featureless upper . The ones I've seen are almost the cost of the whole rifle you posted . Seems like a really good deal.

featureless upper?  meaning no flash hider?  You can always remove the hider from a threaded barrel and install a thread protector (pin that if you are really worried - you have the skills and very easy to do) and you have a featureless upper.  Delta tactical sells complete uppers for under $200 daily.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

featureless upper?  meaning no flash hider?  You can always remove the hider from a threaded barrel and install a thread protector (pin that if you are really worried - you have the skills and very easy to do) and you have a featureless upper.  Delta tactical sells complete uppers for under $200 daily.

Interesting ,i thought if it had threads it was no good . I just want a flat top i can swap out the A2 upper for . I'll have to look into that. 

11 hours ago, moog5050 said:

This is a really good deal:

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/859033415

close to 50% off.   Ship to your local FFL and have them pin is before transfer.  

Don’t need a 223 but thought someone here may benefit.  

Wish I'd seen this a few weeks ago! Though I am happy with the American Tactical I bought, this one has a few more features! Like the carbon fiber forestock, Magpul buttstock, and teflon coated 20 inch barrel, along with a two stage trigger. All for just about what my gun cost! This really is a smoking deal for someone looking to get that first AR. Or even adding another one to the safe!

I don't think the cost to have the mag pinned would be that much. I prefer to have all the AR features that require the fixed mag in NYS. I've found that the Bear Arms loaders that Nomad sent me work awesome!! And it is no big deal to me, to cycle the action to unload. Or to just un-pin the rear of the lower. To each their own on this.

33 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Interesting ,i thought if it had threads it was no good . I just want a flat top i can swap out the A2 upper for . I'll have to look into that. 

Honestly, many just Loctite the thread protector.  But if you are super concerned, you can have it silver soldered or pinned (drill hole through thread protector, install and then run drill just a touch further into threads, put pin in and a quick weld spot on top of pin - grind flat if you choose).  It meets federal ATF standards when people use a flash hider as included in barrel length.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

FFL would have to pin mag or change to thordsen stock

Do all FFL’s pin the mag the same way? And once they are pinned, could I theoretically unpin it if I chose to replace the stock down the road instead? Or would most people rather just replace the stock and leave it unpinned from the start?

Edited by NonTypical

1 hour ago, NonTypical said:

Do all FFL’s pin the mag the same way? And once they are pinned, could I theoretically unpin it if I chose to replace the stock down the road instead? Or would most people rather just replace the stock and leave it unpinned from the start?

It can be unpinned fairly easily but depending on what they use to pin it, you may need to drill out pin.  But all basically the same and a standard mag catch can be reinstalled. No tools required.   I have both pinned and unpinned with thordsen.  Depends on how often you need to load and unload as to which I prefer. I like the feel of the pistol grip but when yote hunting and constantly loading and unloading to move properties I like the unpinned with thordsen.  None of the modifications are irreversible.  

1 minute ago, moog5050 said:

It can be unpinned fairly easily but depending on what they use to pin it, you may need to drill out pin.  But all basically the same and a standard mag catch can be reinstalled. No tools required.   I have both pinned and unpinned with thordsen.  Depends on how often you need to load and unload as to which I prefer. I like the feel of the pistol grip but when yote hunting and constantly loading and unloading to move properties I like the unpinned with thordsen.  None of the modifications are irreversible.  

Thanks. I just contacted an FFL who is a gunsmith. He said about $90 to pin it. And I see a stock costs about $100, but I didn’t ask him how much to install it. I’ll probably just have it pinned for now. It’s pretty much going to be a target gun for me. 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, NonTypical said:

Thanks. I just contacted an FFL who is a gunsmith. He said about $90 to pin it. And I see a stock costs about $100, but I didn’t ask him how much to install it. I’ll probably just have it pinned for now. It’s pretty much going to be a target gun for me. 

Literally takes 5 min to install thordsen but you know how that goes   I am sure they charge something.  

28 minutes ago, NonTypical said:

$90!!!! To pin a mag!??? Holy cow, buy the kit for like $25 and do it yourself, takes 2 minutes. Heck if your near pembroke ny ill install it for free if you have the parts.

• Like 2

Just now, Gencountyzeek said:

$90!!!! To pin a mag!??? Holy cow, buy the kit for like $25 and do it yourself, takes 2 minutes. Heck if your near pembroke ny ill install it for free if you have the parts.

Problem is he needs the FFL to pin to do the transfer.  Yes that is crazy but buyers are kind of stuck. 

• Like 1