Kayaking/canoeing

3 minutes ago, NockednLoaded said:

I have a big two person kayak that is huge. It's more like a canoe and kinda hard to maneuver at times. no pics on my phone I could show you

That is exactly what we have.  I call it our cruise ship.  It is 13’ 6” slow as hell, but gets us out on the water.  Always fun.

Edited by Bionic
  • Like 1

Yup got an Old Town canoe which was actually the first purchase my wife and I made together....we took a 3 day 2 night float down the Taunton River in MA after we got married to escape our families for a few days after the wedding(proper honeymoon to Ireland later that summer).

We also have a kayak i cleaned up from when my neighbor was tossing it and an inflatable kayak that only my daughter can ride now(boys are too big). I usually register them at Fahnstock which gets me access to 5 lakes.

I always wanted to take a long float down the Hudson(Albany to the tappan zee).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Yup got an Old Town canoe which was actually the first purchase my wife and I made together....we took a 3 day 2 night float down the Taunton River in MA after we got married to escape our families for a few days after the wedding(proper honeymoon to Ireland later that summer).

We also have a kayak i cleaned up from when my neighbor was tossing it and an inflatable kayak that only my daughter can ride now(boys are too big). I usually register them at Fahnstock which gets me access to 5 lakes.

I always wanted to take a long float down the Hudson(Albany to the tappan zee).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for sharing.

i want to take Jenn up to Rollins Pond near Saranac Lake.  

Back in my younger days , The Yukon , BC, Quebec, Ontario and many others were where I canoed , Ill take some shots of my old pics and post tomorrow.

Ive toyed with the idea of going on a remote river again ,there’s one River in the far reaches of the Yukon , The Blow river that they suspect has been canoed but ,not documented, that appeals to me ,the hardest part is the logistics.

The Missinaibi River was my first river  trip , one that claims a fair number of life’s it seems .

https://paddling.com/paddle/trips/missinaibi-river-ontario-1/

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 3

We have two kayaks and a plastic canoe. Usually hit the Cohocton River with the yaks, and Canadice or Hemlock Lake once or twice a year with the canoe. We like to paddle around in the canoe on cooler days, but also have a little Yamaha OB for the back of the canoe which beats paddling on those hot and lazy summer days. 

0A754F22-B584-4B9E-8F1A-B0E1433BF763.jpeg

AB48D0E0-7FBD-4E55-9D1C-82531DDF1571.jpeg

Edited by Steuben Jerry
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Back in my younger days , The Yukon , BC, Quebec, Ontario and many others were where I canoed , Ill take some shots of my old pics and post tomorrow.

Ive toyed with the idea of going on a remote river again ,there’s one River in the far reaches of the Yukon , The Blow river that they suspect has been canoed but ,not documented, that appeals to me ,the hardest part is the logistics.

The Missinaibi River was my first river  trip , one that claims a fair number of life’s it seems .

https://paddling.com/paddle/trips/missinaibi-river-ontario-1/

The Yukon is my dream location to visit.  We might go on our honeymoon actually.  It simply fascinates me

• Like 1

I have been canoeing and kayaking since I was young. I did some white water kayaking but my shoulders didnt like the roll.  My father and i have been white water canoeing since i was in high school. That stuff is fun but nothing better than taking a morning or evening cruise on a calm day.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Bionic said:

The Yukon is my dream location to visit.  We might go on our honeymoon actually.  It simply fascinates me

We did the North branch of Big Salmon to the Yukon  River to Carmacks .

https://upnorthadventures.com/yukon-summer-adventures/self-guided-river-trips/yukon-river-options/

A rich historic river , but a boring paddle , flat slow wide river . Hard to find camp areas , either high grass or steep banks , some days we canoed till 11 at night ,then had to climb steep banks to set up camp .

Whitehorse is the capital and most populated town , with at the time a population of 17k !

If you can find a guided trip of the territory,I’d say go !

one of the more memorable times was riding with Tony in his pick up to our starting point . He was a WW II vet, and retired truck driver for a gas company up there , a true gold mine of information and stories . He said the houses are built much better today ( late 80’s ) you hardly get ice on the inside walls anymore .....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I traded my old Starcraft 14 ft rowboat for a 17 ft Wenonah Spirit canoe about 20 year ago.  When our girls were younger, I often took them out on the Erie canal and Tonawanda creek.    It was always fun.  On the canal, when power boats passed by, we would sometimes give that universal "slowdown-wave" as they passed us, making a wake.  I always got a kick out of it when folks on shore give me that wave when I am cruising along in the canal or lakeshores in my own powerboat.  I usually give them a standard wave in return.   The look on their face is always priceless, when they think that I think they are waving at me and not telling me to "slow down".  Sometimes that is followed by high-pitched yells, threats to call the police and turn me in for violating "no wake" laws, etc..

Patience is a virtue, which I often find myself lacking, so the canoe don't suit me so well for fishing.  I have only fished out of it three times, and they were all memorable.   The first time was on Goose bay, for largemouth bass, up on the ST Lawrence river.   That was the first time I used it and I ended up capsizing and loosing my tackle box.   I did not realize how tippy those things were, and the importance of keeping a low center of gravity.  I was sitting in the center of the canoe, on a swivel chair that was mounted on top of a cooler that I planned to use as a "live-well" (I am not a catch-and release guy).   Fortunately the water was warm and I was close to shore when the accident occurred.

It took me a few years to work up the courage to fish out of it again, but one year we took a week vacation to Long lake.  We drove up to a rented cabin, with the canoe strapped to the top of our mini-van.   Every morning, sleek bass-boats with big motors on back, would work the shorelines for bass.  I tried that a little from the canoe, with limited success.   If there was anything above a slight breeze, it was very difficult to manuver, especially against the wind.  

On the second morning, I decided to paddle out to the middle of the lake (actually not really a lake, but a "wide" area on the Raquete river).   The fishing was a lot better out there.  Those "unmolested" smallmouths went for my bucktail jigs, and I ended up catching plenty for a few meals.   I gave some of those jigs to a kayaker in the next cabin (who hadn't been having much luck himself) and he ended up catching a few nice smallies.  

Later in the week, I was floating broadside out in the middle (using a 5-gallon bucket as a drift sock), with 3 or 4 bass on a stringer.  I noted a powerboat coming at me with what looked like a sail up front.  It was an elderly couple, and the "sail" was actually a towel or shirt the woman in front was holding up for shade or something, between a couple of oars.  The old fella in back had the outboard at wide open throttle and the sail was completely blocking his view of me.   With the fish and bucket in the water and attached to the canoe, there was no way I could move out of the way.  I took a deep breath and yelled at the top of my lungs, just in time to avoid being cut in half like JFK on PT 109.   

The last time I fished out of it was about 10 years ago, on Cuba lake.   That is a small lake, ringed with cottages, and usually crowded with powerboats.   We were visiting friends, who had a cabin on the lake.  I brought along the canoe, once again strapped to the top of our mini-van.   I tried a bit of fishing at mid-day, but it was a no-go because all the wakes from power boats made it terribly uncomfortable.  

Towards evening, when the traffic died down, it was ok.   I ended up catching a very large smallmouth on a jig, across the lake from the cabin.  It was cool how that bass was able to spin the canoe around.  It was way to big to eat and I did not have a camera to take a picture.  I tied a string thru its lower jaw and towed it back the the cabin for a photo.   That bass kept pulling the canoe, almost like an electric motor, all the way across the lake (never in the direction that I wanted to go however).  After the picture was taken, I was able to release it relatively unharmed, and it swam away looking perfectly healthy.                       

My most frequent use of the canoe these days, is on those occasions (every other year or so), when mother nature blesses us with "lake-front" property.   When the floods come, The girls and I can paddle from our own deck, to my uncle's "lagoon" next door.   

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1