New 35 Whelen Carbine

mike103

So this past season I took my 7600 rifle in 35 Whelen out in the rain. After I hunted I wiped it down and put in in a soft case but before I could drive back to the house, less than one hour it rusted. It’s since been reblued, can’t have my baby rusted, and I went on the hunt for all weather 35. 

Found Grices in PA offering 7600 carbines in 35 Whelen in burnt bronze cerakote receiver and synthetic stocks. They also had titanium colored receivers but it looked too bright. I bought it for myself for Christmas. I have since picked up a leupold 3x9 with a lighted reticle on sale at Bass Pro while down in Florida. Can’t wait to get home in the spring and get it set up for next year.

Should be a great woods gun like all 7600’s and a rain gun also.

I love the 35’s big time but my last two bucks were with the Xbow LOL!!

20A5B0A4-6255-4F71-AD55-41E94584B87E.png

• Like 5

Congratulations obtaining your new 7600 Remington, I have become a admirer of the cerakote epoxy type gun finishes, can go with most any color, they seem to be more durable than a blued finish and they will also basically rust proof your gun.

For rust prevention on a regular blued finish I have found "Frog Lube" has been proven to be very reliable.

Al

Edited by airedale

8 minutes ago, steve863 said:

How can a gun rust badly enough in an hours time to need rebluing??  Rust can start forming quickly but I can't see it doing any significant damage in an hour.  

I usually transport my guns while hunting in inexpensive plastic cases. This time I was using a leather case that had a odd synthetic/ cloth liner. When brought the rifle to be reblued I showed the case to the gunsmith. He said his guess would be the lining of the case. He didn’t understand it either.

My gramps always left the gun in front seat  heater on high until gun was warm and dry . Then it was wiped down with a cloth soaked in oil or Ray Hotchkiss  gun wax . Then in the case for travel or cabinet  at home . I had an old Steven's pump I cased wet and in about 45 minutes ... the drive home  it had a film of rust .

So this past season I took my 7600 rifle in 35 Whelen out in the rain. After I hunted I wiped it down and put in in a soft case but before I could drive back to the house, less than one hour it rusted. It’s since been reblued, can’t have my baby rusted, and I went on the hunt for all weather 35. 

Found Grices in PA offering 7600 carbines in 35 Whelen in burnt bronze cerakote receiver and synthetic stocks. They also had titanium colored receivers but it looked too bright. I bought it for myself for Christmas. I have since picked up a leupold 3x9 with a lighted reticle on sale at Bass Pro while down in Florida. Can’t wait to get home in the spring and get it set up for next year.
Should be a great woods gun like all 7600’s and a rain gun also.

I love the 35’s big time but my last two bucks were with the Xbow LOL!!
20A5B0A4-6255-4F71-AD55-41E94584B87E.thumb.png.a289cc5fec5339ecbe085d3e8b04fa81.png

This is the exact reason why I won’t buy a new Remington. They’re a far cry from the products they put out years ago. The last new Remington I bought pitted beyond repair while oiled in a safe with a dehumidifier.

35wheen is an excellent cartridge. Older 7600’s and 760’s are my favorite gun ever made.

If you want a 35whelen that won’t rust find a 760 or 7600 made pre 2004 in 270 or 30-06 send it out to he’s at 35cal.com and have it rebooted to 35whelen. As much as it pains me to say it everything I’ve seen coming out of Remington in the last 10-15 years has been junk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

10 days is my typical max in the ADK camp.  One day of rain does havoc to them that's for sure!  I try to dry and oil but they get hit pretty hard.  Always loved the stainless A-bold my friends had because they stayed in great condition despite horrible weather.  Mine did not make it out as well that's for sure!  If I ever buy another gun it will have to be set up for rain as I love hunting bad weather buy my guns do not!  Full synthetic and stainless all the way!  I will have to keep an eye out for Benoits pump action!  

Good luck with the new gun, should last you a long time! 

Edited by NFA-ADK

17 hours ago, Nytracker said:

My gramps always left the gun in front seat  heater on high until gun was warm and dry . Then it was wiped down with a cloth soaked in oil or Ray Hotchkiss  gun wax . Then in the case for travel or cabinet  at home . I had an old Steven's pump I cased wet and in about 45 minutes ... the drive home  it had a film of rust .

" Ray Hotchkiss gun wax"...That's a blast from the past....

What a great gun shop Ray had...!!...Lots of  quality used guns at reasonable prices..

I bought my first handgun there in 1974 ( New)...

It's a S&W  M 17 K-22 Masterpiece, and it is the last handgun I would ever part with...

7 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

This is the exact reason why I won’t buy a new Remington. They’re a far cry from the products they put out years ago. The last new Remington I bought pitted beyond repair while oiled in a safe with a dehumidifier.

35wheen is an excellent cartridge. Older 7600’s and 760’s are my favorite gun ever made.

If you want a 35whelen that won’t rust find a 760 or 7600 made pre 2004 in 270 or 30-06 send it out to he’s at 35cal.com and have it rebooted to 35whelen. As much as it pains me to say it everything I’ve seen coming out of Remington in the last 10-15 years has been junk.

If I had to guess I bought the 35 Rem carbine and 35 Whelen rifle from Grices in PA in either 2002 or 2003. I think ‘02 but I can’t remember anymore. But I do know this I shot my best bucks ever with those guns.

The gunsmith was very suspicious of the lining of the case. I have a friend that had something similar happen.

Looking forward to not having to worry about that anymore.

Love the 35’s and love my pumps. Also have 350 Rem mag and 356 Winchester.

Edited by mike103

my stand by deer rifle is a 1933 vintage Oberndorf 98 Mauser. Although I have done a lot of upgrading on it, the bbl and action still has the original bluing . I love hunting the slop....the wetter / rainier/ snowier the better. That gun has never had a tinge of rust to it, and I have taken it for granted...at the end of a day a quick dry down with paper towels on the enclosed porch, where it will hang until I go out that evening or the next morning. 

She really needs a new finish to complete her, and after almost 90 years she really deserves it but I am reluctant to change what obviously still protects her just fine. I keep thinking a phosphate finish (dark gray parkerized type) but , well, I dunno. 

• Like 1

If I had to guess I bought the 35 Rem carbine and 35 Whelen rifle from Grices in PA in either 2002 or 2003. I think ‘02 but I can’t remember anymore. But I do know this I shot my best bucks ever with those guns.
The gunsmith was very suspicious of the lining of the case. I have a friend that had something similar happen.
Looking forward to not having to worry about that anymore.
Love the 35’s and love my pumps. Also have 350 Rem mag and 356 Winchester.

You’re right with your years, I have a 35rem from the limited run grices did and it’s was made in 03.

I’m surprised you had the issues you had with it. In those years Remington was well known for their deep bluing. The new ones are the opposite!

I also love anything 35cal. A couple years ago I built a 350-300wsm in a boot action and it’s an amazing chambering! Blows my old 350 rem mag away numbers wise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

You’re right with your years, I have a 35rem from the limited run grices did and it’s was made in 03.

I’m surprised you had the issues you had with it. In those years Remington was well known for their deep bluing. The new ones are the opposite!

I also love anything 35cal. A couple years ago I built a 350-300wsm in a boot action and it’s an amazing chambering! Blows my old 350 rem mag away numbers wise.

I couldn't believe it took you so long to chime in on a . 35 cal. thread, My Friend  !!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pygmy said:

" Ray Hotchkiss gun wax"...That's a blast from the past....

What a great gun shop Ray had...!!...Lots of  quality used guns at reasonable prices..

I bought my first handgun there in 1974 ( New)...

It's a S&W  M 17 K-22 Masterpiece, and it is the last handgun I would ever part with...

Great shop . Miserable old fart  he was . Dont touch the guns ... wipe down the one you touched...and the ones next to it .  He always gave a box of shells with every gun sold . Got a better deal if I took my girl with me ... he had an eye for the ladies. Miss that shop. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Nytracker said:

Great shop . Miserable old fart  he was . Dont touch the guns ... wipe down the one you touched...and the ones next to it .  He always gave a box of shells with every gun sold . Got a better deal if I took my girl with me ... he had an eye for the ladies. Miss that shop. 

Geeze...I wish I had known that...I'd have taken your girl with me...How old was she in 1974  ??

Actually, there as a girl that lived on the south side who might have gone with me, but my wife got pissed off whenever I hung out with her..

She had the greatest body of any girl I ever went into gun shops with...Probably weighs 300 pounds now, if she's still alive..

2 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I really believe that it was the case not the rifle. A friend of mine told me the same thing happened to him with a valuable Winchester years ago.

I have hunted the rain many times and this never happened. I usually use a cheap plastic case with the egg crate interior and don’t have any problems. So who knows!

I love my Whelen’s and my 35’s. I had it reblued by Mitch Schultz in Connecticut. He is an amazing gunsmith. The blueing is so deep you could become mesmerized by it.

I also have the 750 carbine in 35 Whelen. Shot a good 8 I tracked in the snow with it.

Had many 7600’s but started selling the ones I would never hunt with. 25-06 and 7mm-08.

I still have 6mm Rem, 257 Roberts, 30-06,  and the 35’s. I have two 35 REM’s. One wood and one synthetic that I never shot and was thinking of reboring to 358 Winchester.

• Like 1