Gun shots at first light opening day of bow season sz

Dutchess hunter

and naturally, I can be wabbit hunting with my .30-06, and this buck came charging at me, and I had to protect myself, but he turned sideways at the last second, and thats why the bullet gone through both his lungs.... as your being carted away in handcuffs......

:wacko:

I would agree that gunshots often heard around sunrise and sunset are suspicious and unfortunately we all know what some of them are.

Edited by skyhunter

well i know sat morning i took my first 2 shots at 730 five min after sunrise at a rooster my cocker flushed. continued hunting till 930 taking one more shot. there were also about 40 other men hunting pheasants and many shots were taken. just like any other hunting many shots are taken at birds just after sunrise. this very topic is one reason i am reluctant to start bow hunting hunters must realize that deer bow season is also taking place with various small game seasons. i get really agrivated when hunting state land for grouse and come across an idiot who decides its a good idea to draw down on my dog because we are out in " his woods" or "you can't have a dog out during deer season". i do my best to avoid bow hunters while persuing my game of choice but sometimes you do run across them.

My best small game hunting happens right at daybreak too. No offense to bow hunters, but I really enjoy small game and believe it or not I get up just as early for it, because daybreak and sunset are also usually very good times for all animal activity, not just deer.

I hunt furbearers during bow season. Especially after 10/25 when fox/bobcat opens. I have seen guys in treestands bow hunting for deer on state land not far from where I am sitting with an electronic caller blasting coyote howls lol. Luckily when gun season comes for deer, I go to a private piece of property in putnam county of about 8 acres where nobody has been since me last deer season.

Need to start arressting those who poach deer with there cars and leave them laying on the road. They are decimating my deer herd around my house. Three dead doe in the last month all within i/2 mile to 100 ft from my house. It's getting out of control, think I'll call the DEC tommarrow and complain. :rolleyes:

Sunday morning I setup in an old apple grove quite a long ways back in the woods. I heard the unmistakable sound of a beeper on a dog. Sure enough it kept getting louder and louder untill I saw the dog and 2 hunters. I thought great here I am in full cammo and they dont know Im here. I let out a whistle and the guy yells Im over here. I had to chuckle a bit as he thought his buddy was whistling to see where he was. After one of them finally spotted me they felt pretty bad. I assured them to keep on hunting its there woods too. They were a couple of good sportmen and think they felt worse about the deal then I did. Hell I had more fun watching there dog work from 25 feet up than they did I bet lol. They were grouse and woodcock hunting. Its all good in my book we share the deer season with small game hunters or do they share the small game season with deer hunters LOL.

If poaching was really that rampant..someone would be getting caught. especially if shooting 5x or more.. phesant hunters..more than likely. poachers want 1 clean quick shot ..multiple shot is ususally someone else hunting another species that it open.

If poaching was really that rampant..someone would be getting caught. especially if shooting 5x or more.. phesant hunters..more than likely. poachers want 1 clean quick shot ..multiple shot is ususally someone else hunting another species that it open.

You shouldnt hear anything, everyone knows poachers use crossbows now!!! Sorry I just had to go there. :P

Ya.just don't wabbit hunt with 5 slugs in the chamber.LOL.

Damn goose hunters by my hunting area suck.They must spend like 100 dollars on shells.My god.It is a war zone back there.Like a line of m16's and a couple cannons.Thats got to be some expensive hunting!!!Cause i know steel shot isn't cheap!

You should be in my area. I hunt behind my house on a little 42 acre plot. About 1500 yards from my stand is the county law enforcement gun range. This weekend (first weekend of bow) it sounded like a combat zone. Lots of automatic rifle fire. Didn't matter, I saw a lot of deer over the weekend. They are used to it.

well im glad to hear that some others have the same thooughts on sharing the woods as i do. its too bad the ones i seem to find don't share our views.i think i may take up bow hunting too seeing i was given an older bow. figured at first that i could atleast use it to target shoot with my dad but now that hey are going to open it oct 1 i could use the beging of the month to deer hunt while i wait for the leaves to drop for good grouse hunting.