Dicks closing hunting departments And pun intended

turkeyfeathers

41 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

I haven't spent a dime at Dickheads or Field and Ream in 2 years. Good for them that sales have increased, I've been doing my part in increasing sales to their competitors.

same. not even in their other depts. All my kids sporting goods and sneakers are now coming from other retailers. Hope they're still happy with their move. 

• Like 2

I have a Dicks store about a mile from my house. I always like it because it was convenient when I needed something. I guess it will turn into another Modell's Sporting Goods store. Looks like it'll have to be online purchases from now on. 

So strange for us of a certain age. Dicks was the place to go for guns and equipment in the Southern Tier during the 1960's, 70's and 80's. Great selection, good prices, a regular hunting and fishing store with some clothing and a few pairs of athletic shoes, but more than half of the floor space in the Vestal and Binghamton stores were outdoor merchandise. Just ridiculous.

11 hours ago, Water Rat said:

I have a Dicks store about a mile from my house. I always like it because it was convenient when I needed something. I guess it will turn into another Modell's Sporting Goods store. Looks like it'll have to be online purchases from now on. 

Modell's is in bankruptcy & closing store. Can only wish Dick's follows the same route...

• Like 1

Not too many options where I live other than dicks/field and stream. I buy from cabelas and amazon as much as possible, but its hard for me to get away from field and stream sometimes. Even ammunition I try to buy at a local gun shop, but some things they just cant match in price 

27 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Not too many options where I live other than dicks/field and stream. I buy from cabelas and amazon as much as possible, but its hard for me to get away from field and stream sometimes. Even ammunition I try to buy at a local gun shop, but some things they just cant match in price 

Thing is, Pricks and Wally world stopped selling 223 ammo, along with most handgun ammo a couple years ago. After assuming law abiding gun owners could not control themselves, and would become mass murderers.

I have actually enjoyed going to various small gun shops and supporting them. Yes, I'll pay a bit more than I would have at Pricks. But I get folks to talk to, that actually know what they are talking about. And paying a bit more to support small gun shops is a small price to pay in my opinion.

• Like 3

I live in Saratoga so Dicks in Wilton is a very short drive. It really sucks that I don't feel I can shop there. I have been getting my ammo at Zacks in Round Lake, I have picked up a few hunting items at Tractor Supply  but I have been to Runnings several times now. It is probably a good thing Runnings is a 35-40 minute drive because I could go broke in that store.....

I am not a CEO but I would think Dicks best option would be to expand their hunting and fishing section. All of their clothes, sneakers etc can be purchased online.  You can purchase hunting supplies and even guns online if you have shipped to an FFL. I don't know about everyone else but I like to browse the hunting stuff. Feel the different things, Look through scopes, shoulder the firearms or handle the pistol. Half the hunting crap I own I wouldn't have if I wasn't browsing and just thought I needed that particular item on that particular day.  Even fishing lurers. How many have grabbed a fishing lure they don't need because they were browsing and thought this one or that one looked good.  I never go browse for a sweatshirt. If I am shopping for clothes I am already annoyed about it and I just get what I need and get the heck out....Now hunting clothes....that's different....

• Like 1

When Dicks first opened in Cicero, it was a great store, with good deals on fishing and hunting stuff, and the staff actually was pretty knowledgeable, I bought a number of firearms from them. My wife and I walked through the Syracuse store a couple weeks ago, and they had very little. A lot of hunting clothing was at great sale prices...we bought some stuff for her and  for myself at about 20% of original price. We were real happy with them, but otherwise the chains are dead for sporting goods. Gander  Outdoors has no clue what they are doing with a constantly shrinking sporting department and staff that are all airheads. They may be able to answer a question about the gun flavor of the month, but otherwise are just counter clerks. I have sixty buck gift certificate for there and cant find anything I want...the ammo I want is constantly out of stock, no reloading, clothes are overpriced......