Your Biggest Buck

Deleted Account

Sorry if this has shown up before, but I'd really like to see your best buck, and even read the story of him. I know that a trophy is in the eye of the beholder, but I'm always interested in hearing a good hunting story. So, post up your biggest and share the story.

I got this guy on my wife's grandparents property in November, 2008 in Richland County, Illinois. I had not hunted that woods before, but I knew they had good deer in there. I got in before daylight, found straight tree next to an old fence row about 30 yards into the woods. This guy came in on a string about 8:00am, and I actually let him walk. He went right under my tree, and when he got behind me I saw how tall he was, and pulled the trigger. He went about 50 yards, but I didn't see him fall, so a quick blood trail and I had him. I got my 4-wheeler out of the truck, and when I got him back to the truck, my grandparents-in-law (though we were only dating at the time) met me to see what I got. As I went to load my 4-wheeler back in the truck, the ramp broke, and I flipped the whole kit-n-caboodle, buck and all, right on top of me. Fortunately nothing was hurt but my pride a little bit. Got everything right side up, loaded the wheeler by hand and made the rounds to show off my buck. I had him mounted by a small shop down in western Kentucky that a buddy recommended, and the guy did a fantastic job. 

MVIMG_20200311_105127.jpg

MVIMG_20200311_105132.jpg

• Like 10

First time ever hunting my brothers property. Trudged thru 2 feet of snow in general direction he told me to go to. First time taking ML out to hunt with. I crossed a small trout stream and then got to the Apple trees at the bottom of a big hill. Runs beaten down to the ground. I have no idea of the land so I ascend part way up the big hill covering the bottom and apples. Within minutes of sitting with my back to a big log wearing full snow camo I see a few doe. Then a spike. Now it’s getting towards magic hour as I arrived at maybe 3 o’clock. I’m blowing towards the top of the hill. I look over my right shoulder and see a nice buck. My position I couldn’t swing without getting busted I get the ml up but it’s like shooting a pistol. That won’t work I think. So I slowly move around and realize behind the big tree he can’t see much of me sit n spinning into position. I settle the crosshairs on his front shoulder and see another buck almost identical to him standing mere yards to his right. I squeezed off the ml , smoke everywhere. Did I hit him ? I wait awhile and walk to where I think he was. Blood is good I think. And holy crap there he is. I quick called my brother to tell him I shot one. He puts on his snowshoes and heads to my description of where I am. We dragged him out . Not an easy job even with both of us. I called the wife to say I’m going to be later than expected. Yup I was couple hours late to her work Christmas party. What a great day and memories shared with my brother Lee who just passed this October. That was many years ago but I could walk you to the exact spot of where I sat the first time ever being in those woods and where that buck fell. Dinorocks did a great euro mount for me. Bottom jaw and teeth included. 2003994475608e8c336ba0639d52c6d3.jpg
36fbb9bc2bc3016250442c0e2e8e16ba.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 23

2 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

First time ever hunting my brothers property. Trudged thru 2 feet of snow in general direction he told me to go to. First time taking ML out to hunt with. I crossed a small trout stream and then got to the Apple trees at the bottom of a big hill. Runs beaten down to the ground. I have no idea of the land so I ascend part way up the big hill covering the bottom and apples. Within minutes of sitting with my back to a big log wearing full snow camo I see a few doe. Then a spike. Now it’s getting towards magic hour as I arrived at maybe 3 o’clock. I’m blowing towards the top of the hill. I look over my right shoulder and see a nice buck. My position I couldn’t swing without getting busted I get the ml up but it’s like shooting a pistol. That won’t work I think. So I slowly move around and realize behind the big tree he can’t see much of me sit n spinning into position. I settle the crosshairs on his front shoulder and see another buck almost identical to him standing mere yards to his right. I squeezed off the ml , smoke everywhere. Did I hit him ? I wait awhile and walk to where I think he was. Blood is good I think. And holy crap there he is. I quick called my brother to tell him I shot one. He puts on his snowshoes and heads to my description of where I am. We dragged him out . Not an easy job even with both of us. I called the wife to say I’m going to be later than expected. Yup I was couple hours late to her work Christmas party. What a great day and memories shared with my brother Lee who just passed this October. That was many years ago but I could walk you to the exact spot of where I sat the first time ever being in those woods and where that buck fell. Dinorocks did a great euro mount for me. Bottom jaw and teeth included. 2003994475608e8c336ba0639d52c6d3.jpg
36fbb9bc2bc3016250442c0e2e8e16ba.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What a great story, and good memories with your brother.

• Like 3

I shot my best NY whitetail this past season on 11/2 at 7:50am. I texted several forum members going wild since I was so pumped. @sodfather was kind enough to let me be a superstar for 40-50 minutes before he shot a bigger buck a mere 390 miles away. Then to top it off, @Lawdwaz and @turkeyfeathers shot bucks later that same day too.

Therefore, I will be forever forgotten!

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld
  • Like 5

CrossbowBBchestgirth.jpg.8ae2810b002b113311da0b7f1eee6825.jpg

Not sure about antlered ones, but this was my biggest button since joining forum anyhow.  PA chart says field dressed nearly 100 pounds and about 50 pounds edible meat.  That was in 2018, and we just finished the last vacuum-sealed roast.   That sure was some fine quality eating, which I always try and save for special occasions.     

• Like 5

1 minute ago, wolc123 said:

CrossbowBBchestgirth.jpg.8ae2810b002b113311da0b7f1eee6825.jpg

Not sure about antlered ones, but this was my biggest button since joining forum anyhow.  PA chart says field dressed nearly 100 pounds and about 50 pounds edible meat.  That was in 2018, and we just finished the last vacuum-sealed roast.   That sure was some fine quality eating, which I always try and save for special occasions.     

Ya That's what he meant!

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, catskillkid said:

Enjoyed 20 below temps for 4 days in a lock on stand to finally take this 300 lb Saskatchewan buck

IMAG0145.jpg

4 hrs in a loc on stand is commendable 4 days in 60* weather is heroic. In 20 below is stupid.....just kidding .lol..(I obviously have spent too much time in one of those stands also)...... beautiful  deer!

• Like 2

This is my muzzle loader buck from 2006, down Cazenovia way. He was as swollen up from the rut as you can imagine. 12 very irregular points, five years old. I have a number of probably bigger, certainly prettier, but for me he is "The One".1054931623_Davesbuck2007.thumb.jpg.0c13344d87c2cf36013d73d0e557a983.jpg

• Like 15