FastEddie's Fables

fasteddie

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got up at 4 am so I could go hunting with 2 of my sons in Mendon where I shot the buck Wednesday . We must have kicked out a couple deer on the way in to our stands . Heard a lot of blowing ! It was a short walk for me and I was in my stand by 6:15 . Someone else had been hunting that area Saturday so I was told .

Anyway , it was ccccccccold ! Never saw one deer and we decided to leave at 10 am . My oldest son walked up the cut trail and he kicked out a small coyote . He had only gotten a glimpse of it and said it looked like a furry armidillo !

When I got home the wife was leaving for a friend's house to pick some apples so I jumped in her car and went over to pick them . I would have been just as well off going to Mass this am . It would have been warmer .

My sister in law called a while ago . She said she was out by her barn , saw a flash of brown by the gulley . She checked it out and said there were 7 deer (no horns) in her lower pasture lot . I will have to give her property in Geneseo a try real soon .

I shot the buck Wednesday (26th) and was sitting in my stand yesterday thinking I have to put the tag in the freezer with the deer . Then it dawned on me that with everything that was going on in my life I hadn't reported the kill yet . I called the 1-866-426-3778# yesterday afternoon and took care of business .

I have been critical of folks not reporting and then I almost screw up !!!

I was heading for a stand at my SILs in Geneseo at 6:30 this am . I had just enough light so I could walk without using a light . When i got about 60 yards from the stand a deer jumped the fence from the pasture lot and hauled butt . I set my bow down by the stand and walked a ways down the lane to lay a scent trail with the drag . When I got 40' from the stand another doe ran by . I saw a couple more doe at 8:30 , then a fox and then nothing .

At 11 , I got down and walked to the overgrown grassy field to check my ladder stand that I had the theft deterrant lock on . The top was detached so I fixed it . Luckily I had my keys this time . Eased my way through the brush and walked to the woods . I t wasn't swampy like it had been the past 3 years and the water level in the ditch was fairly low . Checked out my old pressure treated stand . It needs a minor repair .

Had a sandwich and headed for Groveland . sat in a stand there from 3 - 6:15 pm and didn't see a thing . Removed my Stealth Cam Trail Cam . The light was blinking for battery change . It uses 6 "c" cells and they didn't last a month . Had 69 pics taken of nothing .

Are you sure the wind wasn't blowing your own scent back in your face? You're supossed to take a Scent free shower at least once during the season Eddie!!!

I would have taken a Scent Free bath but the creek level was too low and the water was real cold !

Going to try a spot in Mendon with my oldest son this afternoon .

Met my oldest son at the property he got access to at 2:45 this afternoon . He put on out hunting gear and headed for the stands . He pointed out the stand that I would be using about 150 yards across the field . As we approached the spot where we would separate , a spike stepped from the high grass field into the access road and hauled butt when he saw us .

Sat in the stand from 3 - 6:30 pm . Didn't see another deer . 4 different guys went to different stands around 4:30 . and they left before we got down . Changed out of the hunting clothes and left . When I pulled out of the drive , I saw a doe across the road in a cut corn field eating . Up the road 1/2 mile a doe was standing right next to the road . A couple more miles I turned onto Thornell Road ( Pittsford ) and there was a very large doe standing next to the road . Apparently we shouldn't have been hunting the fields , we should have been hunting the roads ! J/K

I was facing North and the cold wind was blowing in my face . Wearing the camo face net mask helped some but every time the wind picked up , I got the chills !

I have a dental appointment at 11:15 and nothing scheduled after that so ....... I am going to head for either Groveland or Geneseo for an afternoon hunt . I can't shoot anything from sitting at the computer except for BS . The clock is winding down so I gotta get out there .

I wasted a Sunday afternoon hunt by watching the Bills get their butts handed to them by the Jersey Jets ! Ughhhhhhhhhh ! I should have been in a treestand !

Went to Geneseo this afternoon . Fastened a yellow rope between two trees where a farmer had knocked down one of the gates and Ty-wrapped Posted signs on them . I was in the stand by 2 pm . Around 3 pm I heard voices , looked and saw two horse riders approaching . I grabbed my camera and took a pic of each rider . The 1st one had started to come into the laneway and hadn't realized the rope was there and the horse balked . She spotted me and went oops sorry and headed down the field . The other rider followed her . They don't have permission to be on my SILs property but would have been if I hadn't blocked the opening . They rode back by about 20 minutes later .

I wasn't seeing anything else . It was cloudy but comfortable . Around 5:10 pm it was getting a bit dark and I saw a doe in the lower pasture lot about 80 yards away . I watched her browse for a few minutes and she wandered off . I figured it was safe to get down . I grabbed my gear , got down and removed my scent wick and saw 3 doe jump the pasture lot fence and haul butt down the field . So much for hunting !

The Good , The Bad & The Ugly

The Good ---- My youngest son got a doe this am

The Bad ------ I didn't see a thing

The Ugly ----- I missed a doe tonight

My oldest and my youngest sons and I hunted a property on Bloomfield road in Mendon . My back was to a corn field with overgrown grass field in front . Never saw a thing . Boring !!! Saw youngest walking toward the truck . Called him . He had shot a doe and saw a 5 point when he was walking out to get the sled . We got together at 10:30 and loaded the deer in the truck . The boys took the doe home , packed some ice in the cavity so they could hunt in the afternoon .

We got together again at another property in Mendon at 2 pm . I went to a stand I had used before and wasn't seeing anything . The corn had been gut so visibility was very good . Around 4:30 , there were 2 doe out in the field rummaging some corn . One of them came within about 30 yards and they weren't about to enter the little corner of the woods I was in because they had food . I took the bow off of the bow holder , stood up and started to draw back . When I practice , I always have my finger "behind" the trigger . Well , I didn't and I hit the trigger accidentally . I always laugh when someone says they hit a branch that they didn't see and figure , yeah sure . Well the arrow hit a branch and the deer took off . They started back and were looking around to see what made the noise and then left . It was starting to get dark so I climbed down , grabbed my scent wicks and walked over to the area where I assumed the arrow would be found . No luck . The 3 of us were looking in the dark and not finding it . We started walking back toward my son's truck and he said , Here is you arrow . It was about 10 yards from the flight path . Wow ! I guess a limb does a good job deflecting an arrow . At least I saw a couple deer .

post-132-0-77912100-1320889465_thumb.jpg

post-132-0-10220500-1320889484_thumb.jpg

Loaded my ATV ( 420 Honda rancher ) onto the trailer along with the sled and a 15' ladder stand . Going to give Geneseo a try tomorrow . I'll hunt the early am from a stand that is already up . Then I plan to put the new ladder stand up in my SILs lower pasture lot . I want to get that done before she changes her mind .

I also have to do a minor repair on a permanent stand down in the woods . Just some minor bracing . I also want to make a few passes in the high grass field so we can walk back into the woods without getting loaded up with burdocks , stick tights , etc and have a more direct route . I figure if I do that the deer will follow it as they are lazy like we are and take the path of least resistance .

My sons and I may hunt there opening day and if the weather is fair , my sister in law will hunt also . There used to be a lot of hunters on adjacent properties but I havn't seen many in the past couple years .

I was at the hunting spot in Geneseo at 5:50 am . There was a car partially blocking the Lane but I was able to get around it with the trailer . I sat in my Gulley stand and never saw a thing . I called my sister in law at 7:30 to let her know that there were 3 cars parked in the lane and she said she found out late that they were having a College Horse Competition at the indoor riding range next door . When I went up to my car , there were cars up the Ying-Yang parked all over and I was blocked in but I was parked in the field .

I unloaded the ATV and took a trip down to the woods and made a repair on an old treestand . Then I made a few passes through the high grass into the woods .

I put a ladder stand up in the Lane-Way and had a heck of a time doing that . Cut some branches but need to take the Limb Pole saw down next time I go . Got something to eat and drink and went to the new stand for the afternoon hunt . At 2 pm I had just climbed up , took my backpack off and was hauling up my bow . I wasn't there 5 minutes and 2 doe ran out into the field 100 yards away . They had either crossed my trail or followed me . Got some hooks in the tree and settled down . The wind was blowing at my back and felt pretty cold for 55 degrees . At 4:30 , I saw a couple doe come into the field almost 200 yards away . Then another 2 and then 3 more . Seven does / fawns . They milled around and the wind had to be blowing my scent right at them . They never came closer than 120 yards but at least I saw some deer !!! I tried to take some pics but they came out fuzzy with the digital zoom .

Heading for Walworth in a few minutes . Had a pic of a doe and fawn on Trail Cam a few days ago near the blind . It was 8:13 am . My wife asked if I had changed the time on the camera to allow for the DS Time Change . I hadn't so it should have been 7:13 am . Glad I married someone smart !

Congratz to your sons! You have been putting in the time. Hope you get one this morning.

I can not imagine how much a pain in the azz it is to put up a ladder stand alone. It is a pain with two of us!! You must be a bad dude!!

Edited by Fletch