FastEddie's Fables

fasteddie

Congratz to your sons! You have been putting in the time. Hope you get one this morning.

I can not imagine how much a pain in the azz it is to put up a ladder stand alone. It is a pain with two of us!! You must be a bad dude!!

Fletch --- It was a struggle putting it up but I wasn't going to give in . That stand was going up one way or another !

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This morning sucked . I was in a blind in Walworth by 6 am . Sat back and relaxed . Had the window facing south open and the ones East & West just enough to peek out of . I had my face net on so there wouldn't be any glare . About 8:30 I heard some bird noises and didn't see anything . Then all of a sudden there is a Jake walking past the blind at no more than 6' . If it had still been Turkey Season I wouldn't have been able to shoot him as I he was so close I could only see his head and neck . And to top it off I didn't have a camera with me but thought I could have taken a pic with the phone . Oh well . Anyway , I left there around 10:30 .

I probably won't bow hunt again until Wednesday in Geneseo .

Arrived at my hunting spot in Geneseo at 5:30 today . Was at the stand by 5:45 . I had taken the pole saw and did some trimming as there was enough moonlight to see . Got up in the stand and sat back and rested . Ay 6:55 I saw a buck step into the field about 300 yards away . He wandered across and came into the lane-way . It was a small rack 6 point and he came within 40 yards of me down wind . He never looked at me but foot stomped and wandered off . About a half hour later I saw a doe in the neighbor's lower pasture lot .

My oldest son showed up at 10:30 . I met him at my vehicle and we loaded a ladderstand on my ATV and we headed for the woods . We put the stand in a tree that he hunted from a few years ago . His plan is to use hiw 44 mag pistol in the woods . We took care of a job for my SIL and he left .

My youngest son showed up around 1:00 . I had a couple sandwiches and we chatted . Put our hunting clothes on and I showed him the different stands and gave him his choice . He took the stand in the willow tree . I took the stand by the mowed horse trail . To my right was and overgrown field with thickets . Boring !!!!!!! At 4:09 I got busted by a couple does . I was looking down the trail through the brush and when I straightened up the does blew and took off . About 4:30 i saw 2 deer leaping through the high grass towards where my son was sitting . I waited a few minutes and texted him to see if he had seen then and he had . At 4:50 he called and said he had shot at one of them . Told him to check his arrow . Nothing on it but dirt . We checked the area where the buck had run through and there was no sign of blood . Walked back and forth and couldn't find any blood anywhere . Nick told me he had seen 3 different bucks from the stand and he said one of them was a Hog . I got my ATV and we headed back to the vehicles , changed clothes and left .

That's it for Bow Hunting for the season .

The light came on on my Honda Rancher ATV that said Change Oil . It has 20 hours and 25 miles on it . I had to take the rear rack off to be able to remove the seat so I could take the side off and check the oil . The level was okay and I reset the system so it didn't read oil change anymore . I'll do the change after gun season .

Got the shotgun and in-line ready as well as my gear .

I have a Wake to go to this afternoon and then I will come home , change clothes and load connect the trailer and load the ATV .

My oldest son got to the property before I did and headed for the woods . He had about 3 times the distance to go than I had . I got settled in the stand by 6 am .Sat back and relaxed . I heard the 1st shot at 6:45 . I had a nice doe go by at 6:50 and then a yearling a few minutes later . Legal time wasn't until almost 7:10 . Around 8:30 I heard some shots from the woods and my son called and said he had a doe down across the ditch and she was behind a log . He was waiting for her to expire or get up so he could finish her off which he did shortly thereafter . It was a big doe . I waited about an hour and took the sled down to him . He had made a makeshift bridge and we got the deer across without spilling her in the water or us getting soaked .

I walked back up to my vehicle and got my ATV and drove back down to get the deer . I dropped a chain-on near the stand I used as that stand was an older model and I didn't like it . Got his deer and then I put up the new chain-on , trimmed some limbs and went up to the car to grab a sandwich and some water .

Sat in the new stand at 1 pm . Wasn't seeing anything . Really bored . Around 3:30 I heard shots west of me and a few minutes later 2 doe were leaping through the cat tails . My son met me at 4:30 and we headed to the ATV . Saw 3 doe in the field west of where I had parked the ATV . We called it a day !

post-132-0-99339000-1321756497_thumb.jpg

I thought I had a dental appointment late tomorrow morning but it's the following Monday so I plan to head for Geneseo again . The forecast shows rain around 11 am and then again around 3 pm . I will take a Tent Blind with me and extra Flo Orange marking tape to hang on the blind . If I don't score in the am , I will head for the woods , pick up my son's ladder stand and place it in another spot .

Here are pics of the my old stand that my son shot shot his doe from as well as some of the woods ...........

post-132-0-98437300-1321830321_thumb.jpg

post-132-0-06749600-1321830344_thumb.jpg

post-132-0-14537200-1321830372_thumb.jpg

post-132-0-67358100-1321830387_thumb.jpg

yes ---- 44 mag .

It's 35 degrees here in Ontario and almost the same in Geneseo . I am leaving in a few minutes to give it another try . I hope the deer aren't hunkered down and scared from the shooting from the past 2 days . I hate sitting out in a cold windy treestand !

Left for Geneseo at 5 am and arrived at 6 am . Got situated in the treestand and relaxed . Didn't see a blessed thing while there . Heard 3 individual shots from different directions . The only shots I had heard all day long .

At 10:30 I walked to the woods . As I left the overgrown field and got about 30 yards into the woods I saw 4 white tails hauling butt . I walked back to my stand that my son shot a doe from opening day . Saw a hunter walking across the back of the woods so I sat in the stand for 1/2 hour got down and started to drag my son's ladder stand out . I got about 100 yards and spotted 2 doe moving fast from the overgrown field across the woods . They didn't offer a shot so I kept going . Left the stand at the edge of the woods and walked back to get my ATV which was almost 3/4 mile away .

Took down a chain-on that I had installed Saturday and put it up in the woods where I had an old crappy stand . Tied the ladder stand to the ATV and took it back to the tree where I had removed the chain-on . With the ladder stand I was able to have it face the North toward the pond and cattails . Sat in that stand in the afternoon and saw nothing . My back was killing me and I couldn't get comfortable sitting in the stand . I gave up at 4:15 .

I'll be back at it Wednesday but it looks like a rainy morning so my youngest son and I will maybe just hunt the afternoon .

I am whipped and feeling my age !

What a great Dad! You rock Eddie! I should say you are a rock!

I felt like a rock at the end of the day but I slept well . My back was killing me so I took some Doan's Pills and then read the warnings and side affects . Shouldn't be taking those things .

With the rain we had last evening and the forecast for more rain today my youngest son chose to cancel out . He felt it was better to back out than to get soaked and sit in a stand in 18 mph winds so I didn't go . I will take care of some other business today .

My SIL needs some help putting some hay away Friday so I just might do that , then hunt in Groveland and sleep over at my Mother's / Sister's house . Then it will be only an 8 mile drive to my SIL's property Saturday am .

Went to my SIL's yesterday am and helped her put a PU truckload of hay in her barn and then hraded for Groveland . Expected to be in the stand by 2 pm but it turned out to be 3pm . Wasn't seeing anything but at close to 4:30 I heard a loud shot from someones back yard about 500 yards away and saw 4 deer hauling . Didn't see anything near me . Got down , went to the house and got out some old photo albums to take home and scan .

Got to bed just after 8 pm and back up at 4 am . Had coffee and oatmeal and headed for Geneseo . I was in a stand in the woods by 5:45 and didn't see a thing all morning . Heard sporadic shots in various directions . Helped the SIL unload another PU truck of hay in the barn . Went to a spot and set up a ground blind overlooking a pasture , winter wheat field and lane . Sat down at 1 pm . Didn't see a thing until 3:30 . A doe about 400 yards down the field . She seemed pretty relaxed . Around 4:15 I got out of the blind to trim a few branches . When i started to get my gear I saw a small buck a little over 100 yards away in the lower pasture lot . I didn't attempt to shoot because the 2 horses were down there and the 3 were too close together . Gotta let my back recuperate for a couple days !

post-132-0-77591200-1322359326_thumb.jpg

post-132-0-80940600-1322359340_thumb.jpg

Still no luck but apparently I am the Good Samaritan ....... I repaired a Permanent stand in the woods and my son shot a doe opening day from that stand with his 44 mag pistol . I hunted from that stand the following week and saw zilch .

I busted my butt getting the ladder stand that my oldest son had taken down and put it up at a willow tree overlooking a cat tail area and winter wheat field . Sat in the stand that afternoon and didn't see a thing . My youngest son wanted to hunt with me today so I had him use the ladder stand that I had put up in the Willow . He shot a doe with the 12 ga at 20 yards this am . He almost shot my decoy . Nick got down from the stand just past 10 am , walked up to his truck , got some different clothes on and we took my ATV down to where the doe was laying . I took a walk down to the woods while he field dressed the deer . The water doesn't drain off and the woods was like a swamp . I didn't kick anything up and went back to the ATV . Hauled the deer up to Nick's truck . Loaded it up and he left .

Anyway , I havn't had a shot but I made it easy for my 2 sons to take a couple deer and that's fine with me . That's what Dads are for .

I finally saw a doe around 3:45 pm and she seemed to be slowly working my way . The wind was from the West and she was 140 yards south of me . As she worked her way toward my direction she was obstructed by some brush but was looking toward the creek and thick stuff south of her . I needed her to move another 30 yards west but she bolted and ran off . At 4:30 I got out of the blind and grabbed my scent wicks and checked out the lane-way . I saw a doe feeding in the adjacent field about 150 yards out . There were horses beyond the deer so I wasn't about to shoot .

Here is the doe and how i haul them out ....post-132-0-21505800-1322706668_thumb.jpgpost-132-0-97605500-1322706685_thumb.jpg

Still no luck but apparently I am the Good Samaritan ....... I repaired a Permanent stand in the woods and my son shot a doe opening day from that stand with his 44 mag pistol . I hunted from that stand the following week and saw zilch .

I busted my butt getting the ladder stand that my oldest son had taken down and put it up at a willow tree overlooking a cat tail area and winter wheat field . Sat in the stand that afternoon and didn't see a thing . My youngest son wanted to hunt with me today so I had him use the ladder stand that I had put up in the Willow . He shot a doe with the 12 ga at 20 yards this am . He almost shot my decoy . Nick got down from the stand just past 10 am , walked up to his truck , got some different clothes on and we took my ATV down to where the doe was laying . I took a walk down to the woods while he field dressed the deer . The water doesn't drain off and the woods was like a swamp . I didn't kick anything up and went back to the ATV . Hauled the deer up to Nick's truck . Loaded it up and he left .

Anyway , I havn't had a shot but I made it easy for my 2 sons to take a couple deer and that's fine with me . That's what Dads are for .

I finally saw a doe around 3:45 pm and she seemed to be slowly working my way . The wind was from the West and she was 140 yards south of me . As she worked her way toward my direction she was obstructed by some brush but was looking toward the creek and thick stuff south of her . I needed her to move another 30 yards west but she bolted and ran off . At 4:30 I got out of the blind and grabbed my scent wicks and checked out the lane-way . I saw a doe feeding in the adjacent field about 150 yards out . There were horses beyond the deer so I wasn't about to shoot .

Here is the doe and how i haul them out ....post-132-0-21505800-1322706668_thumb.jpgpost-132-0-97605500-1322706685_thumb.jpg

Eddie, got to get me one of those sleds. Bust my butt getting the deer on the back of my quad, some times I have to hoist them up in a tree and back under them and lower them on the quad. Sled looks like the best way to get them out of the woods. Thanks for the idea.

Dave

Fletch, I think you nailed it by calling him the guide. He is moving stand sets and scouting them. Then he puts the boys in them and they are succesful.Then he hauls them out for them. Only thing he didn't do was get his hands bloody. Smart guide!!! HAHA