2020 Lawn Thread!

BizCT

I was at my dealer today looking at possibly getting a new mower.  Decided against it.  Only have a couple more yrs before I cut way back.  No need to spend 14k at this point. 

I'll be starting spring cleanups next week.  Hopefully I can get them all done before the grass needs cutting. 

Snow blower going away this weekend.  

Yep just but the snow blower away today.   

I burned out the gas in mine last weekend. It was used 0 times this winter! Still nice insurance to have tho. I rearranged the shed today

f84f80e3c1eb61e0b7559a5cfd1bd2f0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I burned out the gas in mine last weekend. It was used 0 times this winter! Still nice insurance to have tho. I rearranged the shed today

f84f80e3c1eb61e0b7559a5cfd1bd2f0.jpg

Working from home due to C19.   Lol

15 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

So when do I toss grass seed down to repair some areas in the lawn where it got tore it from the plow?

Now is fine.  Even if its still a bit cold up by you it will lay dormant until warm enough.  Good bit of moisture in the ground this time of year, and rainy.  We have already started lawn repairs at work, but its been in the 50s, and 60s.  If you get a cold snap for awhile after the seed starts sprouting, like under 50ish it might affect it, but generally I haven’t seen issues. 

• Like 1

Now is fine.  Even if its still a bit cold up by you it will lay dormant until warm enough.  Good bit of moisture in the ground this time of year, and rainy.  We have already started lawn repairs at work, but its been in the 50s, and 60s.  If you get a cold snap for awhile after the seed starts sprouting, like under 50ish it might affect it, but generally I haven’t seen issues. 

Just toss the seed on top?

16 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

Just toss the seed on top?

are you just fixing whats peeled up from the plow? Are you adding top soil? Or is it just a little scuffed here, and there.  If you have spots that are just patches of where grass was tore off, and are not filling them in with top soil, then just scratch those patches with an iron rake, to lightly loosen, sprinkle seed down, and just step on it to pack it all down.  Helps create seed-to-soil contact, and also helps from it washing away in heavy rain.

If you are adding top soil,  smoothen out all the added top soil, if its inches deep you will want to pack it in(Run it over with a smooth mower tire, or step it all down by foot), and keep adding soil until you are flush with the unaffected surrounding areas, then lightly loosen about a half inch of the surface(again seed/soil contact), then sprinkle your seed.  Then take a spring rake/leaf rake upside down, and just run the upside down leaf rake over the top just to lightly create additional seed to soil contact.  Try to keep the seed distributed relatively evenly.  If need be sprinkle a little more seed, then run it all over with lawn mower tire, or step it down with your feet to pack it all in.  I am making this sound more involved then it really is, but its how we do it, and once you do this, you will see its simple/quick.  

Edited by Bionic
  • Like 1

are you just fixing whats peeled up from the plow? Are you adding top soil? Or is it just a little scuffed here, and there.  If you have spots that are just patches of where grass was tore off, and are not filling them in with top soil, then just scratch those patches with an iron rake, to lightly loosen, sprinkle seed down, and just step on it to pack it all down.  Helps create seed-to-soil contact, and also helps from it washing away in heavy rain.
If you are adding top soil,  smoothen out all the added top soil, if its inches deep you will want to pack it in(Run it over with a smooth mower tire, or step it all down by foot), and keep adding soil until you are flush with the unaffected surrounding areas, then lightly loosen about a half inch of the surface(again seed/soil contact), then sprinkle your seed.  Then take a spring rake/leaf rake upside down, and just run the upside down leaf rake over the top just to lightly create additional seed to soil contact.  Try to keep the seed distributed relatively evenly.  If need be sprinkle a little more seed, then run it all over with lawn mower tire, or step it down with your feet to pack it all in.  I am making this sound more involved then it really is, but its how we do it, and once you do this, you will see its simple/quick.  

Makes perfect sense. Thanks!

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Have you called Biz Landscape and Design? With flight prices low you might be able to get him at a steal!

I dont care about my lawn that much. 

Does this Biz Landscape and Design do free antler measurements? or maybe he works for micro beers? 

• Like 1

I’m in the process of creating a new lawn at my house. Soil test complete. First tilling and OM addition complete. Installing a drainage catch basin and line and re-contouring the seedbed. Will have to spray R-Up and re-till. Soil is crappy, Rocky red clay. Will be seeding when soil temperature reaches 65*. Lots of hand work for an old fart.

12 minutes ago, bugsNbows said:

I’m in the process of creating a new lawn at my house. Soil test complete. First tilling and OM addition complete. Installing a drainage catch basin and line and re-contouring the seedbed. Will have to spray R-Up and re-till. Soil is crappy, Rocky red clay. Will be seeding when soil temperature reaches 65*. Lots of hand work for an old fart.

How large is your lawn?  Might be worth renting a toro dingo with a harley rake.  It will level out and the area while mixing the new top(if adding) with the current soil.  Makes a nice smooth seed bed. 

This is a small lawn at only about 4K. I'm going to be testing some new (to me) bermuda grass varieties (Yukon, Blackjack and Maya). Also will be playing with nutrition and pest management. I'm not familiar with that Toro product... will check it out.  Us old retired folks need a hobby! LOL

Spent my obligatory $100 on lawn care for the year....here’s my process. Make kids rake and weed weasel...throw overly priced product down, water once and watch the first wiffle ball game destroy all progress.
Repeat next spring!
e50795ba7681be6ecf3dce3310341075.jpg

• Like 3

Spent my obligatory $100 on lawn care for the year....here’s my process. Make kids rake and weed weasel...throw overly priced product down, water once and watch the first wiffle ball game destroy all progress.
Repeat next spring!
e50795ba7681be6ecf3dce3310341075.jpg&key=cb00fe37a2b3bceb7a1292491dac7833ae93977f9ede02737d750e3c82010e4a

Trevor Bauer’s game? I was wondering where that was.

Trevor Bauer’s game? I was wondering where that was.

Ha...I would bet good $$$ on some of these MS and HS kids over the pros in wiffle ball. The shit they can make that ball do ....

• Like 1

Ha...I would bet good $$$ on some of these MS and HS kids over the pros in wiffle ball. The shit they can make that ball do ....

In 2008, I threw 17 shutout wiffle
Ball innings 1 afternoon. Around 250-300 pitches if I had to guess. My arm was hanging for a few days