2020 Lawn Thread!

BizCT

38 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

First complete yard cut is in the books. The best part is I didn’t have to do it. Child labor is the best thing since sliced bread!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks to Covid-19 and the cancellation of school and after school activities, this would have been the first year that our 15 and 16 year old daughters could have helped out with the lawn mowing.  I won't let them do it because some of the safety features have been removed or by-passed long ago on both of our lawn mowers.  I never would have taken off and discarded those "extra" guards and bypassed the anti-reverse ignition cut-offs, etc, had I known about this. 

I also finished the whole yard for the first time of the year today.  It was the second time for the back yard, which grows a lot faster.   Our girls like it kept short, for practicing their field hockey.  I don't mind doing the lawn mowing now, when it is still too wet to work out in the fields with larger equipment.    In a few more weeks, I will have had enough of it though.     

Mowing today was not bad at all.  It was my first time of the year with our hydrostatic transmission lawn-mower.  That one is way more comfortable than the gear-drive one, that I used the first time on the back yard.   I like having one with each transmission type.  The gear-drive mower is better when the grass is real thick.  

I recently completed some major rework on the hydro.  I installed some anti-vibration motor mounts, and weld repaired the muffler.  I also lubed it, weld repaired the mower deck, and sharpened the blades.  Now it runs and cuts just as quiet and significantly smoother than it did when it was new.  With the freshly-sharpened blades, it even handled the thick spots pretty good.      

• Like 1

Thanks to Covid-19 and the cancellation of school and after school activities, this would have been the first year that our 15 and 16 year old daughters could have helped out with the lawn mowing.  I won't let them do it because some of the safety features have been removed or by-passed long ago on both of our lawn mowers.  I never would have taken off and discarded those "extra" guards and bypassed the anti-reverse ignition cut-offs, etc, had I known about this. 
I also finished the whole yard for the first time of the year today.  It was the second time for the back yard, which grows a lot faster.   Our girls like it kept short, for practicing their field hockey.  I don't mind doing the lawn mowing now, when it is still too wet to work out in the fields with larger equipment.    In a few more weeks, I will have had enough of it though.     
Mowing today was not bad at all.  It was my first time of the year with our hydrostatic transmission lawn-mower.  That one is way more comfortable than the gear-drive one, that I used the first time on the back yard.   I like having one with each transmission type.  The gear-drive mower is better when the grass is real thick.  
I recently completed some major rework on the hydro.  I installed some anti-vibration motor mounts, and weld repaired the muffler.  I also lubed it, weld repaired the mower deck, and sharpened the blades.  Now it runs and cuts just as quiet and significantly smoother than it did when it was new.  With the freshly-sharpened blades, it even handled the thick spots pretty good.      

She’s only 10 but she’s very timid and not wild at all. So I wasn’t worried about her going faster than she could handle.

The mower is only 3 years old and has all its safety features in tact which is another key reason why I let her to do because I agree with you no way would I let her do it without all the safety features.

When I was looking at zero turns I really leaned towards to getting one with the steering wheel vs. one with the lap bars with her in mind. I knew my wife could get use to the lap bars but doubted that my girls would and having them learn how to cut the grass has always been a plan of mine. I intend that both my girls will enter adult hood knowing how to take care of themselves and that they won’t need to rely on anyone.

Having her cut the grass today was such a huge help. While she did that I started working on repairing our utility trailer so we could take our ATV out to the property today.

7 hours ago, Moho81 said:

She’s only 10 but she’s very timid and not wild at all. So I wasn’t worried about her going faster than she could handle.

The mower is only 3 years old and has all its safety features in tact which is another key reason why I let her to do because I agree with you no way would I let her do it without all the safety features.

When I was looking at zero turns I really leaned towards to getting one with the steering wheel vs. one with the lap bars with her in mind. I knew my wife could get use to the lap bars but doubted that my girls would and having them learn how to cut the grass has always been a plan of mine. I intend that both my girls will enter adult hood knowing how to take care of themselves and that they won’t need to rely on anyone.

Having her cut the grass today was such a huge help. While she did that I started working on repairing our utility trailer so we could take our ATV out to the property today.

Our girls have been pitching in with in-the-house tasks, mostly out of boredom, with no after-school activities.   The best thing about the Covid-19 deal is getting to spend more time with them.   Our 15 year-old and I had an 8-ball tournament last night while her older sister was at work at the pizza joint.   She almost beat me once (I was quite the pool shark in my younger days).   It was not quite warm enough for a camp-fire, but we have been looking forward to some of those.    Hopefully, there will be plenty of those, and a little yard work help from them in the coming weeks.

In fact, that gives me an idea for a good inside-the-shop job for the next week of predicted foul-weather, starting today.   My father in law gave me a big old, leaky, air-compressor tank that I am going to make into a fire-pit.  A little work with a cut-off wheel and drill and it should be good to go.  It will definitely be better than the old rusted-out rear tractor rim that we have been using.     

Those zero turns are nice.  My uncle (who lives next door) has one, as does my dad.   My uncle borrowed my hydro, conventional-model last year, when his zero-turn was being repaired.  He said that mine sure was tough to steer, but at least it got his lawn cut when his was down.   I cut another neighbor's with their zero-turn a couple times a few years ago, and it was definitely a time saver.   I think I could cut about 15 minutes off the hour it takes me to cut our acre of grass with one of those.                

Fortunately  the water receded  just before dark ... raining again at the moment.  Looks like I have 4 trees to cut up and a bunch of brush  to dig out of the yard . Hard to tell how much gravel and stone  will be left  when it dries  out. 

• Like 1

Just a man and his mower. I have a lot of work to do after the excavator tore up the lawn. New house, new garden, new patio, equals a lot of damn work during the apocalypse.  I have an offer to slam some bass on a private lake but tomorrow is a lawn/garden day. 

I had fun on my new mower today, I'm 34 and have never touched a riding or zero turn mower, my mom always put my ass to work with our push mower. After that there was no mower needed in Delaware or Hawaii.  These riding mowers are fun! Even has a beer holder.

Screenshot_20200502-195935_Photos.jpg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

dc722900f32e6dda91b8006e7041dceb.jpg
6eeb939c475cd971f1fcad7bde209f31.jpg

5/5: Tuesday night mow. Maybe 1 more week before second Scott’s treatment? My first was 4/1

I'm doing my step 2 next week or maybe this weekend if the weather is right. Did step 1 in late March. We're safe to go again.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Can I put “weed and feed” down now if I have newly germinated grass?
51ccaf77ada41ec639c1f9f09e634557.jpg

I believe the directions on the bag so not to.  If it s a small area, you can hand pull some of the weeds, or hit individual ones with a light solution of roundup. 

• Like 1