Porcupine

wooly

Got out for a short hike today and found my first ever porcupine here on the edge of a stand of big hemlocks. I've seen the sign around for a few years now but never laid eyes on one in the wild.

He seems to be missing an ass full of quills to me, but I'm no expert on these things. Very lethargic critter that tried to keep his butt towards me every time I tried to get in front of him for a pic which I'm guessing is his best defense.

Tough dudes to photograph that's for sure, and if he wasn't sitting off the trail not 5ft away from me I probably would have walked right by him without noticing.

I didn't have much time to spend with him, so eventually we both made off in separate directions unharmed.

DSC_0009.JPG.fdd24403f010c133b2e11cac0d7ee9f6.JPG

DSC_0015.JPG.6d74937734febad6a172a5ca3bcb9bfb.JPG

DSC_0023.thumb.JPG.906434fcc952236c30994f1f702fb2bc.JPG

DSC_0032.JPG.c736fa42de610a4e0e22aab46fe7a4a1.JPG

DSC_0016.JPG.f3af9a814dcba853af9a3600b452f0e1.JPG

DSC_0045.JPG.f87b860dc1f438ed25773ceb25025cda.JPG

• Like 21

5 minutes ago, rachunter said:

Somewhere there's a dog with a face full of quills. There one of the slowest mammals I've ever seen.

Haha- I wasn't sure if that's just how slow they really moved, or if he was injured.

I was actually hoping to find a few quills laying around just for my personal collection of animal parts, but I couldn't find any. I probably could have just reached down and plucked a few out of him, but I decided against that idea at the last moment,lol

• Haha 1

Haha- I wasn't sure if that's just how slow they really moved, or if he was injured.
I was actually hoping to find a few quills laying around just for my personal collection of animal parts, but I couldn't find any. I probably could have just reached down and plucked a few out of him, but I decided against that idea at the last moment,lol

Send Bionic!!!
Awesome shots!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

See them quite frequently in the Catskills hiking and hunting.

They have made a nuisance of themselves on a few jobs I have done in those areas chewing on vehicles; cut both front brake lines on my truck when left over a weekend.

@wooly If you want some huge african porcupine quills send me pm; found one in a poachers snare and saved a handful of quills. Ate some of one whole roasted ungutted in the ground buried in coals.....but thats another story.

• Like 1

See them quite frequently in the Catskills hiking and hunting.
They have made a nuisance of themselves on a few jobs I have done in those areas chewing on vehicles; cut both front brake lines on my truck when left over a weekend.
[mention=233]wooly[/mention] If you want some huge african porcupine quills send me pm; found one in a poachers snare and saved a handful of quills. Ate some of one whole roasted ungutted in the ground buried in coals.....but thats another story.

I tried to cook and eat one it was to greasy. How was the African version?

Nice picts, Matt  !!

We have lots of 'em here in Dogpatch...I see them on the property  often...Had one nibbling on my tower stand a couple of years ago...120 grain Barnes TSX  @ 3000 fps are very effective on them..

Years ago, when I was MUCH younger and even dumber than I am now, I  tried to kill one with a hand held 18"  Japanese bayonet.. He retreated under a junked car and I went in after him on my belly...He started backing toward me swinging his tail like a club...I was very lucky to escape without a face full of quills..

I suspect alcohol was involved....

• Like 3

From the NYS DEC web site;

The few unprotected species include porcupine, red squirrel, woodchuck, English sparrow, starling, rock pigeon, and monk parakeet. Unprotected species may be taken at any time without limit. A hunting license is required to hunt unprotected wildlife with a bow, crossbow, or firearm.

Choot ‘em.

• Like 2

I've massacred more then I care to admit in the 80s and early 90s.  I saw one a couple years ago on our property just walking along, he got a pass to enjoy another day 

Finding a nice porky tree is a great spot to sit. Their smell surely masks ours .

• Like 1

I've had to kill a few dozen of them in the middle of the night when one decides it wants to gnaw on the siding of my house.  Every one I ever killed was eaten by something within two nights, leaving only some quills on the ground where it laid.  The belly is the spot without quills that can be opened to get to the meat.

A farmer friend once spent a hot summer's day replacing every rubber hose and belt on his old tractor, only to have the porkies chew it all to heel over night.  They go for the salt in the sweat left on stuff.

They can be dispatched with a large rock because they're so slow.  Great for survival food if you ever find yourself starving in the woods without any type of weapon to hunt with.

Nice picts, Matt  !!
We have lots of 'em here in Dogpatch...I see them on the property ...He started backing toward me swinging his tail like a club...I was very lucky to escape without a face full of quills..
I suspect alcohol was involved....

I didn’t know they drank.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There are lots of porkies around. Usually you find them in trees, but they don't move much and when they do it is slowly, so are easy to miss. They actually are pretty amiable if you aren't bothering them. For years we used to shoot them on sight, but I leave them alone now. 

they are usually quite layered in fat. If you trim the fat off and parboil them, they are quite tasty on the grill barbequed...a lot like woodchuck. Come now, you have eaten woodchuck haven't you?

Only mammal a human can run down and kill. Considered survival food in many northern areas killing them there just to kill is frowned upon. Around here I remove everyone I get a chance to. Destroy timber in a hurry...

You don’t think I can run down a sloth?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro