Buckwheat?

Buckwheat is great. Especially in low AG areas. Deer will eat it, the soil benefits from it and it can be planted 2 or 3x in one growing season. I use it in summer soil building blends and occasionally in the fall blends for bowhunting locations.. I would shy away from monoculture plantings.. and they say it should not be used as a nurse crop due to it volunteering and re seeding.. but it all depends on your end goal.. 

I plant and let go to seed, it serves dual purpose , make great nectar for my bees, and seed is craved by turkey and deer..  it is only crop you can harvest in 90 days. So you could plant in spring for bees and birds, and again in july ( usually plant here around the 4th) and harvest in fall ,or leave stand and get bird and bucks in it till all the seed heads are gone.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2020 at 10:34 AM, G-Man said:

Make me wonder if you ever ate buckwheat pancakes.... ...hmmm

Sounded good, reminded me to get out of freezer some blueberry venison sausage and I'll have new hope Mills buckwheat pancake mix for breakfast tomorrow.

• Like 1