Hunting for food out of season

Five Seasons

This isn't meant to be a doom and gloom thread, it's just a conversation so please check your nonsense at the door and lets have a friendly hypothetical discussion.

How would you feel if you learned a neighbor shot a deer or 2 out of season to feed his family during a hardship? Would you ever do the same? How would you feel if it was a 3.5 year old buck who had dropped his antlers? How would you feel if the doe hadn't dropped her fawns yet?

3 minutes ago, Belo said:

This isn't meant to be a doom and gloom thread, it's just a conversation so please check your nonsense at the door and lets have a friendly hypothetical discussion.

How would you feel if you learned a neighbor shot a deer or 2 out of season to feed his family during a hardship? Would you ever do the same? How would you feel if it was a 3.5 year old buck who had dropped his antlers? How would you feel if the doe hadn't dropped her fawns yet?

Totally fine as long as it's not with a Matthew's or a x-bow.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

True need ... a family in crisis... I would do the deed for them ... that said there is a lot of help out there for people ... families.  No  what if rack is worth somebody's life . I known of one family  that was refused services  after moving do to state  residents  proof issues . They were taken care of by neighbors  and friends until things were cleared up . People take care of people  not governments.

Been there, done that....within reason.

Circumstances vary too much to give blanket coverage, because I don't cater to the parties that spend all their money on booze and pot, but figure they cant afford milk and eggs and cereal...oh, but that's a nice 2020 Nissan in the driveway.. At the same time I have worked several jobs at the same time and grown gardens to put food on my table when in need. And didn't feel I needed to drop a doe on the back forty.

I am blessed with a neighborhood where there are more deer running around than kids. I already told my wife, if needed, I would harvest from the neighborhood. If this was real life or death, I would take anything I could, including the neighbor's pets. I would butcher my neighbor's deer for him, but only if he shot it with a Matthews @NockednLoaded :rofl:

• Like 2

Fortunately  fishing is going on , lakes here are all melted I would expect more people fishing for food. Personally I would take geese 1st as they are nuisance more often than not, quick to clean and easy to remove.. deer are a lot of work with warmer weather upon us soon.

the unfortunate thing is "need" is always subject to abuse and exploitation. nobody should have a problem with people hunting for food when in need. However, any hunting should be done through an emergency extended or extra season, where DEC monitors the deer take that's reported at least if not better than it typically is. History has showed us that when there's such a demand wild game populations can be wiped out and selling of game largely benefiting those with the least conscience.

• Like 1

Define need. Try everything possible to make Money to buy food first. Scrub toilets, cut grass, etc. whatever it takes to buy food first before poaching. Go fishing first as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd feel like he was breaking the law. Since when does being hungry give you the ok to be a poacher? No, I wouldn't do the same and I don't care what kind of deer it was. Depending on the type of relationship we had and how I learned the info would play a part.

I'd hope is was just a friend who was too embarrassed to admit they needed help and made a poor decision. If he needs food, more than likely he needs other important things as well. Neighbors should take care of neighbors and if he'd let me, I'd help anyway I could. If you have the support network, hell even if you don't, help is not hard to find. 

It's very easy to come up with justifications for one's crap behavior. People make careers out of it lol.  But having principles and sticking to them during hard times seems a better option to me at least.

9 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Define need. Try everything possible to make Money to buy food first. Scrub toilets, cut grass, etc. whatever it takes to buy food first before poaching. Go fishing first as well.

Sell your gun -->  buy some food

• Like 1

My mothers family was very....well lets just admit my grandmother was the first adult to hold down a real job (and then for fifty years at the Cortland Corset Factory). Historically, they always lived very close to the land...they poached year round. Not uncommon, as nobody really had jobs, and they just usually did day work...which was very common. Back then (pre-nineteen 30s) there was no game. The land was pretty much cleaned out due to illegal hunting. Deer were seldom seen, and when they were they were shot on sight. All these families could be said to be needy. The end result took decades to recover from. We have more deer now in NY then ever before. If times got hard again (not "oh, we cant go to Disney this year hard...but cupboards are bare, 1930s depression hard ) our deer herds would probably get wiped out again in the first year. 

• Like 3

Send them to my daughters town , deer are a true nuisance, I know one guy who killed 23 doe in one bow season in the town hunt . 

This is today behind her house, same as any other day . 

They would probably get an award from the town .

A1346C26-E7A1-4CA2-9E8A-57C71ED1F60D.jpeg

Edited by Nomad

I’m pretty sure I know what sparked the start of this thread. I will say this if things got so bad I didn’t want to go to the store and my freezer was cleaned out I wouldn’t even think twice.

• Like 2

My mothers family was very....well lets just admit my grandmother was the first adult to hold down a real job (and then for fifty years at the Cortland Corset Factory). Historically, they always lived very close to the land...they poached year round. Not uncommon, as nobody really had jobs, and they just usually did day work...which was very common. Back then (pre-nineteen 30s) there was no game. The land was pretty much cleaned out due to illegal hunting. Deer were seldom seen, and when they were they were shot on sight. All these families could be said to be needy. The end result took decades to recover from. We have more deer now in NY then ever before. If times got hard again (not "oh, we cant go to Disney this year hard...but cupboards are bare, 1930s depression hard ) our deer herds would probably get wiped out again in the first year. 

With the decline of hunter numbers, the plethora of deer (especially in suburbs) will be perfectly fine. Biz don’t shoot does, Chef only shoot babies and Jerky misses! I’ll start taking orders now and stamp Costanza prices on that $hit!!!

Teach a man to shoot feed him for ever- can’t use the “sell the $1000 bow” line.

And I can’t fish to eat worth a shot...fly fishing okay but that just don’t produce the meat as well.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Elmo said:

Jokes aside, it is legitimate.  If you can afford to shoot a deer with a $1000 bow, how "needy" were you?

Who says you bought it.. perhaps a win on a ticket, a gift, bought used at 3/4 off price.. if you need to hunt to eat would you buy a iffy bow or gun or would you buy something that is reliable used? 

Stupid and xbow have been around forever , my neighbor has one with a metal spring for bow, and my friend has one he brought back from vietnam...  

Not legitimate at all.. as much as if you say that you have no business  hunting at all... smh