Hunting for food out of season

Five Seasons

17 minutes ago, johnplav said:

Just checked my 401k... heading out to go deer hunting. 

I have specifically avoided looking at mine.  Holding the course no matter the storm.  Hopefully this ends better than it did for the boys from Gloucester MA!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I have specifically avoided looking at mine.  Holding the course no matter the storm.  Hopefully this ends better than it did for the boys from Gloucester MA!

I never check mine ,I know it's set up properly to do what needs to be done for when I retire . Whats done is done ,why bother even looking at it.

Basing my response to this post with the assumption that it’s intent and audience is related to the COVID-19 pandemic, how much game is really afield to be poached? I’m thinking if this pandemic really got ahold and there was limited supply, how long could any population of game animal hold out against the 20 million residents of New York? 

Is Hoyt vs, Matthews equal to Ford vs Chevy here? :) 

Edited by Liquidonyx

I never check mine ,I know it's set up properly to do what needs to be done for when I retire . Whats done is done ,why bother even looking at it.

Why would you do a thing like that ? I mean check your 401k at a time like this.

I’m a man of routine. I check mine every single morning. It’s just part of my day. For those of you who never check it, you should be checking it time To Time to make sure your employer is making the correct contributions etc. also, you want to check as you get old to plan accordingly for retirement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

:D

30 minutes ago, Liquidonyx said:

Basing my response to this post with the assumption that it’s intent and audience is related to the COVID-19 pandemic, how much game is really afield to be poached? I’m thinking if this pandemic really got ahold and there was limited supply, how long could any population of game animal hold out against the 20 million residents of New York? 

Is Hoyt vs, Matthews equal to Ford vs Chevy here? :) 

It's well established the hoyt and Mathews are sub par to elite. 

• Like 1

Is Hoyt vs, Matthews equal to Ford vs Chevy here?  

Hoyt and Matthews have been locked in a battle for third and fourth, yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, moog5050 said:

13 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

i subscribe to mint.com. Totally free service and allows me to see all the transactions for all my accounts easily in one place. Plus budget and see trends etc. PS the wife doesn't need to know what I spend on hunting.

Anyhow the 401k is linked to it and it's unavoidable... and it's also everything you fear it would be. 

I have 2 Hoyts, but don't enough about bows to talk smack.  They are comfortable to shoot, made in USA and I got great deals on them.

Although now that I know Elite's are quality bows and are made less than 10 miles from my house... they'll be at the top of my list for my next bow.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 3/18/2020 at 9:05 AM, johnplav said:

I have 2 Hoyts, but don't enough about bows to talk smack.  They are comfortable to shoot, made in USA and I got great deals on them.

Although now that I know Elite's are quality bows and are made less than 10 miles from my house... they'll be at the top of my list for my next bow.

Once you shoot an elite and get used to their draw cycle you wont go back to Hoyt. The wall is amazing on a well tuned bow

On 3/17/2020 at 10:37 PM, Jeremy K said:

:D

It's well established the hoyt and Mathews are sub par to elite. 

On 3/17/2020 at 10:49 PM, The_Real_TCIII said:

Hoyt and Matthews have been locked in a battle for third and fourth, yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

On 3/17/2020 at 11:06 PM, Liquidonyx said:

Who would be 1 and 2?

On 3/17/2020 at 11:09 PM, Jeremy K said:

Depends who you ask ,Elite on top and then from there you'll hear either Prime or Bowtech for second. Hoyt and mathews guys are gonna love where this thread has gone LOL

How the hell did I miss this pile of garbage? Prime and Bowtech? GTFO.

You're shooting a Matthews or your're shooting something that belongs on the shelves of walmart!

I'm out

• Like 2

I think that if your situation is dire enough you cant feed your family poaching a deer is probably not the best solution. Or one that will last. In this world of free government handouts I almost find it impossible. You could do better dumpster diving behind a fancy restaurant lol. I think there are a lot of better, easier and legal ways. And as others said you could get more roadkill deer legally than you could probably shoot! Fishing and foraging would be more balanced. 

I don't think too many deer have been poached that actually saved a person from starving in the past 75 years.

Now end of the world scenario all bets are off and I have just taken over a Walmart warehouse and fortified my position!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Fletch said:

I think that if your situation is dire enough you cant feed your family poaching a deer is probably not the best solution. Or one that will last. In this world of free government handouts I almost find it impossible. You could do better dumpster diving behind a fancy restaurant lol. I think there are a lot of better, easier and legal ways. And as others said you could get more roadkill deer legally than you could probably shoot! Fishing and foraging would be more balanced. 

I don't think too many deer have been poached that actually saved a person from starving in the past 75 years.

Now end of the world scenario all bets are off and I have just taken over a Walmart warehouse and fortified my position!

so maybe saving from starvation isn't where I intended it, but more about filling some voids in the pantry. One deer is going to last a lot longer and be more efficient than all that fish (assuming they're in season too). I also wouldn't dumpster dive in place of venison either. Also I think that's illegal. 

Finally, and this was the point of the thread to some degree. Quite a few people out there do not want to or like to rely on uncle sam for their handouts. So while yes that's a better legal path, it's a tough one for some and maybe the cheap groceries food stamps will buy are not the good quality protein you want. 

food for thought

• Like 1

That's a hard piece of question. I will not accept something like this because rules have to be respected, and if you decide to break them, you should be ready to pay for what you did. I would also advise my neighbor on how to save some money with all its shopping so that there could be extra cash for the important stuff. I always use the promo codes hoopladoopla.com offers and choose to do rational shopping. This way, I benefit from the existing advantages and save the money I'm working from. So no excuses should be made for the neighbor. There are plenty of options that can help you in any bad situation.

And there it is....wham bam LETH is SPAM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1