Thinking about building an AR 10

With all the builds going on it has got me thinking about trying my own. I am interested in building a NY compliant AR10. I am not really even sure where to start, where to look, how much to expect it to cost etc. I have been looking at parts on Gunbroker but I have no idea what is considered good and what is crap. I would be looking for MOA accuracy at 100 yds and its primary purpose would be a backup or maybe become my main deer rifle. I really like the .308 caliber. 

I would also consider 300 blackout, 450 Bushmaster or 458 Socom if that would be something I should consider. 

I know almost nothing about what direction to go so please excuse my ignorance. Other than I would like to shoot a bullet that will be a decent deer cartridge and I don't believe the .223 is that....

You can build an AR10 but not all parts are mil spec and compatible unlike an AR15.  It requires much more research.  Since you are new to this, I would suggest sticking with an AR15 and an upper that will serve you well on deer.  Honestly, I would suggest either 6.8spc or 6.5grendel over the options you mentioned but 300blackout, 450 and 458 will all do the job on deer. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

With all the builds going on it has got me thinking about trying my own. I am interested in building a NY compliant AR10. I am not really even sure where to start, where to look, how much to expect it to cost etc. I have been looking at parts on Gunbroker but I have no idea what is considered good and what is crap. I would be looking for MOA accuracy at 100 yds and its primary purpose would be a backup or maybe become my main deer rifle. I really like the .308 caliber. 

I would also consider 300 blackout, 450 Bushmaster or 458 Socom if that would be something I should consider. 

I know almost nothing about what direction to go so please excuse my ignorance. Other than I would like to shoot a bullet that will be a decent deer cartridge and I don't believe the .223 is that....

Closely following as I've never built an MSR, and I would like an AR-10 in .308 to be my next gun.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

You can build an AR10 but not all parts are mil spec and compatible unlike an AR15.  It requires much more research.  Since you are new to this, I would suggest sticking with an AR15 and an upper that will serve you well on deer.  Honestly, I would suggest either 6.8spc or 6.5grendel over the options you mentioned but 300blackout, 450 and 458 will all do the job on deer. 

If I was able to find my AR15, would I be better off just getting a new upper for it in a different caliber? Would it require different magazines, buffer tube etc?  I used to plink with my AR but I haven't seen it since the safe act and I don't hunt anything that the .223 is especially good for....I didn't build it, I just purchased it and it is completely stock Stag Arms....

Edited by ApexerER

6 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Closely following as I've never built an MSR, and I would like an AR-10 in .308 to be my next gun.

Same here. I want an AR-10 in .308 for my next rifle. I will be following, also. 

@moog5050 are you suggesting a .308 is not a good deer round? I don't want one for deer, more for hog. 

• Like 1

.458 socom and .450BM are both Ar-15 platforms. Same with .300BO which IMHO serves zero purpose without a can.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

Same here. I want an AR-10 in .308 for my next rifle. I will be following, also. 

@moog5050 are you suggesting a .308 is not a good deer round? I don't want one for deer, more for hog. 

I think he was saying an AR-10 is a harder platform to build. I am sure Moog knows a .308 is a perfectly good deer round...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

I think he was saying an AR-10 is a harder platform to build. I am sure Moog knows a .308 is a perfectly good deer round...

Perhaps I misunderstood. Sometimes the lack of inflection in text can really change the meaning of a statement. Take something simple like, "I didn't say I kick my dog" Every time you change the emphasis from one word to another in this statement, the overall meaning changes. Try it. 

Anyway, sorry for my misunderstanding.  

308 is obviously great - just less parts that match up with an AR10 build but it can be done.  I would stick with a 15 and yes any of the aforementioned uppers will work by just swapping uppers.  Some may require a different bolt like 6.8 spc as the case rim is slightly larger.  Not sure on 6.5 Grendel.  I could check on the 458 socom tonight. 

308 is obviously great - just less parts that match up with an AR10 build but it can be done.  I would stick with a 15 and yes any of the aforementioned uppers will work by just swapping uppers.  Some may require a different bolt like 6.8 spc as the case rim is slightly larger.  Not sure on 6.5 Grendel.  I could check on the 458 socom tonight. 
458 is a different bolt and barrel. The carrier is the same. And ejection port is larger than standard ar15 ejection port

11 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

458 is a different bolt and barrel. The carrier is the same. And ejection port is larger than standard ar15 ejection port

I assumed everyone knows barrel is specific to caliber.   I bought a built 458 upper.   Didn’t realize ejection port is enlarged.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

Perhaps I misunderstood. Sometimes the lack of inflection in text can really change the meaning of a statement. Take something simple like, "I didn't say I kick my dog" Every time you change the emphasis from one word to another in this statement, the overall meaning changes. Try it. 

Anyway, sorry for my misunderstanding.  

No reason to be sorry...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, moog5050 said:

So Moog, could I get this upper and nothing else? 

Sorry for my ignorance and thanks for the help.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/861350531

8 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

So Moog, could I get this upper and nothing else? 

Sorry for my ignorance and thanks for the help.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/861350531

You will need a 6.5 bolt for your 556 carrier group or an entire 6.5 Grendel bcg as I don’t see it included unless I missed it in the description.  You will also need a 6.5 Grendel magazine. 

• Like 1

Oh and speaking of a 10 chambered in 308 there is mine. I’ve been spending my spare time the past few days loading magazines and stashing them back in the cases with the appropriate gun

b727f4535b597e17d2dd737859204a30.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Im still putting together my AR10 in 243.. Not sure ill build another one of these. Not quite as simple as the 15 platform. And free time is not on my side these days.. 

Also, these builds are ridiculous, all i want to do is build another and another, then change this and that. its addicting and expensive lol. I dont even have the 243 ready to fire and Im already torn about going the 22creed route. stupid hobbies lol

8 hours ago, Chef said:

I’m with moog much better to start with a 15 I would say for what you are looking to build the 6.5 would be the way to go

Lots seem to opt for the Grendel, but the SPC has more energy at normal hunting ranges inside of 300yds.  

Lots seem to opt for the Grendel, but the SPC has more energy at normal hunting ranges inside of 300yds.  

I don’t disagree with you there I just personally find the grendel more versatile and fun

Still thinking on the AR10. Maybe it is stupid but I have two other .308's and I really like the caliber. 

If I was to purchase an upper and a lower, I know this wouldn't technically be a build. Is there anything else I would need or do you just pin them together and you got your rifle?