Thinking about building an AR 10

I have AR-15 uppers in 223, 6.5 Grendel, 50 Beowulf, and 7.62x39. As much as I like the Grendel, I would recommend the 7.62x39 for a first deer hunting AR. Get some practice out to 200 yards. Cheap practice ammo  Buy a built upper. Build a lower. Then move on to a different caliber if you think you need it.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

Still thinking on the AR10. Maybe it is stupid but I have two other .308's and I really like the caliber. 

If I was to purchase an upper and a lower, I know this wouldn't technically be a build. Is there anything else I would need or do you just pin them together and you got your rifle?

If you are asking about buying an upper and lower for 308, yes the idea is that you simply insert takedown pins and its ready to go.  But you need to be sure the upper and lower fit together since 308 is not mil spec.  That is why Zeek suggested buying an upper and lower from same manufacturer but in that case, you might as well buy a complete firearm as its usually cheaper.

If you are asking about AR 15, as a general matter, any upper and lower will fit together and the only thing you may need to change is the mag depending on what mag comes with the lower and what caliber upper you plan to use.  The complete upper should come with the correct bcg but if you need to buy bcg seperately, you will need to confirm that the bcg you buy is compatible with the upper caliber (6.8 and 224 use a different bolt than 223/556, as does 458 and perhaps some other larger calibers).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ApexerER said:

Interesting, Thanks Moog...

One thing really nice about the 6.8 is that is maintains velocity from a 16" barrel.  Probably the very best AR15 round for deer hunting at ranges from 0-350yds if you want a short barrel.

• Like 1

Oh and speaking of a 10 chambered in 308 there is mine. I’ve been spending my spare time the past few days loading magazines and stashing them back in the cases with the appropriate gun

b727f4535b597e17d2dd737859204a30.jpg&key=c1d58707db7227d38835668158ba462e0c06cf8756e82d25adbdeecdae3c5018

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sounds like you need to get a life brah

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, Gencountyzeek said:

My suggestion was to buy a matched stripped ar10 set. You can build from there. 

I was looking at these on gunbroker. Says it comes with everything other than the stripped lower. What I don't know is if the kits are crap or if they are decent. Also, from what Moog said you have to make sure the stripped lower will work with the kit. It sounds like they aren't all the same like the AR15 which I wasn't aware off....

1 hour ago, ApexerER said:

I was looking at these on gunbroker. Says it comes with everything other than the stripped lower. What I don't know is if the kits are crap or if they are decent. Also, from what Moog said you have to make sure the stripped lower will work with the kit. It sounds like they aren't all the same like the AR15 which I wasn't aware off....

Its the hole spacing on the lower and upper that will not match up. Check out bkingsfirearms.com ive bought from them and have been very happy with price and speed of shipping. Not sure what his inventory looks like but i know he usually has matched sets.

• Like 1