When did it become normal not to keep supplies at home ?

Nomad

Growing up my parents and grandparents ( who lived nextdoor ) each had a room in the basement ,they called the fruit cellar , nothing but shelves of food . We had a garden in the lot we owned next to the house , the lot was 150 x 70 and the garden was 90% of that, corn, tomato’s , strawberries, carrots, beans ,lettuce and so on .  We had apple, pear and a cherry trees  too . Mom canned and froze fruit and vegetables that lasted through the winter , she also bought food on sale in mass quantities and rotated the stock , Dad put an occasional deer into the large chest freezer . Yes they each also worked full time jobs .  

Many of my friends basements looked similar, no garden ? They bought from farm stands to can . 

Today, If one  has a fair amount of food in the basement  folks snicker and make prepper comments , you know the same ones going from store to store trying to find what they eat .

• Like 4

We go to Sam's probably 3-4 times a yr.  Stock up on paper goods, and some easy to store supplies.  

Freezer is full.  Go to restaurant Depot and get chicken and other meats. Vac seal and in the deep freeze. I deer or turkey or two top off the freezer. 

Usually only go to the store for perishable goods on a regular basis.  

• Like 3

No one has time to grow gardens and can fruits and veggies.   That was before households moved to and required two incomes to keep up the standard of living.  We have food around but I am not a prepper.  The speed of life has changed and arguably not for the better.   Obviously there are exceptions but this is not the age of our grandparents 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Wife went to Costco today and was pissed - they limited her milk to ONE!! We have been buying 6 gallons A WEEK for years. Six is NORMAL for us - not hoarding!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What the heck do you do with 6 gallons of milk

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Wife went to Costco today and was pissed - they limited her milk to ONE!! We have been buying 6 gallons A WEEK for years. Six is NORMAL for us - not hoarding!

At that point its got to be cheaper to buy a cow.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

My family is set on some things. Meat and canned goods, rice, etc. I managed get a case of TP on Amazon before it was too late. This things I look for are things like milk, coffee, and the produce. I keep a little hobby garden in the yard, but that only produces in late summer. 

What the heck do you do with 6 gallons of milk

I $hit you not and I don’t drink milk especially while on Paleo. Mama Crappy drink a ton of tea with milk but the boys slam it like it’s their job. No soda, juice or other drinks but water (from the TAP God forbid!) and seltzer.

Check out the egg stash(6 just about every day)
6bb779e5c2ac1279cebdf343eb028f94.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, crappyice said:

I $hit you not and I don’t drink milk especially while on Paleo. Mama Crappy drink a ton of tea with milk but the boys slam it like it’s their job. No soda, juice or other drinks but water (from the TAP God forbid!) and seltzer.

6bb779e5c2ac1279cebdf343eb028f94.jpg

When our 2 boys were home we would kill 6 gallons of milk in a week easily . No soda juice etc. in our house also . 

• Like 1

6bb779e5c2ac1279cebdf343eb028f94.jpg&key=407248fd9624427d02648c3b613a6680317c612b72bbd341e4520bb4d203d208

I am actually very similar with beverages I only drink water from the tap... no soda or any of that crap

• Like 1

Speaking for myself it is still normal for me to stock up essential items in case of some unforeseen mess. Around my neck of the woods it is usually something weather related, heavy snow or ice storms, severe wind-thunder storms and the power outages that can go along with them sometimes for days. Preparedness for food, heat, electricity, water, etc. are a must not only for me and the wife but also for the livestock here on the farm.  Not only do they cover weather related problems I have run into but these same things will suffice for crap like this Corona baloney if things get out of hand. I loosely follow the basic Mormon way of being ready for various emergencies as listed below and also like I have mentioned several times on this board I am a big believer in the Boy Scout motto of being prepared and I mean prepared for any and everything, it goes a long way to having some peace of mind.

Drinking water

Financial reserves

Important documents stored safely

Longer-term supply of basic food items

Medication and first aid supplies

Three-month supply of food that is part of your normal diet

Ways to communicate with family following a disaster

Having some first aid training

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, moog5050 said:

No one has time to grow gardens and can fruits and veggies.   That was before households moved to and required two incomes to keep up the standard of living.  We have food around but I am not a prepper.  The speed of life has changed and arguably not for the better.   Obviously there are exceptions but this is not the age of our grandparents 

Correct ! We can run to,Costco and stock up for a month in an hour !

Also each of my parents worked full time on their feet all day I might add , Dad used his  vacation time  to plant ,  us kids were the harvesters . Can’t plant and can  ?  to busy with yoga class ,FB posts , and the Bachelor after work ?  So as my Granddad would say “ for the love of Christ “ , build some shelves and GO to BJs .

As we said when making dinner at the firehouse, “ I’d rather be looking at it , then looking for it !” 

Buy it cheap and stack it deep ! 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Paul Anderson must be living with Crappy.   He drank like 6 gallons a day.  For those not in the know:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Anderson_(actor)

Lucky Bastard !!!...Oh...Wait a minute.... I thought you said PAMELA Anderson was living with Crappy...Sorry..My mistake...

I was just wondering what Crappy and Pammy did with all that milk...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JJBat150 said:

The real question How many people will learn from this and have more supplies on hand - not to the "prepper" level, but at least enough to hold out a few weeks ?

Idk, I think times have changed and have been relatively uneventful or at least nothing has caused a long term impact to disrupt life. Overall, COVID-19 could be a short term impact and be old news by the fall. Even in my life time, being born in the late 70’s has there been any long term events that could condition a generation, doubly so from us generation X’ers or Millennials?

The only reason I think my home is as prepped as we are for the short term, would be to look at it from a hobby approach i.e things that have been important to me. I’ve always needed to be busy, year round...preferably outdoors. Small motors have alway fascinated me...air, fuel & fire. I’m cheap and like to stretch my money. I could do a deep dive on buying used, but I’ll save everyone the anguish. I have TREMENDOUS respect for tools,  knowing how to use them and maintain them. Keeping some extra canned good and non-perishables around just makes sense. My grandmother used to can...everything. I’ve done a bit of canning myself, but could expand easily. Having a fireplace or even better have a wood stove, as we do now. I take care of my neighbors. I don’t wear earbuds solely to avoid conversation. I feel like I could go on and on. I’m 42 years old now, everything I’ve mentioned above has been part of my life time investment. I’m still learnings. My next generation will be my only legacy. If the COVID-19 is your day one, then the lesson starts today. 

Honestly, when things started getting nutsie, I picked up an extra 50 lbs of dog food, 2 extra lbs coffee and 5 extra gallons of gas. I’m sure there’s other odds and ends. I didn’t run out and fill my fridge/freezer with perishable food goods, didn’t buy any OTC medicines, didn’t buy the last box of ammo at Walmart, didn’t panic, didn’t t clear a shelf. I had the choice to stop and think, do we need this or does someone need it more?  However, I’ve alway thought observing other fulfill these needs was a good temperature check.

Edited by Liquidonyx
  • Like 3