Affected Business.......

Lawdwaz

We're actually in a pretty good place right now.  Wife is a stay-at -home mom so child care isn't an issue and if you want dairy products I have to keep working so my paycheck is pretty steady.  Thanks to Dave Ramsey we are debt free except the house and while I don't have my 3-6 month emergency fund fully funded I am on the way there.  So we are on better footing than if this had happened in the last 3-5 years.

**Bosses just started handing out memos on company letterhead stating that the holder is employed in a "Critical Industry" in case of travel bans.

Edited by covert
Update
  • Like 1

I'm done.......we have one job to install in a church (11 windows) on Monday and they'll do it short one man, me.  My boss will help the two installers if/when needed during the install. 

I've either been employed or self employed for the last 42 years; never been not working other than when I sold my business and chose to hunt and relax for about 4 months.

Not sure at all what the future holds.  Uneasy feeling is an understatement.......

• Sad 4

Shut us down 1 week with pay(very grateful for the 1 week pay). I guess we will see what happens after that.  I talked to my sister who works for the outdoor group(elite parent company)  i guess theyve layed off 75% of work force and people still on had to take a huge pay cut.   Seeing how they are non essential workers they are done until its cuomo lifts everything.

I work in a glass factory  in trades... we are not exempt  by definition.  Management is applying  for a waiver.  We just started a new tank up 3 weeks ago . It will damage a tank to drain it and shut down . Normal run is 3.5 years . Not sure of current  costs but what I last heard was 15million per tank . We could lose 2.  It takes 3to 5 days to drain a tank.

That's a cost most businesses  cant come back from .

Hope the waiver  come through... at least let us run a skeleton  crew and idle the tanks .

2 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

I'm done.......we have one job to install in a church (11 windows) on Monday and they'll do it short one man, me.  My boss will help the two installers if/when needed during the install. 

I've either been employed or self employed for the last 42 years; never been not working other than when I sold my business and chose to hunt and relax for about 4 months.

Not sure at all what the future holds.  Uneasy feeling is an understatement.......

Hang in there Larry is all we can do and when it comes back (hopefully soon) it’ll be strong 2021 

• Like 2

The boss told us that we’re working Monday. He said that we are essential. We essentially need to get this marina finished by Memorial Day so that the boats can get in here. I’m very thankful. Especially because it’s a prevailing wage job and it would mean a really big loss in the wallet!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Our owner the beginning of week talked big but as of tomorrow all locations will be shut down. As a dealership they are gonna keep 1 parts guy on and a couple of the lower wage techs, the rest of us, unemployment till first of April then see.

My thoughts are we stayed open and exposed ourselves already so someone could get a recall on a radio done or an oil change. 

Seems simple to me, if we as Americans could listen to people who are studying this virus and follow their recommendations we could get through it quicker and rebound economically faster. The work will build up while away.

7 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

Damn, sorry to hear Larry.

4 hours ago, doebuck1234 said:

Just got the email.noone to come to work next week.more details to come from owner.just hoping we have a job to go back to as we've been slow for the last 6 months and no way of working from home to bring the $ in

Hearing so much of this.  Sorry to hear.  All this is hurting every part of our way of life. 

37 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Hearing so much of this.  Sorry to hear.  All this is hurting every part of our way of life. 

Agree'd.gotta do what gotta do!all can do is hope for the best.have got myself in a pretty good spot in the machining industry so hopefully ill have no probs if they do flop

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Nys DMV has waived all registration and license renewals.  Haven't seen anything on inspections. But can't inspect if not registered. 

Found that one out this morning. I was checking because my license expires at the end of the month and hoped I could sneak in next week.

I cannot imagine what the back log is going to be like when things get going again:dontknow:

1 minute ago, Steve D said:

Found that one out this morning. I was checking because my license expires at the end of the month and hoped I could sneak in next week.

I cannot imagine what the back log is going to be like when things get going again:dontknow:

Top that off with all who need new licenses before 2021 if they want to use it as a valid form of ID for plane travel.   I am due this year too.  

10 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

op that off with all who need new licenses before 2021 if they want to use it as a valid form of ID for plane travel.   I am due this year too.  

So True....I think we will be recovering from this in one form or another for a long, long time if we even even get that far.

Just think of the revenue the state is losing on a daily basis and raising taxes isn't going to be the solution this time.

1 hour ago, Steve D said:

Yeah for sure. It's not like the lines at DMV are ever long.  Lol

I actually considered buying a new truck, but gonna put that on hold for sure 

We are still working waiting for exemption.  Less than half staffed. I'm just happy to be working . We are really  observing distancing  and cleaning. Major rationing  of ppe. Bosses taking things very  seriously. Walking around and warning people about herding up. Teams walking around disinfecting surfaces. People are really on edge .