200 hundred yards

this is true wny ,i definately agree with you,un fortunately im in shot gun only and probably will nevre change which i dont under stand because they allow muzzleloaders which can shoot acuratetly over 200 yards.but anyway i have had deer about 150 to 200 yards and big buck that i had to watch leve,maybe if i had one or these or those other nice bolt action guns i would have had a few more deer in the freezer

Don't believe everything a manufacturer presents on one of their products.  It may have taken Ithaca a year to find the perfect ammo & firearm combination to achieve that group, they may have only achieved it once and the gun was probably locked in a motionless vise.

Even the most expensive top quality slug gun, the Tar-Hunt, doesn't claim better than 6" groups at 200 yards and they do tell you all the things they had to do to get it to do that.  It just shows what the gun is capable of in a controlled environment with the right ammo.  No one should expect it to do that in the hunting field in the hands of the average shooter.

i dont think it would take a year they can probably do it is less than a week,there is that much slug ammo out there at least real  good slugs,i would like to try those hornady rounds out ,they do also have tose shooting sticks and chances are if you see something 200 yards away you should have plenty time to get set

Don't believe everything a manufacturer presents on one of their products.  It may have taken Ithaca a year to find the perfect ammo & firearm combination to achieve that group, they may have only achieved it once and the gun was probably locked in a motionless vise.

Even the most expensive top quality slug gun, the Tar-Hunt, doesn't claim better than 6" groups at 200 yards and they do tell you all the things they had to do to get it to do that.  It just shows what the gun is capable of in a controlled environment with the right ammo.  No one should expect it to do that in the hunting field in the hands of the average shooter.

You can see a video of them shooting it at 200 yards with different slugs on separate targets. They used a lead sled, but the gun was not locked into position, and the guy shot prone position on a concrete slab. While Im skeptical on alot of things, the video seemed pretty straight forward.

One thing to remember about shot gun slugs is the effect of wind on the projectile, much more than with a rifle.

Depending on the slug, a breeze can move a slug quite a bit off course at 200 yards...

And from my observations at the range, at 100 yards, I see very few "great" groups with even rifled slug guns. People claim to get 1-2 inch groups all the time. Just never really see it at the range.

this is the 3rd thread ive seen from you regarding shooting out to 200 yards or using the Ithaca deer slayer. why such a concern to shoot out to 200 yards? concentrate on getting yourself closer to the deer if its such a concern no? ive seen a few shot guns shoot to 200 yards using different ammo. does it work for everyone? probobly not... not so much the gun but the shooter i say. gun comes into play as well dont get me wrong but i dont see all the hype to shoot the shot gun out to 200, i dont... gun season is a nice way to extend your season and or reach out a bit further but how far you wanna go?

not trying to be rude in any way either... i just dont get the hype on the 200 yard capable shot gun. even if i can hit decent at 200 yards at the range, i might not trust myself to shoot at a decnt buck at that distance from a tree stand. the risk of wounding a nice buck isnt worth the chance in my eyes. i like to get close to the deer and id concentrate on that, 100yards is a good shot with the gun. 200 is a awhole nother animal...

get a black powder gun if it concerns you that much.

this is the 3rd thread ive seen from you regarding shooting out to 200 yards or using the Ithaca deer slayer. why such a concern to shoot out to 200 yards? concentrate on getting yourself closer to the deer if its such a concern no? ive seen a few shot guns shoot to 200 yards using different ammo. does it work for everyone? probobly not... not so much the gun but the shooter i say. gun comes into play as well dont get me wrong but i dont see all the hype to shoot the shot gun out to 200, i dont... gun season is a nice way to extend your season and or reach out a bit further but how far you wanna go?

not trying to be rude in any way either... i just dont get the hype on the 200 yard capable shot gun. even if i can hit decent at 200 yards at the range, i might not trust myself to shoot at a decnt buck at that distance from a tree stand. the risk of wounding a nice buck isnt worth the chance in my eyes. i like to get close to the deer and id concentrate on that, 100yards is a good shot with the gun. 200 is a awhole nother animal...

get a black powder gun if it concerns you that much.

there is no big hype shooting  to 200 yards just pretty nice to shoot i shotgun acurately at this yardage.it is up to the person if you dont have confidece with yourself and your gun you shouldnt shoot long range.i know a few pepole that shoot their bows very accurate out to 100 yards maybe they shouldnt shoot that far either because some people cant shoot this far themselves.how wuld you like to loose a trophy with your bow because your affraid to shhot 50 yards .and there is no concern have the muzzeloader too.

200 yds with either a shotgun or mz is certainley possible with some guns and loads. However those willing and able to spend time to do so at the range are few. Those mastering it enough that it is something one should do under field conditions are far fewer yet.

Its not fear that would keep me from shooting 50 yds with a bow - no trophy is worth taking a low percentage shot.

200 yds with either a shotgun or mz is certainley possible with some guns and loads. However those willing and able to spend time to do so at the range are few. Those mastering it enough that it is something one should do under field conditions are far fewer yet.

Its not fear that would keep me from shooting 50 yds with a bow - no trophy is worth taking a low percentage shot.

yes this is what i was trying to convey... I have certainly heard of guys shooting 200yards, however you never hear of one who do it consistently and i certainly havnt heard of ones who have killed a deer with a shot gun at that distance... i have complete faith in the bullets i let fly and the arrows i sling and i can shoot my bow accurate 50 yards great. However i question myself in the fact not that i dont have faith i can make the shot, but should human error come in to play DO I REALLY WANT TO CHANCE this caliber buck standing at 200 yards with the shot gun or 50-60 yards with the bow?? alot of variables would come into play and not that im doubting myself i just:

1 - want to make a clean shot and properly be able to place a good shot

2 - dont want to chance hitting this animal and not making the recover.

100 yards with the bow is A LOT. lets face it.... but if you could / would you??  i wouldnt chance a 100 yard shot with the bow. maybe if i was in a open field and the buck was as calm as can be and just feeding maybe id take that 50-60 yard shot. But in the hardwoods, with a buck working his way through and i have to stop him, i will deff not even try...

but i agree with you Steve, its a low percentage shot and its not one im willing to take either, i mean we all have bit a buck or 2 and questioned our shot right out of the gate and ill tell you it makes you sick knowing you will exhaust every avenue to retrieve that animal and you just wont find it. its happened to us all.

there is no big hype shooting  to 200 yards just pretty nice to shoot i shotgun acurately at this yardage.it is up to the person if you dont have confidece with yourself and your gun you shouldnt shoot long range.i know a few pepole that shoot their bows very accurate out to 100 yards maybe they shouldnt shoot that far either because some people cant shoot this far themselves.how wuld you like to loose a trophy with your bow because your affraid to shhot 50 yards .and there is no concern have the muzzeloader too.

i shoot consistent at long range shots with the bow, its what builds up my confidence... i would not feel half as bad as letting a trophy walk because i am not feeling that particular 50 yard shot then to let my arrow fly and wound that "trophy". The margin for error is greater at that distance and as a bow hunter im sure you already know that. i am also sure you have wounded a deer at closer ranges with the bow and never made the recover. Sometimes its not always about the harvest but about the time, place and people you share it with. Maybe you would take the shot and it would benefit you. But  iwould have to be in that instance to make a 100% decision, has nothing to do with me not feeling confident but if we are considering a "trophy" at 50, its something i would have to weigh out. Im not all about taking low percentage shots because i know what i can do to a 3d target in an open field at 50. place a live trophy buck in front of you at 50 when its cold and you have your gear on and its entirely different...

its a low percentage shot and its not one im willing to take either

I agree with this. For every story told of a 200 yard shot made, I'll wager there are a half-dozen or more untold stories of 200 yard misses.

A poke across a pasture or open field at 200 yards from a seasoned shooter with a steady rest and a good gun with a high-magnification scope is not an undoable feat; but get into the thick woods and you can't see a clear path for 200 yards in most places.

One of the things I haven't seen mentioned is if you sight you shotgun in for 200 yards if it is capable of that distance and a deer comes out at 25 yards are you going to remember to compensate. There is to much bullet drop for me. I'm with the guy who said try to get closer. Or go with a muzzleloader or Thompson Center Contender. The shotgun maybe capable but shooter is not going to be able to make this shot on a regular basis. Weather conditions and other factors are going to make this a low percentage shot.

I haven't carrie dmine in over two years because of my muzzle loader....but I had it on a range....vised and bagged with a seringe plunger for the trigger. zeroed at 125 yards...was a couple inches high at 50 and I am going from memory ....9-10 inches low at 200. the groups were 7-8 inch at 200. It can be done....but even with the human factor involved...better be on your A game

You wouldnt sight the gun in for 200 yards, you would use a Mildot scope or one with the BDC reticle or some other type that gives you points of reference in order to hold high on the target. Its not that complicated really.

yeah you would need a BDC scope...

im so glad everyone takes everything to the extreme i just started this tread because its a preety cool gun and pretty awsome for it to be accurate at this yardage.i am an ethical hunter no one said anyone is looking to take these shots regulary but if you have to you can and it isnt realy hard if you have to like wny states at least one person sees where im coming from.and again no one said i was shooting trphy bucks from this range i said trophy andything i shhot is my tropyy buck,doe coyote etc,and for me to try yhis shot everything would have to be as perfect as i could see.there can be human error in everysho like geno says,then maybe you shouldnt chance any shot you never can 100% know what will happen.may be some one should tell these guys on the hunting show that they shouldnt be taking shot at 200 plus yards.i know now we can say dont believe everything you see.so i think i got i now for a bow only shhot to about 40 yards,a shot gun 100 yards tops and a rifle or muzzle loader infinate yardage.just going by  what all the critics say.and wow thoses guys that use rifles know how to adjust for longer shots.i guess you cant have a good scope on a shot gun.all this for just saying that a gun was nice.and we better warn the sharp shooters in the armed forces about all this

thaks wny for understanding wasnt trying to argue with anyone but seems like you get it

hey i hear ya totally man... i dont think anyone was trying to insinuate anything but you gotta love threads where we can all chime in. a topic arose and its left open for discussion, again the good and the bad... i work with an older gentleman who brought this up to me last year about shooting out to 200 yards with a shot gun and i loughed at him because from what i heard it was out of the norm... when i asked him he said he shot accurate at 200 yards by holding almost dead of center with open sites. i loughed becasue if you hit accurate at 50 - 100 yards and thats where your dialed in at then natural law of physics would beg to differ with the notion of holding dead center on at 200. i looked into it last year and really was suprised at the fact that these new loads on the market are nothing like they were years ago, that would enable a hunter to shoot that distance with a shotgun.

i simply stated its just NOT something i would do personally. It has nothing to do with you or your outlook on this gun of choice. maybe i jumped the gun alittle bit on how i thought you would jump to taking a shot at that distance simply becasue a gun company advertised a distance margin like that. and i dont want you to think anyone was knocking you, otherwise you would be totally off base...

If i didnt know any better and if i were to take a  guess tho, you are Rob? and the older gentleman i was reffering to from work would be your dad? He would fight tooth and nail on the 200 yard topic.  ;)

If so im glad you made your way over to the site, there doesnt seem to be much BS being slung on this site and for the most part seems like a good group of guys on here, after you weed the few trying to dig for peoples hunting spots...