blackbeltbill

MAY 1ST-- TOO LATE TO OPEN IN NEW YORK...

OK, I have run similar Threads on this subject in past years.  I personally think that the ( last Saturday) in April should be the new opening date for New York. That would be April 25th in this year.  Now, I hunt in New Jersey as well as some here are aware of. I start this year on April 20th.                                                        Now it becomes very obvious when you look at the US MAP- When you type in--- NWTF- OPENING SPRING DATES FOR 2020-- that there are a number of States that are much further North then New York that open their Their Spring Turkey Seasons much earlier then New York does. In some Northern States-- up to 2 WEEKS EARLIER THEN NEW YORK!                 Very obviously the Wildlife Biologists in each of these Northern States have their own Thoughts about when their States should open their Spring Turkey Season. I personally think that New Jersey has a more proper timing of the start of their Spring Turkey Season then NY does.                                                   Here is a list of Northern States and their opening dates for 2020.                Michigan-- April 18th--- Minnesota--April 15th!---,North Dakota-- April 11th,---South Dakota--April 13th,---Wisconsin-- April 15th!,---Oregon-- April 15th,---Washington- April 15th.                                                              Even Conneticutt-- April 29th + Massachusetts- April 27th start earlier then New York.  I have listed 10 States with NJ added in here. The Wildlife Biologists in these Northern States with their Knowledge + Training have carefully set their States opening Spring Turkey Dates. They differ significantly from NYs May 1st.                                                                      At the very least- NY should form their Spring Turkey Season much like the ( Fall Turkey Map). The northern most area in Yellow would be May 1st and the rest of the State should open the last Saturday in April.                                                 OK, I know most replys coming will disagree with me and that's fine. I also know that many Struggling Spring Turkey Hunters that will come up empty this May as in ( eating both Spring Turkey Tags)!-- would have a greater possibility of Bagging a Gobbler if only the Season opened the last Saturday in April.   I probably won't reply to the casade of replys to come. Luck this Spring..- Bill.

We’ve had discussions on this before Bill. Turkeys are dumb, I like to give them every advantage possible.

I would rather it be may 15-31st. We don’t need a month long season. Hunting tends to be much better later in the month anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

well i dont hear as many gobbles later in the month but if you put some miles on your boots you get one fired up after 9am hes coming hard. the first part of may i hear alot but henned up and wont come in , not in favor of an earlier season

• Like 1

Simple its may 1st so breeding is done, that's it .. its suppose to be hunting , management of a resource not a kill.. they should never move it and perhaps should even go back to split season of 1 before may 15 and one after...

just like everyone wants big bucks if you want them.close season during breeding.. deer are the only animal we hunt during prime breeding in ny.. 

• Like 4

I've hunted almost everyday of my life.. the rest have been wasted!

Second your list of early season are also in states with very few turkey hunters.. stares that also only sell spring tags. They know how many hunters they have ,have mandatory checks. Nys has no idea other than license sold.its hauge problem as they cut fall season thinking there are 250k fall turkey hunters cause that's how many tags are sold.. until you can provide detailed numbers of spring and fall hunters moving any season lengthening or cutting is a simple stab in the dark...

• Like 2

The May 1st opening is to give time for breeding. To boost the population .. Simple as that. No reason to open it earlier.  Most nests get raided in my part and if wer elucky only a couple hens end up with a hatch and only have of them ever make it anyways.. Predators galore in my parts.. Give them every chance they get to reproduce before we eliminate half the population across 31 days.. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, G-Man said:

Second your list of early season are also in states with very few turkey hunters.. stares that also only sell spring tags. They know how many hunters they have ,have mandatory checks. Nys has no idea other than license sold.its hauge problem as they cut fall season thinking there are 250k fall turkey hunters cause that's how many tags are sold.. until you can provide detailed numbers of spring and fall hunters moving any season lengthening or cutting is a simple stab in the dark...

Greg-- you don't reflect enough before writing... I had to call you out in the past when you misidentified a (Hillside) growing Pignut Hickory Tree -- thinking that Tree to be a Bitternut Hickory Tree... This year round Hiker goes out with a Tree Book.                                                               Obviously the 2 Larger then NY States- Michigan + Wisconsin have as many Hunters as New York State.  Your last few sentences above make no sense.  If you read more slowly what , I wrote you would learn that , I was writing about the different Views and Thoughts of Wildlife Biologists in the Northern States that, I listed. And how by their Knowledge + Training- they set their States Spring Turkey Season.                        I did write also that ( most) replys coming will disagree with me. Perhaps all of them and that's fine. I only have time to Quote and reply to 1 member here on this particular Thread. 

With this health emergency we are in I won't be doing many of the things j normally do in May. BBQS, going out to eat, ballgames etc. So it's going to be Turkey hunting big-time this season. Help get my mind off of things too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PMoney said:

Everything I read Gman  seems like a ahole

3 posts in and your calling other members names? This is your ONLY warning. Follow the rules or your time here will be short.

• Like 5

Down here on the island, I would love ANY opening date in the spring. May 1 would be fine with me. We only get 2 weeks in fall, not sure how that compares to upstate. Really doesn't matter, I don't know enough to actually "take" a turkey. Hunt them sure - actually take one...not so much. One thing I can add, I hear them gobbling EVERY morning lately when I take the dogs out.  

• Like 1

I fully support PETA!!

People Eating Tasty Animals

1 hour ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Cousin just sent this from Idaho 1e54abab535e1dbf834ea51d65d16e59.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Merriam's!!  Beautiful Big ol Birds.

1 hour ago, Gobbler Chaser said:

With this health emergency we are in I won't be doing many of the things j normally do in May. BBQS, going out to eat, ballgames etc. So it's going to be Turkey hunting big-time this season. Help get my mind off of things too.

I start in New Jersey on April 20th. Hopefully my 2004 Jetta will be ready. Timing Belt broke while in idle. So perhaps no Piston damage.  Hope not as, I am poor.

45 minutes ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

Down here on the island, I would love ANY opening date in the spring. May 1 would be fine with me. We only get 2 weeks in fall, not sure how that compares to upstate. Really doesn't matter, I don't know enough to actually "take" a turkey. Hunt them sure - actually take one...not so much. One thing I can add, I hear them gobbling EVERY morning lately when I take the dogs out.  

You have nothing to lose by writing the DEC in charge of area 1C on Long Island. Things could change in a year or 2 if you push for a Spring Season there.

• Thanks 1

I have no issue with a may 1st opening. Its still a great time for turkey hunting (especiall the first couple weeks) and it gives time for more birds to be bred in the preseason. In most areas of the state, turkey numbers are on the decline so its something thats badly needed. Also gives time for people to go hunt other states and then come back for the season back here. We have to  be stewards of the land, not take advantage of it

29 minutes ago, maytom said:

A week earlier opener would be fine with me as well.

It's time for an earlier start date.       The DEC ( Still) has not posted their Findings on the result of the ( altered) Fall Turkey Season that was reset in Fall of ( 2015)!!  That was the year that the Fall Season was Slashed from 6 weeks to 2 Weeks and the bag limit from 2 Turkeys to just 1 Turkey.                                                       That was a Full 5 1/2 years ago now.The Turkey Population should be Increasing substantially after 5 1/2 years!!                                                                     Getting back to the Wildlife Biologists in these States that , I listed-- it is plain to see that they are all in line with each other as far as their Thoughts as when they should set their States Spring Turkey Opener. 

north Dakota- residents only, lottery system. not all units open. 2020 tags available 6,230 +3  for nwtf raffle

michigan- early season start dates are ONLY for the limited quota tags.  The ACTUAL statewide season starts May 1st

minnesotta- People who entered the lottery for a permit in one of the high-demand areas – Carlos Avery, Mille Lacs and Whitewater wildlife management areas – can check the lottery results. Any hunter with a valid license may hunt in these areas after the C time period.    the early start date is for lottery winners only.  the regular season for all permit holders is

05/06/20 - 05/12/20 Spring wild turkey - D season Statewide
  05/13/20 - 05/19/20 Spring wild turkey - E season Statewide
  05/20/20 - 05/31/20 Spring wild turkey - F season Statewide

wisconsin-  another state with a lottery and limited zones and tags 

south dakota- another application process to get a license, also most of SD is a different subspecies as well as climate, habitat, and hunter numbers.

oregon & washington,  not even relevant different species, different climate.

as far as ma, ct  goes  your looking at a couple days earlier and both end prior to may 31. 

how about Pa starting AFTER NY this year  5/2 till 5/31 with no sunday hunting

I will leave the turkey season limits, start dates, season lengths to the biologist's that have a far better understanding of populations, nesting success, winter survival, anticipated harvest levels and expected carryover to ensure that we have a sustainable and suitable population of wild turkeys.  

There is far more to properly managing wild turkey than making sure all hunters get a participation trophy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Bill your early opening dates in different states are limited areas, very short seasons, lottery, not like nys at all. They know how many hunters they have nys has non clue except licence sales. A few examples from their hunting regulations you can look them up yourself.Screenshot_20200322-090548_Drive.thumb.jpg.42cf17c02c547c7e10f89c38e0b2bcac.jpgScreenshot_20200322-090202_Drive.thumb.jpg.68ecec564ff84e2710bb5ad55ce20b9a.jpgScreenshot_20200322-090323_Chrome.thumb.jpg.194dcd4dc6e76315026a7285824ebdbd.jpgagain the may 1st opening is to allow maximum breeding to have occurred before hunting is allowed , it is not to make it harder o nb the hunter it is sound management.  Regardless of hearing birds go nuts for all of april the biologists have it right in nys.

4 minutes ago, reeltime said:

north Dakota- residents only, lottery system. not all units open. 2020 tags available 6,230 +3  for nwtf raffle

michigan- early season start dates are ONLY for the limited quota tags.  The ACTUAL statewide season starts May 1st

minnesotta- People who entered the lottery for a permit in one of the high-demand areas – Carlos Avery, Mille Lacs and Whitewater wildlife management areas – can check the lottery results. Any hunter with a valid license may hunt in these areas after the C time period.    the early start date is for lottery winners only.  the regular season for all permit holders is

south dakota- another application process to get a license, also most of SD is a different subspecies as well as climate, habitat, and hunter numbers.

as far as ma, ct  goes  your looking at a couple days earlier and both end prior to may 31. 

I will leave the turkey season limits, start dates, season lengths to the biologist's that have a far better understanding of populations, nesting success, winter survival, anticipated harvest levels and expected carryover to ensure that we have a sustainable and suitable population of wild turkeys.  

There is far more to properly managing wild turkey than making sure all hunters get a participation trophy.

I was just writing up same thing...smh

1 hour ago, blackbeltbill said:

It's time for an earlier start date.       The DEC ( Still) has not posted their Findings on the result of the ( altered) Fall Turkey Season that was reset in Fall of ( 2015)!!  That was the year that the Fall Season was Slashed from 6 weeks to 2 Weeks and the bag limit from 2 Turkeys to just 1 Turkey.                                                       That was a Full 5 1/2 years ago now.The Turkey Population should be Increasing substantially after 5 1/2 years!!                                                                     Getting back to the Wildlife Biologists in these States that , I listed-- it is plain to see that they are all in line with each other as far as their Thoughts as when they should set their States Spring Turkey Opener. 

The problem is the population is NOT and has NOT "substantially increased, has it increased  yes in areas, but far from 2004 levels.  even with the season and bag limits cut back that is only a small part of management, the most important part of wild turkey population increase is something no one can control and that is the weather.  we have have many bad nesting seasons over the past 10 years with a decent one here and there,  you can not recover from a drastic population fall over night and you dang sure cant do so when you have an extended season in the fall where hunters can shoot hens.  Remember this old saying.  Dead HENS don't lay eggs !  

again there is FAR more to statewide turkey management that 1 little piece of state land observation.  heck with the cut backs and lack of success and hunters in the fall y'all should be tripping all over birds in stewart.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, reeltime said:

That is what my Thread is about.. The Differing Views and Thoughts of Wildlife Biologists Set their Seasons dates. Your last 2 paragraphs coinside into what, I am bringing across. I did also write that not many would agree with me-- and that's Fine.