Got my first deer with a bow

Caveman

Went out this morning to East Otto State Forest. Jumped about 4 on the way to my stand and figured my day was over in that spot. Settled in around 630 and watched the sun come up. After an hour and a half false alarms hearing the squirrels jump around I heard footsteps coming through the trees behind me, looked over my shoulder and saw what I thought was a 4 pt walking by at what I thought was 30 yards. I nocked an arrow, drew back, and let it fly right over his back. He jumped up and ran about 20 yards but stopped when I blew the grunt. He wandered back into range on my second grunt. This time I settled the 20 yard pin behind his shoulder and let another fly. I heard the "thwack" I've only heard on tv and knew I hit something. I climbed down to find bright red blood on the leaves, thinking it was a good lung hit I sat for a half hour and took up the trail. It was heavy and tracking was easy until 40 yards along I found my arrow covered in chunks of green stuff and I knew I had a gut shot on my hands. I backed off, packed up my climber, and took it to the car and grabbed a coffee at the gas station to pass the time. I moved back in and took up the trail again. It was thick and bright, I figured the tracking would be easy but before I knew it I was on my hands and knees finding one or two drops every 15 yds. Right at the road the trail went completely cold. I checked by the two ponds in the thickets, I was starting to feel sick thinking I'd lose the deer. On my way out i decided to walk through a field of tall grass I had found and there he was, bedded down too weak to get up. I put one more in him and I felt so bad at hearing him gurgle that I put one more in him and he died. This was my second deer ever, my first with a bow, and my first with antlers. They may be small but he's a trophy to me. I'm going to do a European mount in honor of my first buck.

post-45-0-21513700-1318969547.jpg

• Like 1

Nice Buck. My first and biggest buck had about the same rack. What kinda broadhead were you using.The reason i ask I shot a doe saturday morning that was quartering too me i hit a lung and liver she went about 600 yards. I had good blood to follow the whole way. I am a true believer in Rage 2 Blades now, and would highly recomend