Keeping busy

A friend asked me to make a table for his wife so I  threw this together.  Shee wanted it a specific height and size. Now the dilemma as most everything I build is a donation, I  have no idea how much I should charge? There's probably $100 in wood, and over 10 hours in labor.

20200319_112505.jpg

20200312_145939.jpg

• Like 11

38 minutes ago, biggamefish said:

I love wood working. The dice are a really cool idea. Here's some thing I have been working on! Started like the first photo and finally turned the bottom off this weekend.

20200217_150819.jpg

20200322_152346.jpg

I've never done any wood turning. I wouldn't mind trying it but right now there isn't any room in my shop for a lathe.  Looks like a cool bowl! I assume it's going to be a bowl?

2 hours ago, 2012_taco said:

Still keeping busy. Can you guess what I'm  making now? I used a piece of black walnut that I had from the table top I  helped Tacks make to use. 

It's going to be a backyard Yatzee game! I'll paint the dots white, should look cool!

20200323_130431.jpg

My wife is a Yatzee nut.  She would love those.  

Great idea:drinks:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 2012_taco said:

I've never done any wood turning. I wouldn't mind trying it but right now there isn't any room in my shop for a lathe.  Looks like a cool bowl! I assume it's going to be a bowl?

Check out Western NY Woodturners if you want to get a taste (My dad has been a member for a long time).

Helpful group....

https://www.wnywoodturners.com/

• Like 1

5 hours ago, biggamefish said:

I love wood working. The dice are a really cool idea. Here's some thing I have been working on! Started like the first photo and finally turned the bottom off this weekend.

20200217_150819.jpg

20200322_152346.jpg

I loved the lathe in shop class.  It’s cool to shape something.  

12 minutes ago, Paula said:

I was just pricing wood lathes yesterday, I watch videos on YouTube all the time. Wood  :derisive: love to learn how to do it

Little Jet variable speed, a Nova chuck and a handful of tools.

I think I turned first things at around 7 or 8 years old. Fun hobby and wood to turn is cheap and everywhere.

Look how to "microwave dry wood bowls"

• Like 2

20200217_150819.thumb.jpg.205242565120d2cb566e66db6dd28d95.jpg
20200322_152346.thumb.jpg.fd1263eb7e5bd69db8ae5bc570e0909f.jpg

Sweet project...the real question is, “How did the cardboard challenge turn out!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, 2012_taco said:

Still keeping busy. Can you guess what I'm  making now? I used a piece of black walnut that I had from the table top I  helped Tacks make to use. 

It's going to be a backyard Yatzee game! I'll paint the dots white, should look cool!

20200323_130431.jpg

I like this a lot.  I love wood decor, and my grandma(mom’s mom), and i used to play Yatzee every Sunday.  Boy this reminds me of her, and how I’d like to play just one more game with her, with these.

• Like 2

On 3/19/2020 at 11:31 AM, 2012_taco said:

A friend asked me to make a table for his wife so I  threw this together.  Shee wanted it a specific height and size. Now the dilemma as most everything I build is a donation, I  have no idea how much I should charge? There's probably $100 in wood, and over 10 hours in labor.

20200319_112505.jpg

20200312_145939.jpg

Looks very nice. I'd prolly just ask for a couple bucks for the oak and a 12 pack lol. Nice gesture on your part and the good vibes will come back to you soon. 

I owned a custom millwork business for 15 years that went belly up. I was always building stuff for friends and family at no charge. Satisfying work to create custom pieces but a very very difficult trade to succeed in profit wise and financially. Keep up the good work. Keep it as a hobby and enjoy your time in the shop. 

AND KEEP THE D@#M GUARDS ON THE TOOLS!!! They can be a hassle but keeping all ten digits on your hands, kind of important. Be safe. 

10 hours ago, crappyice said:

Sweet project...the real question is, “How did the cardboard challenge turn out!”

We didn't do it. We were going to create the Empire State building but my daughter lost interest. I was ready to have some fun with it!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Enigma said:

AND KEEP THE D@#M GUARDS ON THE TOOLS!!! They can be a hassle but keeping all ten digits on your hands, kind of important. Be safe. 

Iv'e been working with wood in some way since I was 22! Knock on wood, I still have all the digits!

I've been multi tasking, I was working on this at the same time as the dice.  This is from my buddies first ever turkey hunt. I called this bird in opening morning last may. I hope this covid-19 crap is over by 5/1.
20200327_115823.thumb.jpg.4635c43dcfd00fd88f01d5a813d1727d.jpg
20200327_115435.thumb.jpg.bdcff515eb840d278dab3af1457b9e3e.jpg

How did you get the feet to stay splayed? I’m playing around with a beard and some turkey feets I was given by a guy who didn’t want them

11 hours ago, crappyice said:

How did you get the feet to stay splayed?

I pinned them to a piece of plywood, wedged up against the wall on my work bench, and put a nail at the top to hold them in place. You need to do this while the feet are still flexible. You can also position them the way you want and use string to tie them in position. Then let them dry. I don't know how long as I usually forget about them for months! But when the are dry they will stay in that position.

https://www.realtree.com/turkey-hunting/articles/5-diy-turkey-taxidermy-projects