6.5 Grendel, 6.5 Creedmoor, or 6.8 SPC

Creedmoor is an AR10.  Between Grendel and 6.8, depends on intended use.   Inside 300yds, 6.8 has more energy but Grendel wins at longer distances.  I chose 6.8 for the type of shots I will have on deer. Also have a creedmoor but if it’s an AR15 lower, that’s not an option.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NonTypical said:

I wasn’t aware of that. It’ll be for an AR15. 

458 socom for shotgun type ranges, most ny hunting 6.8 and long distance shooting (500 plus) Grendel.   300 blackout and 450 bushmaster fit in there with the 458.  

• Like 1

I’m a huge fan of the 6.8spc. Me and a buddy put together two ar’s for deer hunting about five years ago, and it’s all we have used since. It puts deer down well, and it’s light on recoil. All my shots are well within 100 yards but I have shot it out to 300. Out to 200 It drops a couple inches which is fine for me. I use the sst’s and federal fusion. POI is identical for both out of my gun. Order ammo online in bulk and it’s not much more that any of your other standard calibers. 

• Like 2

6.8 spc brass is cheaper than 6.5 Grendel brass.

While both rounds will feed out of a std 5.56 magazine, the 6.8 is known to feed a little better, because the 6.5 is based off of the 7.62x 39 case dimensions and will tend to bind, especially in poly magazines.

For best function, It's recommended to get magazines made to fit those rounds though.

Since Moog and Mr groundhog actually shoot the 6.8, they'll be able to attest to what mags work the best.

I looked around and stores have loaded ammo available in both calibers, and for around the same price too.

The same with components available for reloading both cartridges.

Your just going to have to flip a coin.

SJC

Edited by Shoots100
  • Like 1

458 socom for shotgun type ranges, most ny hunting 6.8 and long distance shooting (500 plus) Grendel.   300 blackout and 450 bushmaster fit in there with the 458.  

Quit suggesting 300 Body Odor. That round is doo doo and I hate it. It's absolutely useless without a can

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Jerkman said:

Quit suggesting 300 Body Odor. That round is doo doo and I hate it. It's absolutely useless without a can

300 bo is one of the few AR calibers that has not interested me.  But it is readily available in the AR15 platform. 

• Like 1

300 bo is one of the few AR calibers that has not interested me.  But it is readily available in the AR15 platform. 
Availability is definitely out there so I agree with that. But I could never recommend it in good conscience unless someone was gonna run suppressed

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

Availability is definitely out there so I agree with that. But I could never recommend it in good conscience unless someone was gonna run suppressed

I did not recommend it.  I simply noted that it falls in the same category as the 458 and 450 In terms of range and ballistics for deer hunting.   

As i said, it doesn’t interest me.  It was really developed for use in an SBR or to shoot both suppressed and not suppressed from the same rifle    

• Like 2

I did not recommend it.  I simply noted that it falls in the same category as the 458 and 450 In terms of range and ballistics for deer hunting.   

As i said, it doesn’t interest me.  It was really developed for use in an SBR or to shoot both suppressed and not suppressed from the same rifle    
Of course. We are both on the same side for how shitty it really is. Personally I'd much rather use a 400+ grain 458 round than a wimpy 300 body odor

• Like 1

I'm not a proponent of the 300 BO either, but it does fit into the OP's AR15 platform and it will kill you just as dead as a lot of other calibers inside 200 yards, especially if loaded with the lehigh DOA projectile.

Again,  I'm not a 300BO fan boy, just stating the facts.

SJC

• Like 1

I'm not a proponent of the 300 BO either, but it does fit into the OP's AR15 platform and it will kill you just as dead as a lot of other calibers inside 200 yards, especially if loaded with the lehigh DOA projectile.
Again,  I'm not a 300BO fan boy, just stating the facts.
SJC

Lehigh does make some awesome projectiles! Would love to try some of their 458 brass solids

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Jerkman said:

Of course. We are both on the same side for how shitty it really is. Personally I'd much rather use a 400+ grain 458 round than a wimpy 300 body odor

400+ grain bullets is in the same range as my 12g copper slugs. I would guess that they have the same effective range limitations as my 12g, right?

i do love my slug gun, but it does have its limits. 

Edited by NonTypical

400+ grain bullets is in the same range as my 12g copper slugs. I would guess that they have the same effective range limitations as my 12g, right?
They can take out a car engine. And idk that's a very good question! Now you got me wanting to try and find a comparison between ballistics!

They can take out a car engine. And idk that's a very good question! Now you got me wanting to try and find a comparison between ballistics! I'd say the 458 will likely perform better out to 200-250 yards whearas a shotgun slug most won't push it past 75 or so maybe 100

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Jerkman said:

They can take out a car engine. And idk that's a very good question! Now you got me wanting to try and find a comparison between ballistics! I'd say the 458 will likely perform better out to 200-250 yards whearas a shotgun slug most won't push it past 75 or so maybe 100

From what I can tell is the .458 shooting a 300g is nearly identical to the 300g federal trophy copper that I shoot now. Sounds impressive, but that’s not what I’m looking for right now. Sounds like the 6.8 is going to be the best bet. 

• Like 2

From what I can tell is the .458 shooting a 300g is nearly identical to the 300g federal trophy copper that I shoot now. Sounds impressive, but that’s not what I’m looking for right now. Sounds like the 6.8 is going to be the best bet. 
Oh 100% especially if you plan on shooting coyotes with it and don't want them to be cut in half. .458 is fantastic and an absolute blast to shoot. But for your particular purposes you're probably better off with the 6.8

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, NonTypical said:

Check out AR 15 Performance.  I want to try one of their midweight barrels in 6.8.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 3/20/2020 at 11:57 AM, moog5050 said:

Check out AR 15 Performance.  I want to try one of their midweight barrels in 6.8.

So I’ve been looking hard for a 6.8 complete upper. Not many to choose from and I’m seriously considering taking your suggestion and getting an ARP mid weight upper from Blackstone Arms. Should I get an adjustable gas block or is the standard low profile good enough?  
https://www.blackstonearms.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=68MIDUPR&CartID=1

So I’ve been looking hard for a 6.8 complete upper. Not many to choose from and I’m seriously considering taking your suggestion and getting an ARP mid weight upper from Blackstone Arms. Should I get an adjustable gas block or is the standard low profile good enough?  
https://www.blackstonearms.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=68MIDUPR&CartID=1

I kind of like the adjustable gas block but it takes some tinkering. I will say it’s not Necessary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Chef said:

I kind of like the adjustable gas block but it takes some tinkering. I will say it’s not Necessary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s kind of what I’m trying to avoid by going with a completely assembled upper. I would think that Blackstone would be able to set it up properly so that an adjustable is not needed. Any preference on the different hand guards available? Troy, SLR, Midwest, or BCM? 
I was thinking the Troy M-lok in 15”. I was also contemplating doing the cerakote in flat earth on the hand guard and the upper. 

Edited by NonTypical