Any Experience With Lasor Vision Correction?

Cabin Fever

Been toying with the idea of Lasik or other lasor vision correction. Has anyone done this that has first hand experience with it? I've only heard positive experiences from people chit chatting on the radio, but don't know of anyone personally that has done it. I don't think I've ever heard anything bad.

I would LOVE to get away from contacts and glasses!

i personally havent had done and dont need too (thank goodness) but my old room mate wore glasses and contacts on a daily basis to see normal (obviously). he was lucky enough to get hired by FDNY about 3 years ago and he made the investment to have it done so he didnt have to screw around with the inserts that you put into your SCBA mask if you had glasses. he has sworn by it since he had it done and says it was some of the best money he has ever spent

I had mine done last February. The day of the surgery my vision was tested at 20/1000, legally blind. After the most nerve wracking 10 minutes of my life and a day of rest I drove myself to the followup appointment the following day and my vision was tested at 20/15, better than perfect.

If you have the money I would highly recommend it. Mine was $3000 and the place that did it specializes in the all-laser (bladeless) version. If you're located near Buffalo I would highly recommend Atwol eye associates in Cheektowaga.

• Like 1

I had Lasiks done a maybe 4-5 years ago. Best decision in my life. Went from 20/40 astigmatism in one eye and 20/60 in another to 20/15 in both eyes. I have bionic vision and never had a problem since. Went into surgery at 4PM. Came out in a few minutes. Went home and slept till 10PM. Woke up and saw everything perfectly clear. Was out and about the next morning. Saw halo's around lights for the first two weeks but they eventually went away as the doctor said would happen. Never had a problem since.

Here's the two things I would say.

One. Lasik doesn't stop time. It only resets you back to 20/20 or as close to it as they can get. (One of my staff had his done. He was near legally blind. They were only able to get him back to about 20/40.) If your vision is still progressively getting worst, your vision will still get worst after the surgery. It's like a car rolling down the hill. Lasiks only pushes the car back up to the top of the hill but father time will continue to make the car roll down the hill again.

Two. If you are going to get it done, go with the best. You only have one set of eyes your whole life. Sure you might have been suckered out a couple of grand but what's better? That or being blind the rest of your life and constantly telling yourself you should have just paid the extra grand or two? Find the best and most reputable doctor out there. The one that is completely loaded and your money is chump change to them. I have heard that some shaddy docs will tell you that you're a good candidate for the surgery even when you're not just because they want your cash. The good doc's reputation is too important to them that a few grand is not worth it to them and will be more honest about it. I ended up paying $6K for mine. $5K for the surgery and the extra $1K is for 2 years worth of free check up, corrections, etc.

Your candidacy and the amount of correction that can be done depends on the thickness of your cornea. Since they are "shaving" the cornea to get it back to the right contour. I was blessed to be born with a really thick cornea. In the case with my staff member, his was not as thick and since his vision was so bad, they had to shave a lot and they simply couldn't shave enough without the risk of breaking his cornea.

I was going to do it when I was 39 but decided against it only because my eye doctor told me that because of my condition (astigmatism and nearsightedness), I would still need reading glasses to read or use the computer. He also told me that if you do it before you reach your 40's the chances are high that you will have to do it again in your late 40's because your eyes change as you get older (no duh!) So I decided to keep wearing glasses although now I wear progressives . . . oy vey!