My raffle gun

johnplav

I was lucky enough to win a gun at @Culvercreek hunt club’s awesome QDMA banquet.  It was the fourth off the board after an o/u 12 gauge, a howa 6.5 creedmoor and a Ruger PC 9mm.  Couldn’t be happier about scoring this Model 70 in 325 wsm.  It was a  fun night with forum members, and for future reference, if you want to be blessed with good luck all you need to do is sit next to @Nomad.  The next challenge is picking out a scope.

2EBC1317-552D-4E44-9181-4C656BD18513.jpeg

8BE7BC1F-C991-4A59-A3FD-1258351BFFCC.jpeg

6DEE1D1C-30AB-4653-BE67-8F762BF7B4E9.jpeg

• Like 17

Off topic, but referencing your scope comment.  I have become spoiled with scopes, and in return have become a poor shot with iron sights.   Never dawned in me until i was target shooting with iron sights and was very poor. One of my goals is to get back to basics and fine tune my iron sight skills. 

Thanks to whoever recommended outdoor limited.  Now I’m just waiting on the scope rings.  No such thing as a cheap/budget round for this gun... but Iv got a few dozen other calibers for cheap shooting.  This is next to a .270 for reference... these WSMs certainly are “short & fat”!

0C30EA1C-262C-4977-821D-F990189FEE4D.jpeg

A3FB25EC-3305-455D-893F-DE35B721C969.jpeg

• Like 3

Congratulations and welcome to the world of the .325 WSM!!  The rounds aren't cheap, but neither are .338 WM rounds, which are almost ballistic twins.  That rifle is capable of taking anything that can be hunted in North America.

I reload my .325 WSM rounds and can do so for the same cost as any other magnum round.  Plus I can load with Barnes TTSX bullets, to have some of the deadliest .325 WSM rounds ever devised, on hand.

Probably the most under rated hunting round in the world right now.  To own one, is to love it!

Good Luck with it!!

• Thanks 1

Also, loading the round with 180 bullets at a moderate velocity of 2600 fps makes it a great whitetail round. Loading 200 or 220 grain bullets down to 2400 fps makes it an excellent black bear rifle too.

If you hand load, that round will do anything you would need a big game rifle to do in North America.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rattler said:

Congratulations and welcome to the world of the .325 WSM!!  The rounds aren't cheap, but neither are .338 WM rounds, which are almost ballistic twins.  That rifle is capable of taking anything that can be hunted in North America.

I reload my .325 WSM rounds and can do so for the same cost as any other magnum round.  Plus I can load with Barnes TTSX bullets, to have some of the deadliest .325 WSM rounds ever devised, on hand.

Probably the most under rated hunting round in the world right now.  To own one, is to love it!

Good Luck with it!!

Thanks!  I searched on here and found an informative thread of yours.  It’s definitely a cool caliber, and it’s crazy how much energy it delivers out of a short case. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Looks great.  How do you feel about shooting it?  Do you find it comfortable or a kicker?  I find the recoil to be quite comfortable for the energy provided.  Shooting from a bench has more felt recoil than a standing shot too.

On 6/14/2020 at 1:21 AM, Rattler said:

Looks great.  How do you feel about shooting it?  Do you find it comfortable or a kicker?  I find the recoil to be quite comfortable for the energy provided.  Shooting from a bench has more felt recoil than a standing shot too.

Shot great.  No issue with recoil. 

Must be noticeably louder than the normal .22s, handguns and ARs... one of the neighbors asked if I bought a cannon. 

Edited by johnplav
  • Haha 2