Trout stocking

Just Lucky

So with my current time off figure I will have time to trout fish this year. Been a couple of years since I have had time to trout fish.

Does anyone know if dec hatcheries are still going to stock and when. Based on previous years I would think chemung county would be this week but I could not find a schedule on line

15 minutes ago, Just Lucky said:

So with my current time off figure I will have time to trout fish this year. Been a couple of years since I have had time to trout fish.

Does anyone know if dec hatcheries are still going to stock and when. Based on previous years I would think chemung county would be this week but I could not find a schedule on line

Hopefully this helps.

https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/30465.html

May also postpone if water levels are higher as ive noticed in past

I'm not sure that they post the dates they'll stock because they base it more off of stream conditions. If everything is blown out they'll wait. And some places will get stocked several different times throughout the spring. A buddy and I were getting our waders on in the parking lot last year Mid May and in rolls the stocking truck. We got talking to them and they asked if we wanted to do the stocking and we said yes, they filled nets and we took them and dumped them in different holes. Net fulls of the 2yr olds, 10-16". We then wondered if they'd take some time to acclimate or if they'd bite right away. We'll, they pretty much bit right away. We must've pulled 50 of them out of those holes on flies. We release all of the trout we catch but the people that came in behind us sure weren't.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

9 hours ago, chrisw said:

I'm not sure that they post the dates they'll stock because they base it more off of stream conditions. If everything is blown out they'll wait. And some places will get stocked several different times throughout the spring. A buddy and I were getting our waders on in the parking lot last year Mid May and in rolls the stocking truck. We got talking to them and they asked if we wanted to do the stocking and we said yes, they filled nets and we took them and dumped them in different holes. Net fulls of the 2yr olds, 10-16". We then wondered if they'd take some time to acclimate or if they'd bite right away. We'll, they pretty much bit right away. We must've pulled 50 of them out of those holes on flies. We release all of the trout we catch but the people that came in behind us sure weren't.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I have been there when the truck shows before 20t years ago as a kid. It was the same, caught one every cast.

I too will release, I never liked the taste of trout so no sense in me keeping

I say about 10 years ago we met the truck in Blemomt and walked pales down to the river.....we followed the truck a few more stops and helped along the way. We then went back to the original spot and hammered them right along the bank with red worms. Really a fun day

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
I heard from a good source that they were emptying out the hatcheries vs spreading out the stockings like they normally do, anyone else hear that?

Rez’s and streams in Putnam and Westchester are always March, April, and May. Across 3 months depending on body of water

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was making a statement, in reaction to the current crisis they arent staggering the stockings, they dumped em all

Please don’t make statements. Stick to guesses especially about “city folk”’issues!

You city folk better come get your five now, there won't be another stocking in 2020.

When I drive by the local trout streams, most say “trophy” and “catch & release” only.