Red Dot

I’m looking for a red dot for my AR. I’m curious as to what people are using. It’s pretty much going to be a plinking gun, but I think that I’d like to have the option to use it at night as well in the future. I’d also like to use a magnifier for some long range shooting. I spent hours last night looking at all the different models. I’m thinking maybe the Vortex Crossfire along with the Vortex magnifier with flip mount. I can get both on Amazon for about $350. Any thoughts on these two or recommendations on something else in this price range? 

4 hours ago, NonTypical said:

I’m looking for a red dot for my AR. I’m curious as to what people are using. It’s pretty much going to be a plinking gun, but I think that I’d like to have the option to use it at night as well in the future. I’d also like to use a magnifier for some long range shooting. I spent hours last night looking at all the different models. I’m thinking maybe the Vortex Crossfire along with the Vortex magnifier with flip mount. I can get both on Amazon for about $350. Any thoughts on these two or recommendations on something else in this price range? 

I don’t know anything about magnifiers but wouldn’t that result in the dot covering your target at longer distances.   Assuming a 3moa dot, you would cover a 6” spot at 200 without the magnifier.  Maybe the magnifier doesn’t magnify the dot?   No idea just seems like a red dot is inconsistent with any type of long distance shooting.  

• Like 1

Just now, moog5050 said:

I don’t know anything about magnifiers but wouldn’t that result in the dot covering your target at longer distances.   Assuming a 3moa dot, you would cover a 6” spot at 200 without the magnifier.  Maybe the magnifier doesn’t magnify the dot?   No idea just seems like a red dot is inconsistent with any type of long distance shooting.  

I’m not sure. I’ve never used a red dot before and these are all new to me, but a few people have told me that’s the way to go. Idk. What would you recommend?

4 minutes ago, NonTypical said:

I’m not sure. I’ve never used a red dot before and these are all new to me, but a few people have told me that’s the way to go. Idk. What would you recommend?

Nothing wrong with a red dot but just make sure you do your research.  Many are 3 moa up to 8 moa meaning they will cover a 3-8” circle at 100yds.  I would want smallest moa red dot I could find and would buy a scope if shooting beyond 100.   strikefire 2 is 4 moa.     That will cover a bit more than an 8” circle at 200yds.  Don’t expect tight groups at range.  Maybe hitting a gong it will work but not for measured target shooting. 

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Nothing wrong with a red dot but just make sure you do your research.  Many are 3 moa up to 8 moa meaning they will cover a 3-8” circle at 100yds.  I would want smallest moa red dot I could find and would buy a scope if shooting beyond 100.   strikefire 2 is 4 moa.   

Great information. I didn’t realize that. Thanks. 
So if I went with a scope, is there something that you could recommend for shooting 2-300 yards in low light or nighttime conditions?

Just now, NonTypical said:

Great information. I didn’t realize that. Thanks. 
So if I went with a scope, is there something that you could recommend for shooting 2-300 yards in low light or nighttime conditions?

Hard to beat the Vortex hog hunter for that.  Other than being a large 56mm scope, there is no downside to it.  You still have the option to turn on the red dot in the middle and it will not cover your target.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, johnplav said:

Yep what @moog5050 said.  4 MOA covers the target at 200 yards... but without magnification l can’t see the target very well at that distance anyway.  Iv got ARs with scopes for that. 

Red dots are for fast acquisition in either short range hunting or tactical situations.   Scopes are way better for any longer range situation. 

• Like 1

The best thing you can do it try to check them out or even better shoot one.  I wasn’t sure I’d even like a red dot, but it is fun for closer ranges and cool to be able to shoot with both eyes open.  I also have flip up backup sights that you can still use through the red dot (or if you remove it). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, moog5050 said:

Hard to beat the Vortex hog hunter for that.  Other than being a large 56mm scope, there is no downside to it.  You still have the option to turn on the red dot in the middle and it will not cover your target.  

I’ll look into that one. That might be what I need. I also see that Vortex makes prism scopes. Would that be like a cross between a regular scope and a red dot?

What he said

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, NonTypical said:

I’ll look into that one. That might be what I need. I also see that Vortex makes prism scopes. Would that be like a cross between a regular scope and a red dot?

Like a fixed power scope with a lit up reticle.  

• Like 1

As nice as the hog hunter scope is, I feel that it’s not quite what I’m looking for, and probably more than I need. I think I’m going to go with a spitfire 3x. I’d rather have the bdc reticle and a fixed 3x power. And I can always add a red dot sight to the side of it as well if needed for close range shooting. I’ll have to check one out in person somewhere before I make a final decision. 

• Like 1