A little scouting

ncountry

I have been social isolating myself in the woods.. After covering dozens of miles this month I've finally found some good sign on some local public land. Good sign or bucks 2 1/2 or older are rare around here.

Pics of a couple runs and the tree I've picked to sit in.

20200322_131000.jpg

20200322_130934.jpg

20200322_130906.jpg

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Damn nice rubs.  Looks like a great spot. Hope one strolls thru for you. 

Yes sir. You and I ,both.

It's a weird spot.. 100yds behind a field. On the edge of an old beaver pond. The edges and middle of the pond are loaded with nice rubs. I cannot seem to find where he is coming from. Not another rub to be found for 1/4 mile. Maybe he lives right there.  I dont know, seems to close to the field. Time will tell... I've found some rub lines headed into the huge(1000+acre swamp) not too far away but nothing of any size that would compare to this spot.

Drained beaver ponds are a magnet, if you can find where old dam was and back edge of pond the deer will still cross there as they learned those trails when pond existed and Teach them to their young.. the edge they greatest is always a travel lane

• Like 2

Drained beaver ponds are a magnet, if you can find where old dam was and back edge of pond the deer will still cross there as they learned those trails when pond existed and Teach them to their young.. the edge they greatest is always a travel lane

That’s why I love an old fence line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Yeap, old fence, dams, fields , any edge.

If you can find an edge there  will be trails. Often buck rubs .

• Like 1

Another piece of public land today. I'm never going to be able to hunt all these spots.,)

For those that make it up to black lake fishing . That's a corner/end. In the google pic.

Curious if there are fish in the pond. Not sure if I should bring back my trout or bass rig to try.

20200404_144958.jpg

Screenshot_20200404-145425_Maps.jpg

20200404_143950.jpg

20200404_144729.jpg

20200404_144956.jpg

1 hour ago, ncountry said:

Another piece of public land today. I'm never going to be able to hunt all these spots.,)

For those that make it up to black lake fishing . That's a corner/end. In the google pic.

Curious if there are fish in the pond. Not sure if I should bring back my trout or bass rig to try.

20200404_144958.jpg

Screenshot_20200404-145425_Maps.jpg

20200404_143950.jpg

20200404_144729.jpg

20200404_144956.jpg

Took a long weekend fishing trip with some guys to black lake. My thumbs were raw by the time we left. Great spot. 

• Like 1

More pics from today's hike. Managed to make it to quite a few islands out in the swamp connected by old and new dams..I cannot wait till this fall.. a lot of promising sign.I'm assuming not alot of hunting pressure  .Time  will tell.

I found it interesting (4th pic)to see a camp built on one of the islands on private land. It is only accessible by a small boat up the creek . I assume they built it in the winter hauling material in over the ice.

20200406_161611.jpg

20200406_161622.jpg

20200406_163620.jpg

20200406_163805.jpg

20200406_154516.jpg

20200406_155659.jpg

20200406_155734.jpg

20200406_155809.jpg

20200406_155815.jpg

20200406_161607.jpg

Edited by ncountry
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

So cool to have all that land close by.  Good luck.  You are doing it right by scouting now. 

A lot more time for scouting this year. Lol. Logged in around 10 miles in and around swamps this week/weekend.  I have so many oaks, scrapes ,buckrubs , and beaverdams marked on google maps I cant see the map any more. Lol. I'm going to have to sit down , see some patterns, and come up with a plan now..

• Like 1

Way too many ticks this year. I have only had 1 attached so far but have picked off 2-6 every time I've been in the woods.. with all the cliffs and hills there is an abundance of spots to sit on the ground.For bow or gun. I think I will be using a stand though to avoid these stupid things. Found the last of this years ice too!

Nice scouting work. I started scouting this winter for the first time and really enjoyed it. I went to a saddle last week on some state land nearby. The saddle is in the far corner of the state land and i hardly saw any deer sign on my way to it. As soon as i hit the saddle i saw a couple of scrapes and good sized rubs. Then i followed the saddle to the other end and wow was that area full of rubs and scrapes. There were some big red oaks and also some thick young growth and a wet area,beginning of a little stream. I have never seen so much sign in a concentrated area like that,i was floored.

I can't wait to set up in there in the fall. I also found some other good spots,but this one was the winner.

• Like 1