I won a cross bow woohoo .

cynthiafu

23 hours ago, mlammerhirt said:

Agree....wouldn't the shelf be on the wrong side? Guessing that's why they sell them in LH and RH versions??

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OPPS, my bad. Forgot about the difference in shelf placement for LH/RH bows. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2020 at 10:36 PM, mlammerhirt said:

Specs looks like it makes it legal BiZ.....17.75 ata.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

More than legal  tip to tip is measured  not axle

Add  1 or 2 inches to that...

• Like 1

Ok I  cant pull back the string lolol. But hubby did and I got to shoot it.  What i need to know is is the a crossbow that  pulls the bow back for me ?

Didn’t come with rope cocker? That would cut the weight in half. So 200lbs becomes 100lb to pull

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, cynthiafu said:

Ok I  cant pull back the string lolol. But hubby did and I got to shoot it.  What i need to know is is the a crossbow that  pulls the bow back for me ?

A Rope cocker or a generic crank is what you need. 

3 hours ago, cynthiafu said:

I lost the rope-pulley cocker that came with my Barnett Recruit, in the excitement after killing a  massive-bodied (43" chest girth) buck with it a few seasons ago.  After losing the cocker, I made up a couple of "T" handles, using short lengths of chain and hooks.  These are faster to use than the rope-pulley was, but they take more force, since there is no pulley for force multiplication.  At just 150 pounds draw weight, that ain't no big deal.   Someday, I hope to get a "double" on deer, which should be possible, because it is so fast to reload with the two home-made T-handle-chain-clips.

I would definitely recommend that you use mechanical broadheads for deer with your crossbow.    Culver posted a non-biased study that was done on a large military base, which indicated that a crossbow, with mechanical broadheads, was significantly more effective on recovering deer, than any other combination, including vertical bow/fixed broadhead, vertical bow/mechanical broadhead, or crossbow/fixed broadhead.    That also matches my own personal experience which has been 100% (5/5) on deer with a crossbow/mechanical, and considerably less than that with two of those other combinations.

I have not yet tried fixed broadheads on deer with my crossbow, and I probably never will unless they ban mechanicals (if it ain't broke don't fix it).  Last year's buck was the first that went more than 40 yards, after taking a mechanical from my crossbow (he made it just over a hundred yards).  I blame that on me being too cheap to buy new mechanicals (I used an old one that I attempted to sharpen last year).   The other (4) bucks, which I hit with new mechanicals, all dropped dead within 40 yards of where they stood when struck.      

I hope you enjoy many years of success on deer with your new crossbow.  That last one you picked up looks quite similar to my Recruit.   It is certainly not the fastest or the most expensive, but it's light weight, ease of draw, and ease of handling go along way towards getting the job done every time.     

• Like 1

I lost the rope-pulley cocker that came with my Barnett Recruit, in the excitement after killing a  massive-bodied (43" chest girth) buck with it a few seasons ago.  After losing the cocker, I made up a couple of "T" handles, using short lengths of chain and hooks.  These are faster to use than the rope-pulley was, but they take more force, since there is no pulley for force multiplication.  At just 150 pounds draw weight, that ain't no big deal.   Someday, I hope to get a "double" on deer, which should be possible, because it is so fast to reload with the two home-made T-handle-chain-clips.
I would definitely recommend that you use mechanical broadheads for deer with your crossbow.    Culver posted a non-biased study that was done on a large military base, which indicated that a crossbow, with mechanical broadheads, was significantly more effective on recovering deer, than any other combination, including vertical bow/fixed broadhead, vertical bow/mechanical broadhead, or crossbow/fixed broadhead.    That also matches my own personal experience which has been 100% (5/5) on deer with a crossbow/mechanical, and considerably less than that with two of those other combinations.
I have not yet tried fixed broadheads on deer with my crossbow, and I probably never will unless they ban mechanicals (if it ain't broke don't fix it).  Last year's buck was the first that went more than 40 yards, after taking a mechanical from my crossbow (he made it just over a hundred yards).  I blame that on me being too cheap to buy new mechanicals (I used an old one that I attempted to sharpen last year).   The other (4) bucks, which I hit with new mechanicals, all dropped dead within 40 yards of where they stood when struck.      
I hope you enjoy many years of success on deer with your new crossbow.  That last one you picked up looks quite similar to my Recruit.   It is certainly not the fastest or the most expensive, but it's light weight, ease of draw, and ease of handling go along way towards getting the job done every time.     

Alas a mechanical will not work nearly as well as a fixed on a Texas heart shot. Need the fixed for better penetration!

Call Me The Teflon Don

6 hours ago, The Jerkman said:

Alas a mechanical will not work nearly as well as a fixed on a Texas heart shot. Need the fixed for better penetration!

Call Me The Teflon Don

That is not a shot that should be taken with any type of archery equipment, however (speaking from first hand experience) it is one of the most effective and ethical shots that there is with a high-powered rifle.   

Edited by wolc123

• 3 months later...