Eating Internal Organs

Deleted Account

1 hour ago, BowmanMike said:

how do you cook the liver?

I slice it about1/2" thick and trim out all of the major veins...  Then I  dust it in flour, salt + pepper and fry it  in bacon grease over medium heat  with sliced onions..It's best when it is still a little pink in the middle..

• Like 2

11 hours ago, wolc123 said:

The external buck deer organs are good also:

1452032711_oystersandfiletmignon.jpg.990b5de3b16224e9d743adcc2c842ed3.jpg.e085cac4431d936fe05e6b8f8ded691b.jpg

Wolc, you have me semi-interested in trying this out. I’ve been an adventurous eater before so I figure, why not? But it got me wondering, you still discard the, you know, the schwanz, right? I’ll try almost anything, but I draw a hard line at the schwanz.

1 minute ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Wolc, you have me semi-interested in trying this out. I’ve been an adventurous eater before so I figure, why not? But it got me wondering, you still discard the, you know, the schwanz, right? I’ll try almost anything, but I draw a hard line at the schwanz.

Another quick story about my guide George...

As he was butchering the caribou, he was telling me about the uses the Inuit had for the different parts...

When he started to cut off the penis, I asked  "  GEORGE....What do the Inuit use THAT part for  ?..""

George replied....." Not much..."......

• Like 1

Venison liver is my favorite liver by far..Noticeably milder than beef liver.  I also like the heart, either parboiled and sliced cold for sandwiches, or sliced, floured and fried in butter...
I never tried the kidneys but I heard that they are good as long as you boil the piss out of them..
Two things I refuse to eat.. Brains and testicles....

Yup, liver is by far my favorite part of a deer! Always have a ziplock in my pocket for a lover.

Heart is good, deer I shoot around home I’ll keep the heart same with the tongue. If I’m back in the ADK’s I don’t keep the heart, usually don’t have room in my pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I too like the heart, sliced thin, seasoned flour and caste iron fried in butter.

The liver is a bit much for me straight or with onions. I have made and enjoyed venison liverwurst but the process of grinding partially frozen liver is not for the weak stomached.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, Steuben Jerry said:

That part always gets left on the gut pile.   As far as the nuts go, I will never again let them go to waste.   Pepper is the key ingredient, and it makes them taste just like the finest, freshest sea oysters.    If and when you get the balls to give them a try, remember to make a small slit thru the outer membrane prior to tossing them in the frying pan.  If you don't,  they will explode.  I use olive oil, but "Meateater" Steve Rinella recommends butter.

I tried them first on Thanksgiving weekend of 2014, when I saved a pair from my first Adirondack buck.  My mother in law fried those.  Unfortunately, most was lost in the explosions.  Those explosions made a mess in their kitchen, and my father in law (fearing a repeat of that incident) threw the sack containing those, from 2016's infamous "Texas-heart" buck, over the edge of a steep cliff.

The next time I was able to try them was from a button-buck in 2018.  That time I witnessed the explosions, but fortunately they were mostly contained by a deep iron frying pan.   They tasted ok, but not much flavor.  I made the slits and eliminated the explosions from my next buck that year (a 3.5 year old), but once again they had very little "taste".   

Those in the photo on this thread were from last year's 3.5 year old buck.  That time I used plenty of pepper, and I learned that was the true "secret" for making them taste spectacular.   They were so good that they really have me looking forward to hunting season this year.   I should have enough tags for (7) bucks (5 would need to be buttons), but I will be very thankful for just one or two.  Hopefully, you will get to enjoy plenty this season yourself.

Deer heart is fantastic when salvageable. Pickled is very easy to make and always a great snack. Fresh floured and quick fried is good as well.

Liver, sometimes I keep it from a young skipper. The liver on an adult deer is just too big for me to keep. My dad likes it and we eat it once a year or so. Butter and onions of course. Always keep the kidneys. Beef and kidney pie is some good stuff. 

I've tried calf oysters a couple times and I'll pass on those from a buck. Same with the brains. I knew folks at one time that loved sauteed deer brains. Tried em but again, I'll pass. 

My apologies to some of the older members  of this forum who have already heard this story...
I was hunting caribou in NWT in 1994, and had killed a bull...My guide was a full blooded Inuit named George Konana..
George was butchering my bull, and I was standing alongside with my hands in my pockets feeling weird, because I was accustomed  to being the one doing the butchering.. This was my first guided hunt..
George cut out the liver and set it aside...I asked him if caribou liver was good to eat...
He cut a slice of the raw liver, and then cut open the stomach..
He  dipped the liver slice into the stomach  and got a big green gob of the contents and then ate the whole mess, and licked his fingers
George looked at me and said " There's too much for me to eat, YOU want some  ?  "
I replied  " ****  you, George ."....

The mountain men loved liver dipped in bile, I’ll pass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

must have been a good migration last year? what did you do? shoot 3,000?

I bait 'em with nightcrawlers and then catch 'em in a cannon net...

Keep it to yourself, though..It might be slightly illegal...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

You know, I think I could do the raw liver on a bet, but dipped in stomach contents ???  NOPE !....

I grew up on soups made from internal organs, chicken, deer, rabbit, always made from scratch.  The heart and liver from the deer were prized by us, so good eating and healthy for all.   Hearts and livers from rabbits and chickens  were all made into great soups along with fresh baked homemade bread with fresh butter, made by hand.

Nowadays my children will not listen about eating animal organs.  They have no idea what they are missing.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

My Pheasant Hunting dogs over the years absolutely loved Pheasant Livers!     And the latest research on Orca Whales shows them ( turning over) Great White Sharks so they are harmless and going for the Shark Liver.

Never heard of that, had to Google. And up comes the subject of testicles again!

https://allthatsinteresting.com/killer-whales-eat-sharks

2 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

That'e how the Inuit get there vitamin C.  After that moss gets fully digested, it is all gone.  They don't have much citrus up there.

4 hours ago, The Jerkman said:

USA Buffalo?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

African

Only thing that didn't make someones dinner table was the stomach/digestive tract contents......right down to the hooves.

Heart.....dark spot just below fat line is first shot bullet hole (solid bullet, no expansion, no herd hunting so going for maximum penetration from any angle); think we had that a couple days later.

FkzzSuY.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, blackbeltbill said:

OK- If anyone here is busting into a Buck Skull to cook up a Brain-- I don't want to hear about it- LOL!

I have removed many of them with my power washer, while doing euro mounts, but I have never tried eating one.  Birds and other vermin always clean up every last scrap, along with the eyeballs, lips, etc, within 24 hours.   I have always been amazed at how small a whitetail buck's brain is, considering how elusive they are.  The brain of a 3.5 year old buck is about the same size as one of it's nuts.  It would take several to provide enough calories for a meal.   Certainly the small size makes the head shot a much poorer shot choice than the butt shot.   The Texas-heart (butt) shot offers a quick-kill zone of at least a foot in diameter, while the head shot is less than 2".   

695635618_eurosand6-point.jpeg.c245dcb70f4d414c7a55b328ca76199b.jpeg     

Edited by wolc123

2 hours ago, wolc123 said:

I have removed many of them with my power washer, while doing euro mounts, but I have never tried eating one.  Birds and other vermin always clean up every last scrap, along with the eyeballs, lips, etc, within 24 hours.   I have always been amazed at how small a whitetail buck's brain is, considering how elusive they are.  The brain of a 3.5 year old buck is about the same size as one of it's nuts.  It would take several to provide enough calories for a meal.   Certainly the small size makes the head shot a much poorer shot choice than the butt shot.   The Texas-heart (butt) shot offers a quick-kill zone of at least a foot in diameter, while the head shot is less than 2".   

695635618_eurosand6-point.jpeg.c245dcb70f4d414c7a55b328ca76199b.jpeg     

The expression on that buck's face says...." Holy CRAP...Somebody just shot me in the ass  !! "....

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

always try to save the heart. lot of times with a rifle its torn up pretty bad. if it got an arrow through it I save it so long as the arrow didn't hit anything back of the diaphragm. nothing fancy just grilled or fried up sooner than later. anything else is for the birds. liver too. I really don't care for liver.

4 hours ago, Pygmy said:

The expression on that buck's face says...." Holy CRAP...Somebody just shot me in the ass  !! "....

Sorry Dan, thats the wrong buck, but you did give me an idea for a taxidermy project. The little 6-point, second from the bottom, was the Texas-heart buck.   It would have been cool to have a photo from the front, when that bullet struck.   My father in law always tells me that the eyes would probably have been protruding out pretty far, right about then.  

The cape on the shoulder mount up top was given to me by a friend.  He had a buck that his grandfather had killed re-mounted on a larger cape.  He gave me the small mounted cape, and I attached the rack from my first buck into it.  My dad made the walnut plaque for the back.  

Dad also made the little red-oak plaque that the Texas-heart buck rack is now on.   When and if I find the time, maybe I will put my first buck's rack back on that small oak plaque that it was originally on.   Then I can put the Texas-heart rack into the little cape.  I will try and pull the glass eye balls out as far as possible, to try and re-create the actual "holy crap" facial expression.   I will also put the exit hole in the lower neck (there was no entry hole).   The exit hole was just to the left of center on the lower neck (the buck's head was facing right when the bullet struck).

That may be the best shot that I have ever made on a deer and it would be nice to have a lasting reminder of it. I always go for "aim small miss small", and hope to hit an individual hair.   There was no hair at the spot I aimed that time, but there is also no doubt that my bullet struck right on it.            

Edited by wolc123

• 1 month later...