Tajmahal begins

Zag

I'm gonna follow this thread as i'm probably going to build a couple of these this summer. There are lots of options and points of view to consider. Height, size, window locations, etc. I would like to make it in panels that can be pulled apart. That way i can build it at home, pull it apart, stack it on a trailer and re assemble in the woods. Setting the platform will probable be a challenge? Also, I would like to make window openings that will work for archery, I assume that archery windows will also work good for gun? Probably just have to add a removable shooting rail inside the window for a gun rest. Looking forward to getting started on this project. 

• Like 1

Well I was set to dig holes this weekend but now might be on hold, I was having a hard time lifting the auger while attached to the tractor while getting it ready to go. Called the dealer sent the service guy some pics and called me back to inform me they sold me the wrong one, it's one size to big. Bummer, now waiting to see when I can get the right one.

On 4/4/2020 at 12:01 PM, Zag said:

This arrived yesterday!! This sob will dig to China if your not careful. Was shooting to dig holes this weekend but a couple things came up, so maybe next weekend!

KIMG1816.JPG

Word of caution... Go slow... little at a time. It will dig down fast If you catch a larger root or rock, you can't just lift it out of the hole, and there's no reverse, lol.

Also why strapped to the ROPS? 

45 minutes ago, mowin said:

Word of caution... Go slow... little at a time. It will dig down fast If you catch a larger root or rock, you can't just lift it out of the hole, and there's no reverse, lol.

Also why strapped to the ROPS? 

The strap was Jerry rigged to keep the auger off the ground ( as it's to big). Yeah the manual can't state enough how careful you need to be around it.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2020 at 5:24 PM, Zag said:

The strap was Jerry rigged to keep the auger off the ground ( as it's to big). Yeah the manual can't state enough how careful you need to be around it.

Unfortunately I've caught a root or rock more than once.  Sometimes you can rock it back and forth to loosen it up, but depending on how deep it is, you can bend the bit easier than you think.  

At times I've had to remove the bit from the auger, and use a pipe wrench to reverse the bit out of the hole.  

16 hours ago, mowin said:

Unfortunately I've caught a root or rock more than once.  Sometimes you can rock it back and forth to loosen it up, but depending on how deep it is, you can bend the bit easier than you think.  

At times I've had to remove the bit from the auger, and use a pipe wrench to reverse the bit out of the hole.  

Damn, ok good to know.. I wouldn't have guessed as this thing looks invincible, will be digging in the woods and sure to run across some pesky roots.

Well I got the correct auger delivered yesterday, trailered it up after lunch today, drove her thru the trails and up the hill to the site with no issues (the trails are pretty wet).

I got the first hole 3/4 dug and heard a snap. Some pin or bold in the housing above the auger must have busted. So damn ticked off. I was hoping to get them done this weekend and start with setting the posts next weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

So got 4 replacement pins delivered this past week. Got started today on the holes and I’m feeling damn defeated. I must have dug 5 different holes and hit rock the auger wasn’t busting in every one. Max depth on all of them seemed to be just over 2ft. Not sure if it’s one large shake rock but I tried all sorts of spots with the same results. I’m not sure what the heck I’m gonna do now, wasn’t supposed to be this difficult. I could move to a different location maybe but this was the perfect spot for a few different reasons. Stumped at the moment.

First splay the legs, dig a larger diameter footing and pour  with 1/2" anchor bolt. Use some 1/4 x 3" steel and bend for the anchor bolt and 2 carriage bolts through the legs. But make the straps like 2' high on the legs to keep the bolts out of the wet/snow and away from the end of the posts.

38 minutes ago, Zag said:

So got 4 replacement pins delivered this past week. Got started today on the holes and I’m feeling damn defeated. I must have dug 5 different holes and hit rock the auger wasn’t busting in every one. Max depth on all of them seemed to be just over 2ft. Not sure if it’s one large shake rock but I tried all sorts of spots with the same results. I’m not sure what the heck I’m gonna do now, wasn’t supposed to be this difficult. I could move to a different location maybe but this was the perfect spot for a few different reasons. Stumped at the moment.

I dont have any of.my.blinds in ground. I simply drive stakes in and cable legs to stakes. Comes in handy when I want to move them with fork on loader of tractor. Drive to new spot restake.and cable done.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

First splay the legs, dig a larger diameter footing and pour  with 1/2" anchor bolt. Use some 1/4 x 3" steel and bend for the anchor bolt and 2 carriage bolts through the legs. But make the straps like 2' high on the legs to keep the bolts out of the wet/snow and away from the end of the posts.

Hahaha... ummm English please?? This is why I stick to investments for a day job.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, G-Man said:

I dont have any of.my.blinds in ground. I simply drive stakes in and cable legs to stakes. Comes in handy when I want to move them with fork on loader of tractor. Drive to new spot restake.and cable done.

Mine was gonna be more of a 8x8 cabin. 

2 hours ago, Zag said:

Hahaha... ummm English please?? This is why I stick to investments for a day job.

Wide stance at the bottom will help overcome some wind load. Heavy footings add weight at the base also going to help.

How high is this going to be and height of side wall? Roof design?

I build for a living, so I don't know anything either; I ask at Home Depot.^_^

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

Wide stance at the bottom will help overcome some wind load. Heavy footings add weight at the base also going to help.

How high is this going to be and height of side wall? Roof design?

I build for a living, so I don't know anything either; I ask at Home Depot.^_^

My vision was this.... goal was 10ft to the floor, normal walls as in 6’5 and want to be able to stand, loft was for overnights!

699B9BCA-6502-4F20-A82B-AEAB74D809E1.jpeg

Gotcha.....

Thats going to be a fair heavy structure; thats good, its short to platform; and 6'6" sidewall is short too relative to say 8'. All thats adds up to less chance of toppling.

So here's what I'd do and its JMO.....

Dig down to your rock, and pour some piers about 16" square and inbed some these guys at the corners.....

Theres a drawing how it goes into concrete.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Simpson-Strong-Tie-CBSQ-Galvanized-Standoff-Column-Base-for-6x6-Nominal-Lumber-with-SDS-Screws-CBSQ66-SDS2/100375030

Stack some 2x12 for forms; 16" square x22" high needs about 5 1/2 bags of 80lb concrete mix per hole.

OR get some 16" sonotube and save a bag of mix.....

https://www.homedepot.com/p/SAKRETE-16-in-x-48-in-Form-Tube-65475000/100669878

I'd take my SDS hammer drill and pin some 1/2" rebar into the rock for the footings especially if I was in an exposed location.

Pro tip=====>Timberlock and Ledgerlock screws are your friend and worth the price when doing things like 6x6 posts and bracing.

Edited by Dinsdale
  • Like 1

On 3/31/2020 at 12:43 PM, 2012_taco said:

I'm gonna follow this thread as i'm probably going to build a couple of these this summer. There are lots of options and points of view to consider. Height, size, window locations, etc. I would like to make it in panels that can be pulled apart. That way i can build it at home, pull it apart, stack it on a trailer and re assemble in the woods. Setting the platform will probable be a challenge? Also, I would like to make window openings that will work for archery, I assume that archery windows will also work good for gun? Probably just have to add a removable shooting rail inside the window for a gun rest. Looking forward to getting started on this project. 

A 20 in tall window allows bow , crossbow and gun , width is up to you. Been building walls and house and assembling in place.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/8/2020 at 12:24 PM, Lomax said:

We call this the Buckform. It’s 12x12 at 14ft high. Still a work in process C3D77BA3-4F10-4767-A16C-50CC6D86D2F9.thumb.jpeg.327b9cf406e408f082fdcbdc7d96e4ac.jpegBut where I plan on spending my retirement each fall

689B1DF4-E971-48B2-AF77-3998E431C118.jpeg

05A38E6B-7ED9-4FCE-9468-537BBAE28906.jpeg

2895E29A-C739-4988-9C7A-90A1A9AB065C.jpeg

How far did you get the posts in the ground?

• Like 1