Tajmahal begins

Zag

I built this last year.  Not quite what you're going for, but my 70 year old dad likes it.  Gonna get him a space heater this year for it.  Gotta reinforce the stairs, realign the door, but otherwise she's held up really well over the winter.  Now I just need to figure out what to plant in the plot below it......

IMG_20190914_160739.jpg

IMG_20190913_185826.jpg

• Like 1

Very nice your Dad should enjoy for years to come.  It looks pretty thick around you so good spot.  Not sure how much open plot you have to plant but soybeans are my favorite but you’re gonna need like a couple acres or they’ll just devour them 

If you don’t have that much plot to plant I would suggest deer radishes In the metal with clover around the outside good luck

That will help soil just had friend I went to college with buy 2700 pounds of pelletized lime for a farm he’s going to spread it on up at near Watertown so he can put beans in.
I have a 10+acre field I planted 3 acres of corn Sunday and will plant two More Friday night. I planted those in front of my blind in the field to hide my access switch grass works well too but corn is better. 

I will plant 5 acres of beans starting around June 10 I plant them down the middle of the field to draw out the deer and also til Up an acre and a half From the middle to the edge of the woods and set ground blinds on The edge of the woods facing into the beans.  If you do this on either side of the field then you can play the wind depending on which direction it’s coming from.  
In July I will come back and put in half acre to acre spot of brassicas and deer radishes in July I will come back and put in half acre to acre spot of brassicas and deer radishes. After harvest with all the food it’s not unusual to a lot of deer 

good hunting 

• Like 1

That's the issue with a PTO post hole digger.  Every softball or larger rock or root will cause issues.  I just did 14 holes for a garden fence.  I figured the area "might" be ok because of the close proximity to the house.  8 holes had to be hand dug.  What a pita.  

I would love to have a bucket loader mounted post hole auger.  You've now have down pressure and reverse if you get jammed up.  However, they are $1500 +, and if you don't have the 3rd remotes factory installed on the tractor, add another $1000. 

When I put up mine we hand dug The 4 foot deep holes it was hard as there were a ton of tree roots. Setting the 25 foot six by sixes in the holes and standing them up took five of us. I think we used 8 to 10 bags per hole of concrete per hole.  My son owns and operates his own construction company so he and a couple crew work as time and materials permit.  Next is siding and windows seal it up a bit 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well I caved in, neither my dad nor brother wanted to help especially the issue of hitting solid rock two ft down and i have limited building skills, but all is well as this is going in its place. Now my dad will have something cozy to hunt out of plus my now 12 yr olds gonna have a spot too!!

900E1459-EE28-440A-A06A-ECA95287FC3C.jpeg

• Like 4

Yep, ill keep this going with updates till its done. Tomorrow i need to finish up the last part of the food plot and Sunday get the holes ready. This is much lighter than my original plan so im told not to worry to much about the post hole depth. So im hoping 12ft!

• Like 1

Well turkey season  kinda got in the way, but I did start to build 1 of the box blinds yesterday afternoon. I'm experimenting with the window sizes and height so I'll sheath it after I decide what will work best. 

20200530_163428.jpg

20200530_163527.jpg

Edited by 2012_taco
spelling
  • Like 3

I still need to make a door(forgot to buy some hinges) I think the windows should work for both archery and gun? I made panels and screwed them together so I can take it apart and stack it on a trailer to haul up in the woods. We will make the windows from plexiglas, awning style. And it will need some paint 

20200531_102926.jpg

20200531_130321.jpg

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, 2012_taco said:

Got 2 coats of base paint on today and the door is built.  Tomorrow I'll try my hand at tree bark and leaves for a little camouflage.

20200602_183004.jpg

Looking good..BTW, I painted my tower stand  dark brown.." Downtown Brown"....You would amazed how well it blends in with the mixed evergreen/hardwood background....

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Moho81 said:

I like your window idea. Haven’t seen it done that way yet. How easy do they open and close. Easy and fast enough to get a shot off of a deer is walking by?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure how quick one could open the window? Because of the size of the window, I used a cord on each side. So it takes a second to latch one side while holding the window open , then latch the opposite side. Plus all that movement would probably spook the deer. I plan on opening up the windows as soon as i enter the blind. I'll probable not open the window on the wind side for warmth. 

This is my first attempt at building a blind, so we figure to get this 1 set up in the field and practice shooting at least the bow out of it at various spots, critique it and make adjustments on the next blind. I was planning on building 2 blinds for the property from the get go.

Looking good! That is a mighty big window!! It will be hard to move that without being picked off. Also a lot of glare. I am still working on a system I like a lot.

Problems I have are glare and condensation. Also be careful with a window in front and behind you. Your silhouette will stand out and movement easy to see. 

You are gonna love that on those shit weather days. I admit I like being not boxed in but when its cruddy and your all comfy you can sit a long time!

• Like 1

I built split windows on this one last year.
Bought a tinted Plexi glass that really cuts down the glare and the split windows allow me to only open a section that I need.

This is a 4X8 blind so it's to narrow to shoot out the 8' length side....but I can postion myself to shoot out the 4' side.

My buddy took a real nice 8pt out of it opening morning of gun.....the buck walked past at about 10 yards and he waited until it was at around 20 to pull up his gun and shoot he was so shocked.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I built split windows on this one last year.
Bought a tinted Plexi glass that really cuts down the glare and the split windows allow me to only open a section that I need.

This is a 4X8 blind so it's to narrow to shoot out the 8' length side....but I can postion myself to shoot out the 4' side.

My buddy took a real nice 8pt out of it opening morning of gun.....the buck walked past at about 10 yards and he waited until it was at around 20 to pull up his gun and shoot he was so shocked.

Pic of blind3399f519b50d371fab87cbf7492458b3.jpg

• Like 1