Tajmahal begins

Zag

9 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

How essential do you think it is to at least build the floor out of pressure treated lumber? I ask because I have enough non pressure treated 2x6's left over from another project to completely build the floor of my box. I figured I would paint everything exposed to help it last longer knowing that I will have to repaint it again a few years down the line. 

I’m of the camp, do it once and never worry again. It’s still exposed to the outdoors and won’t last as long and at some point you will have to address again. And really it’s not a huge cost to get p treated. Sell you leftovers on clist 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

How essential do you think it is to at least build the floor out of pressure treated lumber? I ask because I have enough non pressure treated 2x6's left over from another project to completely build the floor of my box. I figured I would paint everything exposed to help it last longer knowing that I will have to repaint it again a few years down the line. 

Are you going to be elevating the blind, as on 4x4 's? I used normal framing lumber on the floor of the blind i built because i built the walls with the sheathing overlapping the side of the floor. That way the rain will pass by the deck and shouldn't be getting it too wet. I also painted the exterior and plan to touch it up "as needed"

4 minutes ago, Zag said:

I’m of the camp, do it once and never worry again. It’s still exposed to the outdoors and won’t last as long and at some point you will have to address again. And really it’s not a huge cost to get p treated. Sell you leftovers on clist 

1 minute ago, 2012_taco said:

Are you going to be elevating the blind, as on 4x4 's? I used normal framing lumber on the floor of the blind i built because i built the walls with the sheathing overlapping the side of the floor. That way the rain will pass by the deck and shouldn't be getting it too wet. I also painted the exterior and plan to touch it up "as needed"

Zag - I just purchased the lumber last week so I still have the receipt. I can easily return it and buy the few pressure treated pieces I will need. Assuming home depot is taking returns now. I know for a while they stopped for Covid reasons. 

Taco - It will be elevated on pallet racking approximately 12' in the air. I figure touching it up with some spray paint wouldn't be to much of an issue. 

Good luck finding pressure treated anything right now......I was at 84 lumber in OP today and the list was a mile long of what they were out of PT wise. Their yard was cleaned out....along with most home depot's and Lowe's in the area.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Good luck finding pressure treated anything right now......I was at 84 lumber in OP today and the list was a mile long of what they were out of PT wise. Their yard was cleaned out....along with most home depot's and Lowe's in the area.

Really? Well that just end up making up my mind for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The kid that helped me said it's crazy....so many people are doing projects the suppliers can't keep up. Looks like mid to end of July before I can get my hands on the composite decking I need for my above ground pool deck to match the porch.

20 hours ago, Moho81 said:

Taco - It will be elevated on pallet racking approximately 12' in the air. I figure touching it up with some spray paint wouldn't be to much of an issue. 

Pallet racking? That will be interesting, I'll definitely need to see pics when it's done! As for using standard framing wood, if you side or sheath over the 2x's it wont be exposed to the weather. I don't see it rotting? Standard house framing 101. Rodent abuse, that's a hole different animal! (pun intended)

3 hours ago, 2012_taco said:

Pallet racking? That will be interesting, I'll definitely need to see pics when it's done! As for using standard framing wood, if you side or sheath over the 2x's it wont be exposed to the weather. I don't see it rotting? Standard house framing 101. Rodent abuse, that's a hole different animal! (pun intended)

There is already a few on the property that are on the pallet racking. Makes it simple and light weight. If i remember i will snap pictures. 

• 5 weeks later...

Started the blind today. With any luck I’ll have it in the woods by mid September. It will be 6 foot by 5.5 foot with a 2.5 foot platform. This year I probably won’t have time to build a set of stairs to it so I’ll just toss a ladder on it. It should sit 12 feet high when all done.
7b3eb0d102c84a18aba4087682a3d37e.jpg

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

Started the blind today. With any luck I’ll have it in the woods by mid September. It will be 6 foot by 5.5 foot with a 2.5 foot platform. This year I probably won’t have time to build a set of stairs to it so I’ll just toss a ladder on it. It should sit 12 feet high when all done.
7b3eb0d102c84a18aba4087682a3d37e.jpg

Used ladder for 1st year ...works

12 hours ago, Moho81 said:

I was thinking 7/16” OSB but then is paint good enough to protect it?

You could use osb but if it starts to get wet it will deteriorate quickly. I would use 1/2" (nominal size) plywood. it will hold up better if it gets wet. and it will hold the paint better. just be sure to coat all the seams and cuts well as that is where the water will get in and start the delamination. JMHO.

• Like 1

What are you guys using for exterior sheathing? I was thinking 7/16” OSB but then is paint good enough to protect it? 

osb is bad news especially in porkupine county. They love the glue that hold it together.. as do many other critters, I cut a white pine that top snapped off of and had 1/2 boards cut out if it. Sided 2 stands with it and have enough left for 2 more 6 ft walls. . Board and batton  best natural way , vinyl siding would be my other suggestion

• Like 1