Tajmahal begins

Zag

Wiring ?  When is the electric baseboard heat , stovetop burner , and fridge going in ? After you drywall or pine board the walls ?  You running a cable for TV or are you going with a satellite  dish so you dont miss the NFL games ?

You aren't building this for hunting. You are building a place to go to escape from the wife !  :rofl::rofl:

jk with ya  Lomax

Edited by SportsmanNH
  • Like 1

On 9/13/2020 at 3:34 PM, Moho81 said:

Major hurdle this weekend. The blind is up in the air. I still have to do some cross bracing so it’s not as wobbly then the roof, make the doors and put in the plexiglass windows. It’s going to come right down to the wire.
9f9fb85b2aa02646db5f44f91ed053bc.jpg
42e33e7a8932b8fb16bca350b14cf7ca.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you use warehouse racks for the elevated framing? that should be real strong! How does it brace up? metal straps and self taping screws?

Edited by 2012_taco
spelling

@SportsmanNH yup all the creature comforts ha. My son owns his own construction company and told me he was going to do some siding and windows I got home to find insulation Wiring.  I think he knows it’s going to be his one day so I really can’t complain I think it would be nice to have heat and electric at some point considering I said up there in a ground blind for 5 years before we put the building up.  I told my son after I saw this that we might as well finish the bottom at some point with some beds and kitchen area. Stay in the bottom hunt in the top won’t have to leave for the whole season we can FaceTime with the wives if they like but they’re not allowed out there. 

BA64FAA9-C354-458B-95EC-4123F35BD110.jpeg

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Lomax said:

@SportsmanNH yup all the creature comforts ha. My son owns his own construction company and told me he was going to do some siding and windows I got home to find insulation Wiring.  I think he knows it’s going to be his one day so I really can’t complain I think it would be nice to have heat and electric at some point considering I said up there in a ground blind for 5 years before we put the building up.  I told my son after I saw this that we might as well finish the bottom at some point with some beds and kitchen area. Stay in the bottom hunt in the top won’t have to leave for the whole season we can FaceTime with the wives if they like but they’re not allowed out there. 

BA64FAA9-C354-458B-95EC-4123F35BD110.jpeg

I'm guessing its going to be solar powered,  or you don't care about the generator noise? Awesome stand though 

• Thanks 1

No generator noise or smell. Solar power sounds good but its like 175yds from my house and I have power at my pole barn that like 120yds from it.  So maybe bring it one day above or below ground   If I do that I would run cable too. I hope my son and grandkids enjoy for years to come.  

• Like 1

Did you use warehouse racks for the elevated framing? that should be real strong! How does it brace up? metal straps and self taping screws?

Yep that’s the warehouse rack. We put the platform at 12’-6” and the finished floor is 13’. I used unistrut for some cross bracing then the floor is secured to the metal just as use said. I used Simpson rafter hangers with self tapping screws and wood screws.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2020 at 11:01 PM, Moho81 said:

The roof went on this afternoon I had 6 people helping which was awesome! All thats left is the door and windows which will be done next weekend. It has been a fun project that I can’t wait to share time in the stand with my daughter! 94e5fb08e4d062018f4fedb039e042e3.jpg

Is Larry gonna stop over and hang some nice french doors on the main entrance? 

I got everything ready over at my folks place today, including putting up posted signs along road and two sides, trimming shooting lanes, and making sure (3) hang on stands were secure.  

The biggest project was leveling this big two story blind.  The back had been settling, over the last few years, and it was getting a bit dicey up top towards the end of last ML season.  A little work underneath, with a hydraulic jack and some blocks, and it is just about perfectly level now.  That should make it a lot more comfortable for long sits.

I had left an old boat seat up on the upper open-topped deck.  When I raised the folded down back rest, a fat mouse with a hairless baby on each tit scrambled off the seat and jumped down to the ground.  It had borrowed a hole about 4" diameter into the foam back rest.   The seat should still be useable, but I hope that she does not return with her babies.

I have only killed one deer out of this two story blind (from the upper deck), but it might have had the largest body of any that I have taken.  The busted up crossbow 6 point, back in 2017, had a 43" chest girth, edging out my 2018 shotgun buck by an inch.  That one had a bigger rack, tipped the scales field-dressed at 182 pounds, and was killed about 400 yards further back from a hang on stand.

I love these two story blind because they work out good for any weather conditions.  Mostly I hunt from up top, because visibility is better with no blind spots. The enclosed lower level is great when rain and or high winds develop.  I have killed lots of deer from both levels from the similar one that I have at home, including my largest racked crossbow buck last season (also from the upper deck) but that one only had a 39" chest girth.

20200927_191318.jpg

Edited by wolc123

33 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

I got everything ready over at my folks place today, including putting up posted signs along road and two sides, trimming shooting lanes, and making sure (3) hang on stands were secure.  

The biggest project was leveling this big two story blind.  The back had been settling, over the last few years, and it was getting a bit dicey up top towards the end of last ML season.  A little work underneath, with a hydraulic jack and some blocks, and it is just about perfectly level now.  That should make it a lot more comfortable for long sits.

I had left an old boat seat up on the upper open-topped deck.  When I raised the folded down back rest, a fat mouse with a hairless baby on each tit scrambled off the seat and jumped down to the ground.  It had borrowed a hole about 4" diameter into the foam back rest.   The seat should still be useable, but I hope that she does not return with her babies.

I have only killed one deer out of this two story blind (from the upper deck), but it might have had the largest body of any that I have taken.  The busted up crossbow 6 point, back in 2017, had a 43" chest girth, edging out my 2018 shotgun buck by an inch.  That one had a bigger rack, tipped the scales field-dressed at 182 pounds, and was killed about 400 yards further back from a hang on stand.

I love these two story blind because they work out good for any weather conditions.  Mostly I hunt from up top, because visibility is better with no blind spots. The enclosed lower level is great when rain and or high winds develop.  I have killed lots of deer from both levels from the similar one that I have at home, including my largest racked crossbow buck last season (also from the upper deck) but that one only had a 39" chest girth.

20200927_191318.jpg

Looks safe

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Looks safe

It is very stable now but was a little shakey before the  leveling.  The secret to killing mature bucks from them seems to be the weathered barn siding around the upper deck.  Prior to that, only does and button bucks got killed from these blinds.

16 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

It is very stable now but was a little shakey before the  leveling.  The secret to killing mature bucks from them seems to be the weathered barn siding around the upper deck.  Prior to that, only does and button bucks got killed from these blinds.

Interesting

Did a ton of work this weekend and besides a few last min minor details the new stand is ready to go. Alivia worked hard right along my side all weekend as we framed in the windows, hung the door and did some painting. I didn’t take any pictures this weekend until late today when I realized I would want to have this moment, this weekend captured in the memory bank.
17c33c19bb0e3bbae5808065abc0bb25.jpg

• Like 5

I'm still working on my setup. Having a new baby in the house really limited my time to work on it this summer. Some of your builds look great! I think I'm going to change my plan just a bit based on some info i see here. I kinda like the open top option, with an enclosed and covered ground level.

9 hours ago, Bolt action said:

I kinda like the open top option, with an enclosed and covered ground level.

The 3 ft wall is the biggest  key to making those open tops work.  I experimented with a few options for wrapping that.  First, I tried snowfence and weaving leafy branches through it each season.  That was very high maintenance and never produced a deer for me.

The weathered barn siding really did the trick. The year I first put it up (2016), I took a nice mature buck from behind it, and two more older ones the last few years, topped off by a fine 8 point 3.5 year old on opening day of crossbow season last year.  That buck actually aproached to less than 20 yards, giving me a broadside, open-field shot, after first making eye contact with me from 75 yards away.

Any blind with a roof is handicapped by blind spots (no pun intended).  The open top breaks that barrier and gives you full 360 degree visibility.  The 3 ft solid wall blocks most of your motion as you position for a shot at any angle.  A swivel seat lets it work exactly like a turret on a tank.

They work for other sharp eyed species also.  Dozens of squirrels have met their fate from behind my barnwood sided "turrets", along with a couple of foxes and a fall turkey. 

Besides 3/4 concealment, that 3 ft wall eliminates any chance of a fall and the need to wear a safety harness.  It also provides a great gun/crossbow rest.

• Like 1