Live from the Water 2020

The_Real_TCIII

44 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

My buddy Mort and I just finshing cleaning 42 bluegills, taken in about 2 hours from another friend's pond...We kept nothing under 8 inches, and many of them were were 9" to 9 1/2"...

I got two and a half pounds of filets from my share of 21 fish...Those are some pretty chunky bluegills, and IMHO some of the very best tasting fresh water fish...

I'm heading up next weekend going to try for bluegills and perch.I never eat ether and want to give them a try.How are the bluegills scaled and pan fried? that's how i'd like to cook them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

You’re asking the right guy 

I'm not Pygmy but I've cleaned and fried a few fish in my life.  They would be excellent. Just scaling is a pita when they are so easy to fillet.  My buddy's Dad always made us scale all the fish.  I used to release some just so I didn't have to .  But they would be great.  Panfish are about the best eating and mild fish there is.  Fry em up and post some pics! Good luck

• Like 1

18 hours ago, mlammerhirt said:

Better than getting a call letting you know your outboard is dunzoo! It overheated late August last year and I had it looked over and the impeller replaced....go to run it this year and it won't spit water out....send it back to the shop and he tells me there must be a blockage and tired for a week to free it with no luck. When you run the motor it begins to overheat within 30 seconds. Getting a second opinion first and then maybe will have to repower it.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I wish you the best of luck in getting that situation straightened out.   I was in a similar bind myself, 21 years ago this week.  There probably is not a worse week to have engine trouble.  The lower unit was junk on my 1989 Johnson 60 hp that came with the boat when I bought it new, fresh out of college.  The seals got damaged from fishing line, and the gears were shot, as a result of water getting into the oil.   The marina where I bought the boat was too busy to even look at it for a few weeks.    They had plenty of time to set me up with a brand-new 70 hp the next day however.   

This 17 footer was a bit under-powered with the 60 hp back there, but that 1999, 70 is just right.   I am a bit more careful on maintenance now, and it has not given me a lick of trouble the last 20 years (the power pack went the first year, but that was covered under warranty).  I down-sized my "kicker" this year, from a 1989 15 hp Johnson, to a 1956 5.5 hp  Evinrude.   I had to replace the bow-mount Min-kota last year, but that did not cost me anything.  I found it on craigslist and the guy traded me even for an old "spare" stern mount that I had.   I just need to get my new depth-finder hooked up in the front and I will be ready for opening day of bass season in a couple more weeks.   I already have Saturday and Sunday booked with fishing buddies. 

truck and boat in barn.jpeg

• Like 3

My buddy Mort and I just finshing cleaning 42 bluegills, taken in about 2 hours from another friend's pond...We kept nothing under 8 inches, and many of them were were 9" to 9 1/2"...
I got two and a half pounds of filets from my share of 21 fish...Those are some pretty chunky bluegills, and IMHO some of the very best tasting fresh water fish...

69803526b4fb681cb0b910e3fdd84f7d.jpg
Today’s lunch! 5 fish make a nice “snack”
I filleted and skinned them without much meat loss...bread crumb instead of the usual corn meal...really enjoyed them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, rachunter said:

I'm heading up next weekend going to try for bluegills and perch.I never eat ether and want to give them a try.How are the bluegills scaled and pan fried? that's how i'd like to cook them.

Bluegills are wonderful  scaled and pan fried...That is how my Grandpa did them....Scaled them gutted them, headed them , dusted them in pancake flour and fried them butter...I have  seldom eaten fish before or since that tasted that good....That skin has flavor too, and helps keep the fish moist while you are frying them...I still do a few that way every year, just for old time's sake and because they taste so good that way..

However, I can filet skin and debone a dozen in the time that it takes me to scale, gut etc. about two fish...They are also very good that way, and if you cook them on the skeletons you DO have to deal with the bones..No problem for me, because I kinda like picking the bones, but 95% of the people that I share them with would rather not deal with the bones..

So if you want to put in the effort to scale, etc. I would say go for it....They sure do taste great that way....

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Bluegills are wonderful  scaled and pan fried...That is how my Grandpa did them....Scaled them gutted them, headed them , dusted them in pancake flour and fried them butter...I have  seldom eaten fish before or since that tasted that good....That skin has flavor too, and helps keep the fish moist while you are frying them...I still do a few that way every year, just for old time's sake and because they taste so good that way..

However, I can filet skin and debone a dozen in the time that it takes me to scale, gut etc. about two fish...They are also very good that way, and if you cook them on the skeletons you DO have to deal with the bones..No problem for me, because I kinda like picking the bones, but 95% of the people that I share them with would rather not deal with the bones..

So if you want to put in the effort to scale, etc. I would say go for it....They sure do taste great that way....

Thanks I'm going to give it a shot.If i get a bunch i'll try and fillet a few.The only fish i ever scaled was bluefish for my father.If you scaled them fresh out of the water it was easy,if you waited until the died it was a pita.

3 minutes ago, rachunter said:

Thanks I'm going to give it a shot.If i get a bunch i'll try and fillet a few.The only fish i ever scaled was bluefish for my father.If you scaled them fresh out of the water it was easy,if you waited until the died it was a pita.

My favorite tool for scaling fish is a tablespoon....Don't know how well it works for bigger fish, but it works well for me on bluegills and sunfish..

My daughter-in law is Phillipino  and prefers her fish headed/scaled...I cleaned up a few bluegills for her a couple of days ago..I used my pocketknife because that was all I had with me at the time.....It worked OK, but I could have done them quicker if I had a spoon...Also, using a spoon eliminates the possibility of accidently cutting yourself...

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 1

PUUUUURTY,  Chef...Reminds me of the wild leopard rainbows that I caught on a few of my Alaska trips..

They were also the best TASTING rainbows I ever had...Never been too fond of rainbows caught here in NY and Pa, but the ones I ate in AK while moose and caribou hunting were wonderful...

Of course, given my surroundings, probably a carp would have tasted great....Hehehe...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My favorite tool for scaling fish is a tablespoon....Don't know how well it works for bigger fish, but it works well for me on bluegills and sunfish..
My daughter-in law is Phillipino  and prefers her fish headed/scaled...I cleaned up a few bluegills for her a couple of days ago..I used my pocketknife because that was all I had with me at the time.....It worked OK, but I could have done them quicker if I had a spoon...Also, using a spoon eliminates the possibility of accidently cutting yourself...

Scaling with a tablespoon takes literally 15
Seconds per fish, I did a few bluegill a couple weeks ago and 13 rock bass today. Time well spent!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

13 rock bass 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You guys eat the rock bass too? I'm going to add them to the list.I catch them like turkeyfeathers on a sheephead.

What about the pike family any good? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rachunter said:

You guys eat the rock bass too? I'm going to add them to the list.I catch them like turkeyfeathers on a sheephead.

Pike is good, I had it when I stayed in MN. Im not really sure of the others in the family though 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rachunter said:

Rock bass are pretty good. Seems like earlier in the year are better. They are more like a cross between a panfish and bass in flavor I always thought

• Like 2

Not a bad morn in the water.  Was a bit rough.  Thinking I might have figured out the trolling motor. That it was a battery issue.  It worked fine today.  Though only used it an hour as we were drifting plenty fast. It was glass to start. Wind picked up at 6 am is never a good sign . Got off the lake before 10.  Got blown off walleye spot and tucked in out of the major waves for a few Perch.  

IMG_20200606_101557817.jpg

• Like 10

Do you have an ID on the last turtle, Cynthia ?   I never saw one...Around here we have mostly snappers and painted turtles and a few softshells..I have also seen a couple of wood turtles...That one in your last picture is not any of those..

BTW...Nice pictures, Girlfriend  !!

Or is it a bog turtle?  I note the starburst pattern on the "scutes".  The DEC has a nice description and pictures of native turtles:  http://www1.dec.state.ny.us/docs/administration_pdf/turtles2.pdf

I know a biologist who studies bog turtles, they have become endangered in NYS and reside in only a few areas that they try to keep secret.  So Cynthia, you may have seen a fairly rare species!  I sent him the picture, if I get a response I will post.

Edited by jperch
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, jperch said:

Or is it a bog turtle?  I note the starburst pattern on the "scutes".  The DEC has a nice description and pictures of native turtles:  http://www1.dec.state.ny.us/docs/administration_pdf/turtles2.pdf

I know a biologist who studies bog turtles, they have become endangered in NYS and reside in only a few areas that they try to keep secret.  So Cynthia, you may have seen a fairly rare species!

I don't think so.. I never saw either one in the wild, but  looking at the pictures on the net, I'd say box turtle, due mainly to the high carapace...Also,   although there is considerable variation of coloration  in different  individuals, I have viewed several box turtles with coloration very similar to the one in Cynthia's  picture....Box turtle...I'd bet a 12 pack on it....Hehehe...

• Like 1