Live from the Water 2020

The_Real_TCIII

We picked up a bit of freezer meat up on the St Lawrence last weekend.  (17) largemouth bass ranging from 12-1/8 to 17" long, and a 14" and 16" smallmouth.

The bite on Lake of the Isles was slower than last year but Goose bay was better.  Both smallmouth and one largemouth on bucktail jig, rest on spinnerbaits and purple wacky worms. 

Also caught and released about a dozen 22" plus (legal) northern pike and another dozen shorts, with just one bite-off on the spinnerbaits. My wife does not let me keep them since a little bone-choke incident up there a few years ago.

20200803_171046.jpg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 9

Green pumpkin flake 8” I think was my GAry go to bait back in the day. You could get 20-30 bass on 1 worm sometimes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I was a fan of the 6 inch red watermelon ones. Bass would absolutely blow em apart! I thought the rigging was the dumbest shit I've ever seen. When the guy at the bait shop told us what to do with them we all thought he was bullshitting us. We did what he said and I've never caught so many fish in my life!

#LessOverzealousMods #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

Went for cats mid day in the kayaks, tried bouncing baits around bottom to no avail. I decided to throw one of my homemade inline spinners for smallies. Caught a few smallies then got trucked by something that instantly started peeling drag. After about 10 minutes I finally got a look at it, big cat! 10 minutes later another one! 9 and 13 lbs on the scale. IMG_20200806_153705412.jpgIMG_20200806_153522444.jpg

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Like 11

Went for cats mid day in the kayaks, tried bouncing baits around bottom to no avail. I decided to throw one of my homemade inline spinners for smallies. Caught a few smallies then got trucked by something that instantly started peeling drag. After about 10 minutes I finally got a look at it, big cat! 10 minutes later another one! 9 and 13 lbs on the scale. IMG_20200806_153705412.thumb.jpg.394f16af09850f44fbf9aac22771d01b.jpgIMG_20200806_153522444.thumb.jpg.5d612a3df777135d9d90cd0625d9b185.jpg

My only channel
Cat is above in this thread, TF and I each got one on in-line spinners

My only channel
Cat is above in this thread, TF and I each got one on in-line spinners

I'm not surprised by the spinners I guess, just not what I expected today! Catfish are predatory fish, not just scavengers as many assume.

• Like 1

ChrisW - are they any good eating ? We released these back 0a8b11dc807b73131820faa37cbc8d0a.jpg&key=40309f3bbcec7eb337f5e94e6d3da218362d588e14b3b5121ba8f51720cd1b94
828d389f9c464df6d6ccffb0dbc11d0f.jpg&key=491cafc24589bbae12a4fb2ef89e12e24b42e33aa85de65a48af28ed4c486b63

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think catfish is good. Sometimes they take a hair more prep work when you get them mid summer and the water is warm. I soak them in milk for a few hours before I cook them, takes the mud/water taste out. I'm going to fry up a batch tonight so I'll update the thread with results!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, chrisw said:

I think catfish is good. Sometimes they take a hair more prep work when you get them mid summer and the water is warm. I soak them in milk for a few hours before I cook them, takes the mud/water taste out. I'm going to fry up a batch tonight so I'll update the thread with results!

Not sure if it's too late or not.. 

There is a trick to cleaning catfish.. Leave 1/8"-1/4" of meat/fat on the skin when you fillet it. Then  remove that brown stripe that runs down the middle .. Bam! Delicious. Otherwise IMO not that good... 

In the past we caught a lot of catfish. We tried everything. Chowder, canning , milk , mayonaise,etc... none of it was great. Somebody showed us how to clean them and it was a game changer 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Pygmy said:

Not making the trip this morning...Two Buck Bob canceled out and I didn't feel like dealing with launching/retrieving the boat by myself...  Hoping to get together with Otto sometime next week on Skaneateles....

Rainbows?  Panfish? Walleye in there now too I hear. Good luck. Post up some pics.