Live from the Water 2020

The_Real_TCIII

2 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

How was the overall bite ? 

It seemed slow.   We got a very late start (the girls are not "early risers).   There were quite a few bass boats out there but it did not look like anyone was hooking up.   The one in the picture is the only one that we landed - looked to be about 17-1/2 inches, and we lost a couple more in the same general area.    We tried a few drifts earlier by the outer wall, between the round-house and the "comorant lighthouse", then off Smokes creek with no action whatsoever.   My favorite part was that they were not charging to put boats in at small boat harbor.  Same deal at Silver last week.  I guess there is some good in the Corona deal after all.  Thank you governor Cumo.   

• Like 2

It seemed slow.   We got a very late start (the girls are not "early risers).   There were quite a few bass boats out there but it did not look like anyone was hooking up.   The one in the picture is the only one that we landed - looked to be about 17-1/2 inches, and we lost a couple more in the same general area.    We tried a few drifts earlier by the outer wall, between the round-house and the "comorant lighthouse", then off Smokes creek with no action whatsoever.   My favorite part was that they were not charging to put boats in at small boat harbor.  Same deal at Silver last week.  I guess there is some good in the Corona deal after all.  Thank you governor Cumo.   
Wolc how was silver lake....any tips....I may head there this week.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

56 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Smallies ought to be staging to spawn.  Prob pretty shallow in gravel and sand bottoms. 

• Like 1

FINALLY! Only took me 11 months but today I took that boat I bought last year to Waneta Lake and finally had a successful shake down cruise with zero issues. Just fished for 10 minutes with nibbling perch. I wanted to spend time to more or less get used to it and learn everything. New lowrance GPS/fish finder with side scan, got the fore and aft livewells working as they should, and OMG how did I go 60 years of my life without a bow mounted trolling motor?!

Cruised around for a little more than two hours, wide open, cruising speed, trolling speed, engine ran well at all speeds. Started nice too. Just a tap of the key on a warm engine. Ready for Bass season!

57C37805-6EEA-49A8-A6BB-3F358AE64B72.jpeg

0486E1F3-398A-4769-948B-39796AA0CCA1.jpeg

• Like 16

FINALLY! Only took me 11 months but today I took that boat I bought last year to Waneta Lake and finally had a successful shake down cruise with zero issues. Just fished for 10 minutes with nibbling perch. I wanted to spend time to more or less get used to it and learn everything. New lowrance GPS/fish finder with side scan, got the fore and aft livewells working as they should, and OMG how did I go 60 years of my life without a bow mounted trolling motor?!
Cruised around for a little more than two hours, wide open, cruising speed, trolling speed, engine ran well at all speeds. Started nice too. Just a tap of the key on a warm engine. Ready for Bass season!
57C37805-6EEA-49A8-A6BB-3F358AE64B72.thumb.jpeg.f6d2d21e489944c0c390c4a319cb290e.jpeg
0486E1F3-398A-4769-948B-39796AA0CCA1.thumb.jpeg.f32965741f3f66babf3165291e7a8eac.jpeg
Nice rig....glad you finally got her in the water.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steuben Jerry said:

57C37805-6EEA-49A8-A6BB-3F358AE64B72.jpeg

0486E1F3-398A-4769-948B-39796AA0CCA1.jpeg

There ya go!  Need to have those kinda days.  Good to see you out on the water. 

• Like 1

Went out on the Erie Canal at the Amherst NY boat launch today with the Mrs......the water was absolutely disgusting.  I don't know WTF but suspect due to heavy rain the other night, the Town of Amherst sewage treatment plant had to unload some excess material??  Gross is too pleasant.........

• Sad 1

Did Chef, AT, and Crappy fish this weekend? I can’t figure out the @ anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Well, Chef, AT and Crappy stood side by side waiting to fish the west Branch. Nymped for a few hours waiting for risers. Just as they started to rise we got crushed with a dump of rain. Moved to another pool and rarely saw a rise. Anti-climatic but it will be good real soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Did Chef, AT, and Crappy fish this weekend? I can’t figure out the @ anymore

We saw more deer than trout lol. The best part was me and crappy being belly deep in the current and hearing the rain coming down the mountain...we didnt get back to shore in time. Still a great time out and we will be back at them some time soon

• Like 3

4 hours ago, mlammerhirt said:

Wolc how was silver lake....any tips....I may head there this week.

Silver lake was slow last week.  The water was still very cold and we did not see any signs of any fish in the shallows.  With the warm weather we have been getting the last few days, I think the action there should be picking up.  Usually the pike bite along the edge of the weeds in the north and south ends is pretty good.   My favorite bait there for those toothy critters is a jig and minnow.   The water is usually very clear and I always have more luck "doubling" up my last foot or so of mono or flourocarbon line rather than using steel leaders.   The lack of fees for launching is nice,  at the state parks.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

Went out on the Erie Canal at the Amherst NY boat launch today with the Mrs......the water was absolutely disgusting.  I don't know WTF but suspect due to heavy rain the other night, the Town of Amherst sewage treatment plant had to unload some excess material??  Gross is too pleasant.........

The water was bad in the Black Rock canal today also.  It looked to be full of mud, flowing in from the Buffalo River, probably due to lots of rain over the last week.   Lake Erie was generally clear however, with about 20 feet of visibility. We only spent about 10 minutes in the muddy water of the canal before heading back out on the the lake.    

Edited by wolc123

57C37805-6EEA-49A8-A6BB-3F358AE64B72.thumb.jpeg.f6d2d21e489944c0c390c4a319cb290e.jpeg
0486E1F3-398A-4769-948B-39796AA0CCA1.thumb.jpeg.f32965741f3f66babf3165291e7a8eac.jpeg
Cheers to the shakedown going well !! Glad to hear !

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Didnt get any pics as i was captain, and fishing but last night off chautauqua we got a total of 16 fish, 5 were walleye, 2 were keepers. Lots of rock bass and a few white bass. Now trying to get things straightened up with the boat and gear for the southtowns walleye tourny. It will be my first time fishing it, hope the weather will cooperate.

• Like 1

Pretty fish...….There used to be a phenomenal pike fishery on Seneca  Lake.....There was a time not too many years ago when a couple of guys might catch 15-30 pike in a morning, and 10+ pounders were not rare...

That fishery has since declined, along with the perch, bass and trout, for reasons that I am not sure anyone understands...

• Like 1

Pygmy The southern end of Owasco Lake has become a bit of a hotspot for big northerns and walleye guys pull him out of the ice down there northerns up to 20 pounds walleyes 8 to 10.  Seneca has some really good fishing where the Keuka inlet Flows into Seneca used stand on the shore there and throw stones in the spring and catch 15 to 20 trial today Brown’s and Lakers good times

2 minutes ago, Lomax said:

Pygmy The southern end of Owasco Lake has become a bit of a hotspot for big northerns and walleye guys pull him out of the ice down there northerns up to 20 pounds walleyes 8 to 10.  Seneca has some really good fishing where the Keuka inlet Flows into Seneca used stand on the shore there and throw stones in the spring and catch 15 to 20 trial today Brown’s and Lakers good times

The key words here are  "used to".....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I’d love to catch a big pike. Only pickerel by me

They are fun.  My favorite part is the strike.  There is no missing that, and sometimes it is so violent that they just about tear the rod out of your hand.  I used to fish for them a lot more but my wife is troubled by the bones in the meat.   I tried to get most of them out when filleting but it seems that she always manages to find a few.   

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I’d love to catch a big pike. Only pickerel by me

The Seneca River and Cross Lake and Owasco Lake hold big northerns and walleye.  Lake Ontario has some huge walleye and the bays hold huge pike.  Oneida has a lot of walleyes too.  People catch 10lb walleye now in Oswego river w decent regularity.  We used to set up pike camp on the Seneca River back in the early 90s good times miss them. 

• Like 1