Live from the Water 2020

The_Real_TCIII

24 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

A group of locals from down here in Dogpatch  used to go up to a Grass Lake every Memorial Day weekend, rent  a fleabag cottage and fish for spawning bluegills..They always caught buckets full of slab bluegills...I am wondering if it was the same lake...What's the nearest town ?  A couple of the old farts are still alive and I may be able to get some info from them..  I never made the trip myself, but wish I had....

Rosie, Theresa,Oxbow, Redwood. All within roughly 10- 20 miles around it.

Between all of them I dont think there is 5000 people.lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pygmy said:

Who's the slim, good looking young stud on the left ?

That's fishing buddy Ed.  Went to college with his son.  Great guy.  Was all worried when my buddy said his Dad was coming to visit and of course he didn't say a word as I am cleaning the place and hiding the beer bottles.  His dad came in carrying a beer ball and loved fishing. Yeah we got along just great!

The other guy is me 10 years and 45 pounds ago. Lol. 

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Fletch said:

When I was young and very dumb about 30 years ago. We would canoe out to the end of the rocks all broken up. Tie up the canoe and get on the rocks and cast Rapallas for walleyes in May in the middle of the night with waves crashing into you. We use to clean up on the eyes!

A million years ago you used to be able to walk all out around it but it's all broken up now.  My Dad every Fri night would stop at Vernon downs play all the races, then go get a limit of eyes off there. Then go and collect any winning tickets later.  Like clockwork. 

I live about 300 yards from there and clean up there on occasion in the fall at night.  PB for a limit is 18 minutes. Lol

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

Lake erie vs NYC reservoirs LOL. I'll be out Easter morning for first run of 2020 if weather stays decent. One of my favorite times of the year. 

So you think dirty water fish taste better than clean water fish? I’ve never heard that before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, Otto said:

@Robhuntandfish  I looked at Oneida Diehards and some of the people are saying State Launches will be open, since there is no “face to face” like at a pay marina.  Hopefully that is true! 

Sure am hoping so.  The nation ones aren't face to face either, just put $ in a box.  I always pay for the whole year at once.  

Hope thats true. But not seeing any exception for that on the state recreation list. I don't see them allowing it. I think they just look at it like these big Marina's that are full of people all the time and just made a blanket decision. 

I actually don't fish much til 2nd week in May usually and am really hoping it opens up by then. 

Yes

Wow that’s an interesting take. I know some say saltwater fish taste “Briney” if that’s a word. But never heard of a fish species tasting better from lower quality water.

Just to clarify, nyc Rez’s aren’t in nyc. They are in Hudson valley and Catskills. 50-150 miles north of nyc. No houses can runoff into them. No motors allowed, etc. continuous water treatment measures are in place.

• Like 1

Lol in reality I would think perch from erie taste very similar to perch from a reservoir. As far as nutrition or lack there of I have no clue. I only have a few perch meals out of erie or anywhere for that matter. 

For some reason rainbows in NY, CT never taste nearly as good to me as the ones in Colorado. I always attributed it to cleaner/colder water

1 minute ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

For some reason rainbows in NY, CT never taste nearly as good to me as the ones in Colorado. I always attributed it to cleaner/colder water

PCB's and Dioxin make everything taste better out of the great lakes duh.:taunt:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Isn’t that what Coors light claims about their beer ? The water of Colorado makes it taste better. I call shenanigans, I’d rather drink an ipa brewed with Buffalo canal water 

• Like 2

They are calling for 15-30 mph wind today. Pretty calm out right now. Let’s see what the wind is doing after my class today (Kung Fu in the park, invitation only, group of 5, 15-20 ft distance, forms only: Siu Lum Tao, Chum Qu, Moi Fa, Dandao (broadsword)). I hope the wind stays calm so I can get out on the lake. There are schoolie stripers in the bay, but I have been stuck on trying for trout. Need to catch some so I can move on lol. John boat is ship shape, got a new ultra light and some lures....now I need some trout. Need to kill the skunk.   

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

we checked it out but didnt fish it.  If i remember it was real small.  We hit millsite, hyde, sixberry, red, lake of the woods, butterfield, moon and clear.  Lake of the woods was supposed to have trout and landlocks in it.  I fished it for 6 hours trolling and never caught a trout but got small northerns and bass.  We got some nice walleye out of sixberry though. But we sure had to work for them.  

My in-laws always rented an old off-the-grid camp on Red lake for a couple long weekends each fall (once in September and once in October).  The bass fishing was great there for smallmouth and largemouth.  I also took a few walleyes thru the years (including one nice 7-pounder), although I seldom targeted them.  My wife and I were married on the third Saturday in June and we rented that camp for our honeymoon week that year (makes it real easy for me to remember our wedding date every year).  We caught lots of largemouth in the Indian river, on the stretch between Red lake and Theresa, many of them in the 20" class.  I took my 17 foot walleye-type boat on that trip.  It works ok as a bass boat, with a front trolling motor and casting deck, especially in the river where the wind can't blow it around too bad.     

On the fall trips, I mostly used the little 12 foot row-boats that were kept at the camp, with either my 15 hp Johnson, or an old 1950's Mercury K-5, the last few years that we went.   There was often guys in big, fancy bass boats fishing the weedbed on the end of the lake where the river entered.   I never seen them catch much, but they always watched closely as I was bringing in big fat largemouth and smallies and clipping them onto the stringer of my antique, beat-up boat/motor rig.   I got to know that lake very well over the years, and it rarely took me over an hour to get my limit each morning.

There was also some good deer hunting in that area.  About half the years, our October weekend fell on opening week of rifle season, and the other half it was early ML season.  It took me longer to figure the deer out than it did the fish, but I had that down pretty good by our last year up there (around 2012), and was finally able to take a nice doe with my ML.   It was so remote in the spot I hunted up there, that it seemed like that doe may not have had any idea what a hunter was.  After she took my shot behind the shoulder, she walked closer and just stared at me (from about 10 yards away), until her knees began to buckle and she fell over, and slid down a steep cliff.

The key to the hunting was finding the oaks.  On that last September trip, I was out in the little row-boat one morning, fishing a remote stretch of lake shore and I heard a deer snorting up on a hill-top.   On the October trip, I was up on that hill-top with my ML on opening day when the sun came up, followed closely by a group of 6-7 antlerless deer, led by that big doe.   The other deer just stood there watching in disbelief, as their leader staggered and tumbled over the edge of the ridge.  

A convenient thing about that was (unknown to me at the time), the winding gravel road that led to our rented camp was down at the base of that cliff.   That made for a very easy recovery.   I will never forget walking into the cabin (with the warm heart in a zip-lock bag), as the family was eating breakfast that morning, and asking my father in law if I could borrow his ATV.   My sister in law was unimpressed, especially after she finished jogging around the gut-pile later that morning.         

• Like 2

1 hour ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Isn’t that what Coors light claims about their beer ? The water of Colorado makes it taste better. I call shenanigans, I’d rather drink an ipa brewed with Buffalo canal water 

There used to be a picture of a waterfall on the old Coors light cans.   My buddies (who I went on a Colorado elk / deer hunt with one year long ago) told me that was fish creek falls in the Steamboat springs area.  That may or may not be true, but for years after (until they changed the can/logo design) I would point out to drinking buddies, the spot on the can where I killed my mule deer. That was certainly one epic drag thru those mountains.       

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

But that’s why colorado had so many microbreweries right? Here in the east, filtering the water is a big expense for breweries.

Sure am hoping so.  The nation ones aren't face to face either, just put $ in a box.  I always pay for the whole year at once.  
Hope thats true. But not seeing any exception for that on the state recreation list. I don't see them allowing it. I think they just look at it like these big Marina's that are full of people all the time and just made a blanket decision. 
I actually don't fish much til 2nd week in May usually and am really hoping it opens up by then. 
I asked my buddy who is an Oswego county ECO and he hadn't been made aware of boat launch closures yet. So I'm hoping it's mostly a scare tactic.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Took a drive today and saw the trout streams in Somers (Westchester) were absolutely packed. No parking spots left, tons of guys lined up fly fishing. Also the crappie spot on muscoot Rez was packed too

Just now, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Took a drive today and saw the trout streams in Somers (Westchester) were absolutely packed. No parking spots left, tons of guys lined up fly fishing. Also the crappie spot on muscoot Rez was packed too

This is why we are getting our launches and public places closed . People not bright enough to keep socially distanced... I fished all day yesterday.. had to move from 1 spot when someone tried being to close ..lol.. told him to stand down and moved onto a different one.. lol.. Though, I may be luckier than most in that I have practically an unlimited supply of uncrowded lakes and rivers .IDK.

I have so far avoided going out with anybody but gf and kid...I'm thinking of going next week with a buddy. Seems like if we drive separately and stay at other ends of my 17' boat we should be safe? Besides . Both of us haven't seen a soul except for immediate family in 2 weeks for him and 1 for me..

• Like 1

I couldn't stand the sitting inside any longer and went out for some fresh crappies. It was a little chilly and took a little searching for them. But after a half hour I was on them good with little jigs tipped with a piece of night crawler. I kept six for a little fresh fish fry for supper.

I thought they would be shallower, but found them on a little drop off that goes from 8 to 12 feet pretty quickly. They were apparently stacked pretty good because it was literally like shooting fish in a barrel. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, coonhunter said:

I couldn't stand the sitting inside any longer and went out for some fresh crappies. It was a little chilly and took a little searching for them. But after a half hour I was on them good with little jigs tipped with a piece of night crawler. I kept six for a little fresh fish fry for supper.

I thought they would be shallower, but found them on a little drop off that goes from 8 to 12 feet pretty quickly. They were apparently stacked pretty good because it was literally like shooting fish in a barrel. 

Nice!. Like I said"I fished all day yesterday" struck out though..