Prefered Bow

beachpeaz

I just started bow hunting 3 years ago and have an old bow. I am looking into purchasing a new one. What is everyones opinion of the bows you use? I hear a lot about Matthews, but just cuz they advertise a lot doesnt' mean it is the best bow available. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

The best way to pick a new bow is to go out to as many different shops as you can and shoot all different makes and models, then choose the one that feels best to you.

Personally, I shoot a Hoyt Maxxis, its a great bow for me. I made the mistake of buying a bow I had never shot in the past, and was never quite happy with it. I shot a bunch of bows before I bought the Hoyt.

Thats probably what I will end up doing, thanks. Was curious what other people used. WNYBuckHunter, i assume by your name you are from WNY. What bow shops do you use? There doesnt' seem to be very good choices around here. I have used Doc's On Niagara Falls Blvd in Tonawanda (if you know the area, WNY is obvioulsy a big space) but they have not ever treated me very well.

I agree with WNY completely as well. But if u are looking for personal opinions......u will see that everybody here will have one as they well should being that no 2 people are alike. But on the same note, I have shit PSE (2), Browning, and now am shooting a new Alpine. Personally I am disappointed in the Alpine and should have stuck to PSE. It is also going to depend on budzget as well. If u only want to buy one and have it be a high $$ one, I would go with Elite over Matthews. Mainly Because they are local (Henrietta outside Rochester) and from what I have heard, customer service is unprecedented along with the warranty. Just my 2cents

And BTW, I am also in WNY and can give u some advice on who not to go to but will only do that in a pm as I don't want to put anyone down here in the open. Just had a bad experience with the one I am talking about. Good luck stay safe

I shoot a matthews switchback XT and love it, matthews in my opinion are top quality bows, their technology and inovations are always in the forefront. One could not go wrong with buying one, on the flipside they are pricey. Like everyone has mentioned and like I did when I was in the market is to try different bows and go with what feels best for YOU.

Many bow shops to choose from here in WNY: Niagara Outdoors, Bison, Doc's, Nick's, Little Ridge etc. I'm sure there are others I forgot also.

Hit all of them, see who has the best selection and start fondling 'em.

I've dealt with all of the above shops in one way or another and all are very competent. Inventory selection will be the key.

I've shot a lot of bows in the past 25 years. Before you buy anything, shoot an Elite. Whichever model you shoot it will sell itself.

I shoot a Bowtech Guardian now but will be in the market for a left over Elite Hunter after the season is over.

Many great choices in bows these days. Pretty difficult to make a bad move!

Edited by Lawdwaz

I have been hunting with the bow ( my favorite time of year ) for a dozen years or so, had a bunch of bows over the years, for the last 4 I've had a mathews ultra max, 320+fps ( 70#,30") and have absolutely loved it. It's about 10 yrs old but is as fast and quiet as the new stuff. Had a new string put on last month and about 20 arrows later my top limb " de-lamented " or iny words, my bow blew up in my hands, at full draw. Thankfully I made it out without a scratch. Being that it was a week before season, I freaked out and almost had a panic attack when mathews said they wouldn't be able to make my limbs for me for " a few weeks ". Well that wasn't good enough for me. Even though I haven't shot a deer with the bow till late Oct at the earliest I needed to be ready for opening day ! Called in all my bday and Christmas presents from my fam for the next 10 years and got the Elite Pulse. I can't lie, the z7 mathews felt better but the accuracy, speed and mainly warranty was an easy sell for me. I also like that I'm supporting fellow new yorkers ! The bow is sweet. My favorite thing to so is set up targets @ 50 yards and drill heart sized groups all day long. Very happy with it and it really seems well built. I go to S&S in springville and always get treated well, and they have been very patient with me through out this whole process.

Being comfortable is key, but there are other things to consider IMO. I think if u practice enough with any bow u become comfortable. Shoot them all and do your research. Good luck !

Oh, and if your interested my mathews will be for sale, its older but will be brand new except for the riser. New string, new limbs, fast quiet and light.... and less than half the price of a new one !

There are a lot of excellent bow manufacturers out there . Don't get caught up with a specific brand . i have a Pearson TX-4 and a Parker Phoenix EZ draw . They are both great bows . Find a bow that feels good in your hands and try it out . Also having a dealer close by helps .

I've shot a lot of bows in the past 25 years. Before you buy anything, shoot an Elite. Whichever model you shoot it will sell itself.

I have to agree. The draw on the Elite's is so smooth. The backwall is unbelievable. Quiet, no hand shock, and there camo finish's are awesome. Can't beat their waranty and customer service either!

Definitely come up with a price range that is good for you. You can get a lot of nice bows fully equipped for under $500. I went and shot a bunch of different bows and ended up picking a Diamond Black Ice FLX last year. I shot Hoyt the previous 12 years and loved every bow I had, but the Diamond seemed to draw a lot smoother to me. Like WNY said, the best thing to do is get out and shoot a lot of different bows.

There is a lot of great bows out there. Pretty hard to say which is "best". I shoot Mathews now and like it. But think I am going back to a 2 cam system next year. I think the first one I will try is an Elite. I just prefer the valley on a 2 cam.

I you like Mathews a lower priced alternative is Mission Archery. They are made and designed by Mathews.

Keep one thing in mind pro shop dealer support from the manufacturer is sometimes important.

Ask your dealer how they support them with quick parts delivery etc. Most will tell you Mathews breaks their butt to support their dealer. And I am sure it helps Elites headquarters are here in Rochester. It stinks when you need a part and cant get one very quick.

Edited by doulos

Wow, thanks everyone. That is a lot of good information. I definitely plan on finishing the season with my current bow and will be shopping before next season rolls around. I will just go hit the shops and play with the bows. I just wasn't sure if the brand really mattered or not and it, for the most part, seems like it doesn't. I was leaning towards a Matthews bow, but will try them all. Thanks again!

Definitely need to try them out. Everyone is different.

After all was said and done, I have a love affair with my Elite Z28. It's just a downright pleasure to shoot and hunt with. I shot Hoyt and PSE for years before that...but my Elite is in the driver's seat now.

Thats probably what I will end up doing, thanks. Was curious what other people used. WNYBuckHunter, i assume by your name you are from WNY. What bow shops do you use? There doesnt' seem to be very good choices around here. I have used Doc's On Niagara Falls Blvd in Tonawanda (if you know the area, WNY is obvioulsy a big space) but they have not ever treated me very well.

Yep, Im from WNY, about 1/2 hour south of Rochester theough. I use Bullzeye Archery in Bloomfield. Would be a long drive for you though lol.

Think everyone knows you'll go broke trying to keep up with the latest & greatest bow.

IMHO - Familiarity is the key.

If you have a decent bow, are really comfortable shooting it, experimented with arrows/broadheads & get decent accuracy - it's a keeper!

I had an Archery Research (PSE) that filled all the above requirements.

God knows why I splurged on a new BowTech. Two years & still not where I was with old bow.

sounds like set up issues NYslowhand. My Bowtech was a great bow. I have had Bear....Proline....Bowtech and now in a Hoyt Element.....Comfort is the key to the choice you make....shoot a lot of bows. If you go into a proshop and they are hesitent to work with you to let you shoot everything in site...go somewhere else....if that is the service when you want to buy imagine how bad it will be after the money has changed hands. A shop in Henrittta lost a sale for just that reason with me.

I am betting you could do very well on price after the season.

You have to remember also some shops are only dealers for a couple of brands of bows. That doesent mean they are a bad shop. It just means they dont carry every brand. Call around and see who carries what and go shoot them. Dont be afaid to take notes so you remember what you liked and disliked about a brand or model. Remember a fully set up bow with sights,quiver and rest isnt going to be a cheap purchase. So take your time