Fly Fishing Gear

Moho81

I have been out of the fly fishing game for a good long while maybe 10+ years and @Nytracker thread on fly tying has me wanting to break out my gear and get into again. Everything I own is budget friendly. I have a Cabelas rod that I used for steelhead and a 4 piece light weight travel rod that I used for trout. All my fly's where either tied by myself or by my friends that got me into the sport. 

Question I wonder is would I have to replace all my line because it's old and its been wrapped around a reel sitting in a case for decade? I assume it would be coiled up and would not lie flat on the water like it's suppose to but I could be completely wrong. 

Besides Cabelas where else can you get fly fishing gear from nowadays? On-line? 

I'm sure I have forgotten a ton about whats needed to be successful but that's OK. 

I would replace the line. Chances are it’s a little stiff and line technology has improved incredibly over the last decade.i would also replace leaders and tippet which have an even shorter shelf life  I replace my mono tippet every year.

Cabelas is fine but there are a thousand other online or B&M shops to buy gear. Considering all that’s going on, this might be a good opportunity to support a local fly shop. For $100 you should be able to get a new line, leader and tippet.

if you want to support an NY manufacturer, take a look at Cortland. I use some of their lines - their DT Peach is a favourite. They are a storied NY fly-fishing brand and well worth your support.

Good luck.

I would strip off  6feet of fly line  to start with ... clean it with dawn detergent . Dry it with a soft cloth  .  Look at it and see if its checked or cracked. Also look for Nick's or tares in the coating   If it's not do the same with the entire line .  When its dry  dress it with a quality  line dressing . If its stiff enough to crack scrap it .  Coil memory is nothing  let the line  warm and  gently pull the line tight every few feet  it will relax straight. I'm fishing lines that are going on 20 years old . Leader is a no brainer  should be new every couple trips .

Lines can be had any wheres. Cortland peach 444 is a great line . I'm fond of orvis  lines. I  have some older sage lines . Rio makes great lines also   I prefer a weight forward  line for most of my fishing . Tiny streams I like a double taper line . When one side gets beat up turn it around and all good .

I use almost all  cabelas leaders . For the price they are great . I buy them by the 4 packs . They use to be made by climax lines. Not sure who makes them  now . Tippet material  I use mostly orvis. Some of the others just arent stiff enough tend to kink and twist . I hate frog hair products .

Hope this helps .

So I dug everything out of the garage and besides needing new leaders and maybe tippet line I think I’m pretty good to go. Oh I will also need some trout flies as I have mostly steelhead flies left. I’m pretty stoked and hopefully I get to hit the streams this year.

763d6e6c74737da12b11f45488072788.jpg
b249841d6f6770e99388b069876f9b4c.jpg
0ed5de59d116f96cacac331e3dc77981.jpg
8be76551e261e5f8b7f24ed123f766a3.jpg
1bc17f19578dd781cb99cb9b1de48d1e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Great post Jay....I am dusting mine off tomorrow as well.

Have a large arbor orvis reel and I believe man 8/9 wt. Rod that I chased stealhead with many years ago.

What's a good setup for stream trout?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

From what little I remember for trout in small streams you want either a 4 or 5 weight rod with it being between 7.5 and 8.5 feet.

Of course it’s all a matter of what exactly you are fishing and where.

Perhaps we can hook up and chase some trout together. Of course a reasonable social distance

• Like 1

Don’t forget to say these two words 
Dream Team.

Def let "the Hawk" know that the Dream Team sent ya.... You won't regret it

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

I feel like this is some sort of hazing

• Like 1

I've only caught one striped bass about ten years ago,but have been trying freshwater fly fishing for around 5 years with no luck.Any way every spring I hook the line to a tree and walk it back off the reel and hook the other end to another tree and let it hang in the sun for a few hours then reel it back in.Thats how the guy that set me up told me to get the line ready.The line on my 9wt. is over 15 years old and still good to go.

Good luck even though I never caught anything its a lot of fun trying.

On 3/26/2020 at 10:20 PM, mlammerhirt said:

I use a 7’ 2wt or 9’ 4wt for trout depending on stream size. I’ll up that to a 9’ 6wt if I want to throw streamers.

Leaders are consistently 9’ 5x but I cut off the three feet of tippet and tie a perfection loop in the leader which allows me to do a loop-to-loop connection with new tippet.

A half dozen flies - elks hair caddis, parachute adams, pheasant tail nymph, red copper John, wooly bugger, and whatever strikes your fancy. 

Good to go. 

• Like 1

On 3/26/2020 at 10:20 PM, mlammerhirt said:

Great post Jay....I am dusting mine off tomorrow as well.

Have a large arbor orvis reel and I believe man 8/9 wt. Rod that I chased stealhead with many years ago.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I have more rods than I need  every thing in between a 1 wt up to a 8 wt 13' spey rod .

Hard to predict what rod will work for you .  Depends on the stream size  and conditions .

Most of my small stream 15‐30 ' fishing smaller trout under 20 inches is done with an 8'6" 3wt. I fish up a size or two depending  on higher flows. 

A good all round rod for most streams and bass fishing is 9' 5 wt. 

I have a 10' 4 wt I use for check nymphing . Small Brooks I use a 5'6" 2 wt. Or a 7 '1 wt

I have been thinning  the herd  recently. I realize  I have collected more rods than I really need or use. Just sold  3  new,  like new glass fenwick rods  made a tidy little profit on . Dont  catch that bug . 

• Like 2

I have a 3wt, 5/6, 7 and 10wt. I find myself using the 3wt for stocked trout and big gills in June. Unavoidably I hook into some big bass while using bluegill poppers and it actually annoys you because it takes 15 minutes to land the damn things. If I'm targeting bass I usually reach for the 7wt. The 5/6 works too but for big smallies it's a bit undergunned. The 10wt is for chucking long streamers at pike/tigers. I'll probably use it here and there for salmon too.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

This newfound euronymphing has me
In the market for a 10’ rod

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This is one project that stalled for over a year. Waiting on some rod epoxy and a new dryer20200329_162353.thumb.jpg.f8ae6ddc22f0b7aa35dac33a9d5e840e.jpg

wraps will darken when epoxied. Made the grip myself.  Custom fit for my hands.20200329_162415.thumb.jpg.f28eb5512cc97aeed00606ab6e3ee41b.jpg

Amboya burl insert in the reel seat.

• Like 3

That sounds like some sort of Deliverance or pulp fiction reference

Pulp Fiction offering a fantastic response to anyone who ever asks you, “what now?”

Marsellus:
What now? Let me tell you what now. I'ma call a coupla hard, pipe-hittin' n*ggers, who'll go to work on the homes here with a pair of pliers and a blow torch. You hear me talkin', hillbilly boy? I ain't through with you by a damn sight. I'ma get medieval on your ass.

• Like 2

This is one project that stalled for over a year. Waiting on some rod epoxy and a new dryer20200329_162353.thumb.jpg.f8ae6ddc22f0b7aa35dac33a9d5e840e.jpg
wraps will darken when epoxied. Made the grip myself.  Custom fit for my hands.20200329_162415.thumb.jpg.f28eb5512cc97aeed00606ab6e3ee41b.jpg
Amboya burl insert in the reel seat.

Please send for field testing before the hendricksons come off

Pulp Fiction offering a fantastic response to anyone who ever asks you, “what now?”

Marsellus:
What now? Let me tell you what now. I'ma call a coupla hard, pipe-hittin' n*ggers, who'll go to work on the homes here with a pair of pliers and a blow torch. You hear me talkin', hillbilly boy? I ain't through with you by a damn sight. I'ma get medieval on your ass.

I am pretty effing far from Ok.