Damm ticks....

mowin

Wife working from home, so I decided to social distance and take down some deer netting at a clients property.  Wasn't even near the woods.  Couple trees and some shrubs around the house.  2 hrs of work, and 5 ticks crawling on me.  Think it's going to be a very bad yr. 

Edited by mowin
  • Sad 3

3 hours ago, mowin said:

Wife working from home, so I decided to social distance and take down some deer netting at a clients property.  Wasn't even near the woods.  Couple trees and some shrubs around the house.  2 hrs of work, and 5 ticks crawling on me.  Think it's going to be a very bad yr. 

Buy a Rynoskin undergarment for good protection from the little bastards.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, crappyice said:

Sounds like even your work clothes need a splash of permethrin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I usually do once mowing starts. Lot of weed wacking near stone walls, fence lines ECT.  It's the first time in many years I've seen so many crawling on me when in lawn areas this early in the yr. 

• Like 2

Been outside all the time, no ticks whatsoever, so far.   I have chickens, free range, I believe they have alot to do with no ticks.   Couple of years ago, did find one on my cat,  my two dogs, none so far.  But always keeping an eye out for the little shits.  My guinea hens help keep the bugs down, also.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Los Lobos said:

Been outside all the time, no ticks whatsoever, so far.   I have chickens, free range, I believe they have alot to do with no ticks.   Couple of years ago, did find one on my cat,  my two dogs, none so far.  But always keeping an eye out for the little shits.  My guinea hens help keep the bugs down, also.

I second Bill's experience. A friend of mine has free range birds. Lots of birds. A few different types of chickens and others. No ticks or bugs to speak of anywhere near the house, garden or barns.

I realized one day at his place he gets free pest control, fresh eggs and chicken marsala out of the deal. Win for everybody I guess lol. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Right!- Guinea Hens. My Brother in law down the road in Campbell Hall has a Noisy Flock visit his Lawn everyday from a Farm down the Road. They eat all the pests- including Deer Ticks.
Can you still eat the hens and chickens now that they have possibly eaten lyme infected ticks?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Saywers works ok.. but for someone that spends alot of time outdoors theres better and cheaper options.  Martins 10% permethrin dilluted down to whatever % you want is by far a cheaper option.. i do alot of beagle training all year long and have never found a tick on myself since using it.  I mix a hotter solution than Sawyers and spray my clothes every time the nite before i hit the field for training.  As for the dogs advantix and seresto collars suck for feild/working dogs.  All my beagles wear a purple Python cattle tag year round

7 hours ago, Chromeslayer said:

Saywers works ok.. but for someone that spends alot of time outdoors theres better and cheaper options.  Martins 10% permethrin dilluted down to whatever % you want is by far a cheaper option.. i do alot of beagle training all year long and have never found a tick on myself since using it.  I mix a hotter solution than Sawyers and spray my clothes every time the nite before i hit the field for training.  As for the dogs advantix and seresto collars suck for feild/working dogs.  All my beagles wear a purple Python cattle tag year round

What is this python cattle tag?  

I don't agree with @mowin on much,but i am afraid he is spot on with the tick prediction.

After scouting state land in January when we had a few days of 40+ degrees i picked around 50 ticks of my dog and me. I never experienced anything like that before. A few days ago i went for a walk with friends in some open hardwoods and the dog had 5 ticks had had two on me. 

This will be the worst year ever as far as ticks go.

18 hours ago, TACC said:

Can you still eat the hens and chickens now that they have possibly eaten lyme infected ticks?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The chickens dont get the lyme diseased ticks in their bloodstream,the get them in their digestive system. Those are separate and the lyme disease gets broken down like everything else that goes through there.