Activ Slugs

Any love for the no longer produced Activ slugs? Pretty much the only slug I've ever hunted with. About 10 years ago, right as I was about to finish my last couple of boxes, an auction in New Harmony, IN had a bunch. I came home with all they had, about 75 rounds. I'm down to my last 40, and will probably shed a tear when the last one goes down the barrel.

I should probably just hang onto a box for pure nostalgia sake.

MVIMG_20200326_211957.jpg

• Like 1

They were a pretty cool concept. Tried them a couple of years when they came out. Biggest issue I had was how the rim got beat up by my guns with all the loading and unloading. Once they got chewed up a bit by the extractor, we had a couple that didn't grab. Had to pay attention to how you loaded them in so when they cycled you had a good rim for it to grab.  They shot very very well for us. 

• Like 1

Are they a foster type slug? Or a sabot type?

Back before 4H became a rifle WMU. We killed a whole lot of deer with the Remington Copper Sabots, out of our Ithaca Deerslayer II shotguns.

An accurate and deadly combination.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2020 at 1:14 PM, grampy said:

Are they a foster type slug? Or a sabot type?

Back before 4H became a rifle WMU. We killed a whole lot of deer with the Remington Copper Sabots, out of our Ithaca Deerslayer II shotguns.

An accurate and deadly combination.

It's a foster style. I've killed deer with them out of both an 1100 and my current A5. They've always performed well for me. Illinois was a shotgun only state (outside of ML and handgun) so slug guns take plenty of deer each year back home.

• Like 1

Loved the 1 oz, the lighter slugs seemed to blow apart. Took quite a few deer out of a mossberg 500 with them, used them when I couldn't afford breneke original.. now I'm fully stocked on breneke and use a rifle most of the time...lol

• Like 1

Killed a few deer with Activ slugs, they were all over back in the day. Every so often I will stumble upon an old Activ shell casing in the woods, I always admire it for some unexplainable reason. Guess I'm reminiscing...

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

From Minnesota,

I still use the Activ  slugs  to this day. Absolutely love them. Bought all I could locally about 12 years ago along with any Turkey loads I could find.

1 shot only needed for almost every deer I have taken. Mossberg 500 with rifled, ported barrel and integral scope mount. zero out to 70 yards

The 3" turkey loads are insane for the day. they are loaded HOT . I think as much as a 3 1/2 shell. when the day comes that I run out, I will research and switch over to the higher tech Turkey loads produced today. ( with the rate of also 1 turkey per shot, it won't be for a while!)

• Like 1