Longbeard XR vs Cabela's choke tubes

UpStateRedNeck

12 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

I may have missed something, but what sighting system are you using  ?   Obviously you need to adjust it  so that  your pattern is at point of aim...Shooting a little high  is  easier to compensate for than shooting low..All of my Brownings have patterned high when I aim them deliberately as when shooting at a standing turkey, but I learned to hold where the neck joins the body and did fine with them..Shooting low is worse because your bead is covering up your target...Either go to an optical sighting system or an open  sight that is fully adjustable...

I agree.   Shooting low is tuff to compensate for.  

Hard to completely cover up the birds head and let her rip. 

• Thanks 1

I have used single beads, double beads, adjustable fiber optic open sights, red dots and a low power scope...

I  liked the double bead a lot, and I have a Rem 1100 with double beads that shoots nuts on to point of aim that I still use sometimes...Tried the red dots and did not care for them, but a lot of guys love 'em...My favorite sighting system of all time was a set of rib mounted adjustable fiber optic sights.. I think they were truglo, and if I screwed up on the first shot I  they worked as well as the bead on running or flying birds...Finally my eyes got bad enough that I am not that confident with open sights, so I mounted a low power Leupold scope on my 11-87...It's been working well ( 6 shots for 6 gobblers in the last 2 years), but I wouldn't want to take a running or flying shot with it...

• Like 3

I just ordered another pair of sights, with adjustable height.  I'm just not comfortable shooting low like that.  I like my aim point to be right where the head meets the neck.

TRUGLO TRUBEAD Universal Series 3 Dot Sights for Ventilated Rib Shotguns https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004Z5C4KK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_83ETEb3AX3GWQ

• 2 weeks later...

Feeling more confident now.  Got 40 rounds of Winchester XX #5 from able Ammo, and tweaked it so it's little high at 20, and right in at 30.  Not much drop from 30 to 40 either, still really good coverage.  Pic is of 40 yards.  I may have run out of cardboard recently.IMG_20200519_165449.thumb.jpg.8a8295f8343b9d1d5475d9d18e7487ea.jpg

24 minutes ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Feeling more confident now.  Got 40 rounds of Winchester XX #5 from able Ammo, and tweaked it so it's little high at 20, and right in at 30.  Not much drop from 30 to 40 either, still really good coverage.  Pic is of 40 yards.  I may have run out of cardboard recently.IMG_20200519_165449.thumb.jpg.8a8295f8343b9d1d5475d9d18e7487ea.jpg

40 is definitely pushing it.  Lots of voids.   

• Like 1

On 5/8/2020 at 7:41 PM, UpStateRedNeck said:

I just ordered another pair of sights, with adjustable height.  I'm just not comfortable shooting low like that.  I like my aim point to be right where the head meets the neck.

TRUGLO TRUBEAD Universal Series 3 Dot Sights for Ventilated Rib Shotguns https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004Z5C4KK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_83ETEb3AX3GWQ

I like the looks of those.....I am using a Vortex Venom on my 12GA but would like something for my 20GA. How are they working out for you?

12 hours ago, ApexerER said:

I like the looks of those.....I am using a Vortex Venom on my 12GA but would like something for my 20GA. How are they working out for you?

Well, I kept the front sight from the first sights I ordered.  Link is earlier in the thread.  The rear sights worked really, really good.  Only complaint is the Alan bolt that tightens the windage is insanely small and looks like it strips really easy.  I tweaked mine 4 times and it wasn't gripping well at all anymore.

Pic you can see it was just a smidge off at 20, first shot.  I set the elevation up, and had it centered within 5 shots.  

IMG_20200519_161300.jpg

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

What gun is this again? A turkey choke and turkey load combo these days should get you to 40 with ease. I’d definitely keep max range to 30 with this setup. Depending on how close you like to shoot your birds. I would also shoot #6 if you do not plan to shoot long distances. Added pellet count but still effective to 40+

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

7 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

What gun is this again? A turkey choke and turkey load combo these days should get you to 40 with ease. I’d definitely keep max range to 30 with this setup. Depending on how close you like to shoot your birds. I would also shoot #6 if you do not plan to shoot long distances. Added pellet count but still effective to 40+

Well if you see ant online holler!  Everywhere seems cleaned out in the Albany area.

4 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

You are shooting a mossberg 500 right? I have a couple chokes laying around I can send you to see if it will improve that pattern.

Yeah the old 500.  She's 29 years old this year, and my first gun.  Don't really want to put her out to pasture.  I've tried the 2 in the title thread, that's it other than the Full choke that came with the bird barrel.

I would try a cheap undertaker choke tube. Worked well in all my 500 guns. I’ve got a few that could be borrowed as well, but most certainly need back. LOL I have a tightwad 660, undertaker 665 and a factory xxfull 670

Think I might order that undertaker, and has anyone tried the Truglo TG182X 
in the old Mossberg 500?  Willing to try a couple others, and return them to amazon if they don't improve things at all.

Also open to suggestions!

Definitely try the undertaker. And I’ve seen the truglo.. never too impressed. If your willing to spend a few extra.. Indian creek or Jebs are phenomenal choke makers. Also. Deep clean your barrel.. scrub it good then polish it up so it shines like a diamond. Shooting over and over and over exapecially different types of loads will ruin the next pattern.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

Definitely try the undertaker. And I’ve seen the truglo.. never too impressed. If your willing to spend a few extra.. Indian creek or Jebs are phenomenal choke makers. Also. Deep clean your barrel.. scrub it good then polish it up so it shines like a diamond. Shooting over and over and over exapecially different types of loads will ruin the next pattern.

You and the Buckmaster both recommend, I ordered it last night.  Indian Creek is out of stock.

Let's hope it tightens the pattern up a bit, at least to 40.  I'd be happy with that.

You and the Buckmaster both recommend, I ordered it last night.  Indian Creek is out of stock.

Let's hope it tightens the pattern up a bit, at least to 40.  I'd be happy with that.

Midway has the Indian creek right now. Guessing low stock so hurry over

• Thanks 1

On 4/3/2021 at 6:15 PM, UpStateRedNeck said:

Wish I could try it first, 70$ + shipping.

Just pay attention to your constriction sizes as you try these chokes and what your patterns are doing. Its not just the brand of choke that makes a gun perform.. Constriction sizes of these chokes are what matter most, choke design can/will further that performance, with certain loads. 

Mossberg 500 is not overbored like the 835 or other guns.. So typically a tighter choke will usually help. 

when i shot my 500, i had a undertaker in it and it was lights out to 50(on paper)

23 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

Just pay attention to your constriction sizes as you try these chokes and what your patterns are doing. Its not just the brand of choke that makes a gun perform.. Constriction sizes of these chokes are what matter most, choke design can/will further that performance, with certain loads. 

Mossberg 500 is not overbored like the 835 or other guns.. So typically a tighter choke will usually help. 

when i shot my 500, i had a undertaker in it and it was lights out to 50(on paper)

Yeah I was reading about that.  The Indian Creek choke available for Mossberg accuchoke is a .675, the undertaker is .665.  We'll see which is better for the #5 XX's.

They're gobbling their heads off at my house this morning!

• Like 1

On 4/8/2021 at 7:31 AM, UpStateRedNeck said:

Yeah I was reading about that.  The Indian Creek choke available for Mossberg accuchoke is a .675, the undertaker is .665.  We'll see which is better for the #5 XX's.

They're gobbling their heads off at my house this morning!

ITs funny I mentioned this, I shot my 410 over the weekend and the cheap factory choke performed better than the 75$ Indian creek choke. Both being slightly different in constriction(.005") tells me how important the numbers game really is per shot size. 

Also shot my 28ga as well and the Indian creek out performed the Carlsons (cheaper choke by far) but like the 410, they both were .005" different in constriciton 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

ITs funny I mentioned this, I shot my 410 over the weekend and the cheap factory choke performed better than the 75$ Indian creek choke. Both being slightly different in constriction(.005") tells me how important the numbers game really is per shot size. 

Also shot my 28ga as well and the Indian creek out performed the Carlsons (cheaper choke by far) but like the 410, they both were .005" different in constriciton 

Its going to be interesting, tomorrow I should be able to try out the undertaker with #5 shot.