Longbeard XR vs Cabela's choke tubes

UpStateRedNeck

I wouldn't lower your site.  Your pattern is hitting the neck and head while aiming where the feathers on the neck stop.

If you lower the site, your beed is going to be covering up the head. I like to see the head rather than covering it. 

1 hour ago, LET EM GROW said:

My memory I shot, sorry if it’s dry but do you have any other loads to try? You should still be shooting better IMO. But the X-r and undertaker is decent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have 8 rounds of XR #5 and about 2 boxes of XX #5.  Wish I had some good #6 to play with.  No ammo anywhere that I can find.  I really prefer to out the sight right in the middle of the neck, maybe tweak the sight down just a smidge.

I just see your gun being so much better than this. Heres pictures from when I used to shoot a 12ga..  of my Mossy 500 with undertaker choke and XR 5s and my 535 with factory xxfull with xr 4s both at 30 yards. and 3rd is my 535 xxfull with 3.5" #4 xr at 65 yards 

20160419_171551.jpg

IMG_20150414_121328_804.jpeg

ResizedImage_1397394362806.jpeg

29 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

I just see your gun being so much better than this. Heres pictures from when I used to shoot a 12ga..  of my Mossy 500 with undertaker choke and XR 5s and my 535 with factory xxfull with xr 4s both at 30 yards. and 3rd is my 535 xxfull with 3.5" #4 xr at 65 yards 

20160419_171551.jpg

IMG_20150414_121328_804.jpeg

ResizedImage_1397394362806.jpeg

I think the undertaker is more centered than the last choke tube.  So the rear sight might need to be tweaked a bit back to center.  I'll also clean the barrel thoroughly this time.  It does make me want to upgrade my turkey gun, but not this year.

Definitely seems like 870's are the superior shotgun to the old 500.  I still love her though.  Never forget your first. 

I love bird hunting, and at this point in my life there's no reason why I should have a real turkey gun.

The old Mossberg may wind up with a smooth bore slug barrel on her and sitting in my closet with 00 buckshot hidden way up high.  If there's one gun I don't even need to think about loading in the dark and half asleep it's that one.

• Like 2

Definitely seems like 870's are the superior shotgun to the old 500.  I still love her though.  Never forget your first. 
I love bird hunting, and at this point in my life there's no reason why I should have a real turkey gun.
The old Mossberg may wind up with a smooth bore slug barrel on her and sitting in my closet with 00 buckshot hidden way up high.  If there's one gun I don't even need to think about loading in the dark and half asleep it's that one.

My 500 mossbergs shoot great as well. I just got a cool after market stock to put on this one so it’s my go to 20ga now. I’d have kept my first mossberg 500 combo if I didn’t lend it to my brother and have him pawn it on me, as well as my 17hmr. First 2 guns I ever bought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Ran out of staples for theast shot, but man this thing is throwing a pattern way off center.  New sight is set as high and to the right as it can go.  I really liked the pattern it was throwing with #4 shot, which I randomly found one of, but isn't pictured here.  At least I know she's not shooting high now.

IMG_20210505_124546.jpg

IMG_20210505_130919.jpg

• 9 months later...
On 4/21/2021 at 12:28 PM, UpStateRedNeck said:

Tweaked my sight just a smidge, deep cleaning on the barrel.  Still holes in the pattern, good to 40 I guess.  Maybe next year a Benelli super Blackhawk 2?  Depends on the ammo situation.  30 year old gun, still seems like the pattern should have less holes in it.

Oddly enough, I found a Benelli SBH2 today, but this thing was so dirty and scuffed inside the action, barrel, I just didn't trust it.  Guy was willing to go down to 1k on it, but I went with the brand new Stoeger for 800$ instead.  Came with a predator and a turkey choke too.

PXL_20220228_184835377.jpg